stop crashing

socal

could you guys do me a favor and stop hurting yourselves its stressing me out, i feel for ya, and every time im like oh man:( that sucks

cambo

Avid Rider
that's so crazy, I was thinking the same thing and you know what, I was almost that third one yesterday...

I was making a downhill, left turn and this car from the g'damn far right lane decides to make an erratic left turn as well to avoid the traffic up ahead.

Ah man, pucker factor ENGAGE, I stood it up and locked up the brakes which made me start to fish tail to the left...but I rode it out. Thankfully she finally noticed me and stopped and I continued my skid juuusstt missing her front bumper.

Thankfully for me...I suck at cornering and was taking this corner slow enough to react...but geeeesus. I seriously contemplated punching her mirror off. But that would've given the next biker she tries to f*ck over less of a chance.

mikefz8

Cambo I feel for ya...I was heading to work just the other day really paying attention because I had only been back on my bike less than a week (after fixing it and getting all healed up from my crash) and this effing honkey is pulling out of a strip mall with his trailer. I saw him and locked up my rear tire and applied pressure to my front. I nearly set it down and went into him--luckily I stopped just in time and I was right next to his driver side door. I was so close to stomping his door panel in! He looked at me like it was my fault with a shit eatin grin on his face. I looked at him and asked him if he thought it was funny. I wanted to punch that in too!! FML I was pissed

b-eock

****ing retards in this world. Not y'all, just the freaking drivers in cages.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

tjfisher

Wasn't a fellow fz rider but I fellow rider here at the plant pass away this past weekend . Car pull out on him and t bone him in bumpass on his way home from work . I ride daily to work but I haven't saddled Her at all this week . :(

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

cambo

Avid Rider
Cambo I feel for ya...I was heading to work just the other day really paying attention because I had only been back on my bike less than a week (after fixing it and getting all healed up from my crash) and this effing honkey is pulling out of a strip mall with his trailer. I saw him and locked up my rear tire and applied pressure to my front. I nearly set it down and went into him--luckily I stopped just in time and I was right next to his driver side door. I was so close to stomping his door panel in! He looked at me like it was my fault with a shit eatin grin on his face. I looked at him and asked him if he thought it was funny. I wanted to punch that in too!! FML I was pissed

ah dude...the shit eating grin...what a douchebag. Glad you made out alright though. At least the woman I damn near clipped gestured an apology.

TJ...sorry to hear about that man. I can relate...a guy I'm stationed here with was involved in a pretty bad wreck last month. He was in full PPE, but high sided, at 70mph...into a highway sign. He lived (they say because he was so g'damn fit and luckily an off duty copy was right behind him so medical attention was immediate), but the impact ripped his right arm off, they had to remove most of his right pec, and shattered his ribs, hip, and every bone in both legs. Hit his head so hard he was in a coma for about 3 weeks...he's awake now, but lost his memory. Doesn't recognize his 3 little girls or wife. The latest update is he's starting to put things back together in his memory but, as far as his career in the military, it's a done deal...

talk about hitting home, especially since I've got one little one and another on the way...I, too, didn't ride for about a week.

mikefz8

ah dude...the shit eating grin...what a douchebag. Glad you made out alright though. At least the woman I damn near clipped gestured an apology.

TJ...sorry to hear about that man. I can relate...a guy I'm stationed here with was involved in a pretty bad wreck last month. He was in full PPE, but high sided, at 70mph...into a highway sign. He lived (they say because he was so g'damn fit and luckily an off duty copy was right behind him so medical attention was immediate), but the impact ripped his right arm off, they had to remove most of his right pec, and shattered his ribs, hip, and every bone in both legs. Hit his head so hard he was in a coma for about 3 weeks...he's awake now, but lost his memory. Doesn't recognize his 3 little girls or wife. The latest update is he's starting to put things back together in his memory but, as far as his career in the military, it's a done deal...

talk about hitting home, especially since I've got one little one and another on the way...I, too, didn't ride for about a week.

Its a bit difficult to give this post a "thanks" but my gosh! I have 3 beautiful kids boy, girl, and boy! Cant even imagine.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I had a close call on Tuesday as well.

Narrow road with cars parallel parked against the sidewalk, and one guy came rushing out of the driveway. Freaked me out, I grabbed the front brake hard, and the front end started skidding out. luckily, he stopped and I let go pretty quick, which led me to let go, and straighten out.

Holy shit, felt super insecure after that happened. Ride safe everyone. please.

Rotaryknight

you all need go pros to at least catch it on film

Everytime I ride, I am recording. Wired a power converter to power on my Cameras everytime I start the bike up. I have a Mobius cam on the rear, and another Mobius as a helmet cam, but I can also mount it to my brake reservoir.

If anything happens, I have it on video as a precaution of my word against theirs

alexk

Weekend Rider
My view is that in any accident, regardless of fault, I lose. I should be keeping half my abilities in reserve at all times, looking farther ahead, tracking the vehicles in the parking lots, looking at leaves in the wind, dust or mist in headlights from cars out of my vision, keep myself from daydreaming... listening, watching, paying attention to my body, my bike, and my world around me.

Whether my fault or not, I can find something I could have done differently to avoid it. It's my job and my duty to society. And it's my life to save.

Remember, the only good accident is the one you successfully avoid.

Rotaryknight

My view is that in any accident, regardless of fault, I lose. I should be keeping half my abilities in reserve at all times, looking farther ahead, tracking the vehicles in the parking lots, looking at leaves in the wind, dust or mist in headlights from cars out of my vision, keep myself from daydreaming... listening, watching, paying attention to my body, my bike, and my world around me.

Whether my fault or not, I can find something I could have done differently to avoid it. It's my job and my duty to society. And it's my life to save.

Like they say in MSF classes. You are responsible for your own safety. Though some incidents arent entirely avoidable no matter how hard you try but 99% of the time, everything is avoidable.

Last edited:

ssky0078

skills, skills, skills. Everyone has to keep practicing, evasive maneuvers, emergency stopping, road awareness, obstacle avoidance, etc.

I'm finally getting comfortable with giving a good hand of front brake. I usually just lock up the rear and power slide like a boss but lately I've been challenging myself to brake faster and harder. I had just made a passing maneuver this afternoon and the light changed to yellow. I got on the brakes, locked up the rear and started to get more and more firmer on the front to control the slide and came to a safe stop.

Remember that there are consequences in any moment on the road.

krillz

Absolutely, thats why a 3hr ride wears me out. Its a lot of work riding a motorcycle.

RD GUY

thought I would chime in and give my 2 cents,been riding for over 30years ,I have help a lot of new riders to learn how to ride the first thing I tell them is that everyone is out to kill you and I mean everyone! cars, trucks ,buses,cops,bikes,etc...,I know this sounds harsh but it is a reality,i cant count the number of times when I ,ve seen a car up ahead and thought this guy is going to pull out in front of me and he does! people just don't see us ,as for listening to music while riding is not a safe thing, stay focused ,and alert to your surrounings and have a safe ride and by all means don't ride above your skill level,cause we all know what will happen,seen it to many times,so ride safe and enjoy the ride .

97audia4

thought I would chime in and give my 2 cents,been riding for over 30years ,I have help a lot of new riders to learn how to ride the first thing I tell them is that everyone is out to kill you and I mean everyone! cars, trucks ,buses,cops,bikes,etc...,I know this sounds harsh but it is a reality,i cant count the number of times when I ,ve seen a car up ahead and thought this guy is going to pull out in front of me and he does! people just don't see us ,as for listening to music while riding is not a safe thing, stay focused ,and alert to your surrounings and have a safe ride and by all means don't ride above your skill level,cause we all know what will happen,seen it to many times,so ride safe and enjoy the ride .

Every thing you said is what I think while riding and to be honest my gopro has detered a loy of people from starting an argument after I confront them. Just knowing that I will report amd have reported bad driving before and I can prove it with video. Most people apoligize and I move on but if you want to dispute video evidence and argue then ill call the cops and submit the video.

ssky0078

I would say I take the opposite approach as the 'they're all out to kill me' philosophy. I believe that if you think something you are more likely to make it happen. When I ride I focus on lane position to maximize my safety and visibility by other motorist. I control my speed and am aware of my ability to safely navigate obstacles.

I use the 'Force' (hehe) to mentally tell motorist to stop. I think in the 20,000 miles I've ridden in the last 9 months, I've only had 2 cars pull out in front of me and both weren't paying attention at all. And 1 of them to be honest I pulled a move that really put them on the spot so I was in part to blame.

Honestly thinking about how people are out to kill you only puts you in a heightened stress response and cognitive function declines in the worse case scenario generating tunnel vision and abrupt inputs into the motorcycle.

Relax and be aware of your surroundings, get a little kung fu/tai chi/qi gong with it if you know what I mean.