Stock suspension Prelaod +2 thoughts

[]V[]addog

hey guys, I know alot of people think the stock suspension is shit, but for the type of riding I do, it seems more than capable, I might change my mind later on, but at the moment, I'm liking it just fine.

So I tightened the preload 2 notches the other day from its default location. You can notice it being a little more stiff, but not enough for the ride to be uncomfortable. So my impression of doing this is it makes the bike feel a little tighter on the road, but in a good way. I haven't taken it on along trip yet that way, but I suspect the ride will be similar just a little more confidence inspiring in the corners.

Oh and I'm 5'10 200 lbs. my drive style is spirited, but do not come close to scraping knees. Mostly every day driving, with some twisties on the weekend.

PS: 2nd gen FZ1 shock for sale if someone wants it.

Bajaedition

the stock suspension on the FZ8 is more than capable for the design points of the bike
remember it is a standard bike not a sports bike
if you wanted a bike with a sports bike suspension, you should have gone out and bought a sports bike.

I push my bike quite a bit when I hit the twisties, and have adjusted the damping to suit that, both with settings and changing the fork oil.

the Preload is all about your weight, PRELOAD. it sets the bike up to set a certain way with your weight on it.

OK, now, if you want a different spring rate you can change those also, but preload is preload, not spring rate or damping.

Marthy

the stock suspension on the FZ8 is more than capable for the design points of the bike
if you wanted a bike with a sports bike suspension, you should have gone out and bought a sports bike.

I push my bike quite a bit when I hit the twisties, and have adjusted the damping to suit that, both with settings and changing the fork oil.

the Preload is all about your weight, PRELOAD. it sets the bike up to set a certain way with your weight on it.

OK, now, if you want a different spring rate you can change those also, but preload is preload, not spring rate or damping.

I've been around few bike forum for the past 3 years and seen many post about the subject. Finally someone that understand!!! Cranking preload doesn't change spring rate, it only change the amount of load that you need to initially move the spring. (aka adjusting droop or sagging)

Thanks Mate, that just made my day! LOL

[]V[]addog

I've been around few bike forum for the past 3 years and seen many post about the subject. Finally someone that understand!!! Cranking preload doesn't change spring rate, it only change the amount of load that you need to initially move the spring. (aka adjusting droop or sagging)

Thanks Mate, that just made my day! LOL

So are you saying that adjusting the preload will not affect how the bike feels at all? because if preload is set up for my weight and size now, and it wasn't before. So if the spring doesn't "initial move (drop or sag)" as much like you mentioned... Meaning The preload is setup to better reflect my weight... me noticing it being more stiff (initially) can still be an accurate statement.

So I'm not really sure what you two are getting at or laughing about. I never said I wanted a supersport bike, with supersport like suspension, etc, I never said I was changing the spring rate. I know there is a difference in springs rates, rebound, compression, shocks, etc. None of that was mentioned in my original post... All I was simply saying is that I know there is a lot of talk about the suspension on these bikes being crap, and that I feel the stock suspension is fine and that having the correct pre load feels better for me. Simply offering another point of view from the people interesting in buying a fazer of fz8 or someone thinking they need to upgrade their suspension.

Trooper

The pre 2013 FZ8 and Fazer 8 come with preload adjustability in the rear only. Please do not confuse preload and damping....they are two different things.

When you add preload, all you are doing is essentially changing the ride height of the bike by compressing the spring more. Since the spring on our bikes are "linear", the rate does not change. The springs main characteristic is that it exerts an amount of force based on how far it is compressed.

F= k * x

F= spring constant(K) X distance( in mm or inches)

Therefore, it feels stiffer the more you compress it, even though the rate does not change.

The major downside of the stock shock is its lack of rebound dampening. Do this little experiment:

Stand to the left of your bike ( kickstand side), and let the bike lean on you (kickstand up). Put your hands on the seat and push down as hard as you can. Observe the speed that the shock will re-extend.

Chances are that the seat explodes up without offering any resistance against the springs " memory". What this causes, especially in cornering, is rear end wallow as the shock is using stroke to absorb centrifugal forces pushing on the suspension, and since there is not enough rebound "damping", it kicks and wallows all over the road. The only ways to get rid of this are as follows:

• slow down
  • buy a better shock with rebound damping

Last edited:

RoadKill

Yamaha considers it a sports bike. but not a supersport.