Stock exhaust

Suave96

I have the 2011 model and I kinda like the stock exhaust. This is my 1st bike so I may be just happy to be on 2 wheels. I'm always getting compliments on it. I was wondering if everyone changes the pipe because they don't like the way it looks or is it not loud enough?

cambo

Avid Rider
I have the 2011 model and I kinda like the stock exhaust. This is my 1st bike so I may be just happy to be on 2 wheels. I'm always getting compliments on it. I was wondering if everyone changes the pipe because they don't like the way it looks or is it not loud enough?

For me it was both.

Where abouts in Georgia are you? I was stationed in Warner Robins for about 2 years. Probably the only assignment that I miss. Folks there are some of the nicest I've ever met.

NoNine4me

Not everyone changes the pipe. Bike runs great with the stock pipe. I used to put a pipe on every bike I had, well, most of them. No more.

Suave96

@cambo I'm in Marietta. Yeah it's funny how people are just naturally nice down here. @nonine why did you stop adding exhausts?

Rotaryknight

I changed mines mostly because of the weight and it just looks better to me. If I am going on a 200+ mile tour, I put the stock exhaust back on. The loud noise will irritate you soon enough.

master paper clip

I've gone threw a nice little exhaust line up with this bike, had stock for a little but was to quite, I didn't buy a Prius so I just took it off an rocked open headers for a while, was ok at first cause it sounded awsome and my bike made noise finally, well then I decide let's make a shorty pipe out of the stock, yeah after a while it got reall buzzy at steady speeds past 55... But stupid me I cut my stock, so got another and rode around like a hybrid till again couldn't take the silence so this time I took a few inches off the muffler body... Now this worked, sounded good and all but after the initial "yay" moments I found the down sides, after this I broke down and bought a dan Moto, what a great idea the exhaust sounded amazing and wasn't annoying at any steady speed for extended periods of time, even took a 400+ mile ride on it and no complaints.... now I have a 2brothers and same great ness as the dan Moto just sounds way better....
I've had stock, I've had loud, I've had a cheap slip on and now a quality one. And to me nothing beats the sound of your bike making a beautiful an angry bark... If u have questions about certain slip ons I would ask Cambo since he has been threw like 100 slip ons

Suave96

I've gone threw a nice little exhaust line up with this bike, had stock for a little but was to quite, I didn't buy a Prius so I just took it off an rocked open headers for a while, was ok at first cause it sounded awsome and my bike made noise finally, well then I decide let's make a shorty pipe out of the stock, yeah after a while it got reall buzzy at steady speeds past 55... But stupid me I cut my stock, so got another and rode around like a hybrid till again couldn't take the silence so this time I took a few inches off the muffler body... Now this worked, sounded good and all but after the initial "yay" moments I found the down sides, after this I broke down and bought a dan Moto, what a great idea the exhaust sounded amazing and wasn't annoying at any steady speed for extended periods of time, even took a 400+ mile ride on it and no complaints.... now I have a 2brothers and same great ness as the dan Moto just sounds way better....
I've had stock, I've had loud, I've had a cheap slip on and now a quality one. And to me nothing beats the sound of your bike making a beautiful an angry bark... If u have questions about certain slip ons I would ask Cambo since he has been threw like 100 slip ons
I think ill just roll with the stock for a lil while. I may get the all black Coffman in the spring.

NoNine4me

@cambo I'm in Marietta. Yeah it's funny how people are just naturally nice down here. @nonine why did you stop adding exhausts?
Got old, I guess. Truth is that with fuel injection and the modern designs we can get fantastic performance out of stock components. Just a reflash of the ECU with stock setup will get us more power and a smoother powerband. So the performance gains by changing out a whole system or putting on a loud slip-on aren't really worth the trouble anymore.

We can definitely get more ultimate power by going to a complete system but that is so expensive, it could be a couple of grand or more by the time the thing is dyno'd and remapped. Say $2500 for a full system and PCV plus tuning. For that dough I could've bought a literbike.

Back in the days of carburetors the pipes and slip-ons were more effective along with rejetting to cure some emissions-related driveability stuff. But now, not so much. I'd rather put my dough into suspension, tires, track time.

I also got sensitive to the noise and the effect it had on my neighbors. But that comes with age.:D

TorontoAlex

I like my stock exhaust. On my old cb750 I had a full yoshi system, and that was a nice exhaust. Was a bit loud and you could see blue flame coming out at night. I don't really like the look of the aftermarket exhausts today. Color and graphics is kinda cheesy to me. I guess cause every honda civic and pickup truck i see now have stickers and exhausts, drive around like they are trying to impress with the loud noise, i hear people saying "wow what a douche with that muffler" more than "wow look at that sweet loud exhaust! he must be cool."

DSmith

I got rid of my stock exhaust for a 2bros. I liked the carbon fiber look with a little bit of gold on it, it looks bad ass on the FZ8. The FZ8 is such a bad ass looking bike and the stock exhaust just didnt fit with the style of the bike. Im not one for over the top loud so I threw a dB killer in it. And if im going for real long hauls I'll throw the stock back on.

NoNine4me

I got rid of my stock exhaust for a 2bros. I liked the carbon fiber look with a little bit of gold on it, it looks bad ass on the FZ8. The FZ8 is such a bad ass looking bike and the stock exhaust just didnt fit with the style of the bike. Im not one for over the top loud so I threw a dB killer in it. And if im going for real long hauls I'll throw the stock back on.
I used to swap out my Dale Walker slip-on for the stock can on my 2005 FZ1 when I'd take the longer rides. It ran well with the slip-on but the power band was smoother with the stock canister, and less vibration in the pegs.

NoNine4me

I like my stock exhaust. On my old cb750 I had a full yoshi system, and that was a nice exhaust. Was a bit loud and you could see blue flame coming out at night. I don't really like the look of the aftermarket exhausts today. Color and graphics is kinda cheesy to me. I guess cause every honda civic and pickup truck i see now have stickers and exhausts, drive around like they are trying to impress with the loud noise, i hear people saying "wow what a douche with that muffler" more than "wow look at that sweet loud exhaust! he must be cool."
I put a full Kerker "White Tip" system on my 1989 Katana 750. What a huge difference. Just cleaned up the whole powerband with great low end and midrange. But it took me a couple of weeks to get it rejetted, which is removing the tank, airbox, bank of carbs, all hoses and cables, all four float bowls, all four main jets, R&R those, reassemble, and test ride. Do that a few times, it'll cure you of wanting to mess with pipes.

We got it made now with ECUs and fuel mapping.