Still leaking

12marsFZ8

I had my bike in a couple months ago, the valve cover was leaking, they said they tightened the bolts, its still leaking and now its leaking from crankcase. Anyone else have these problems? its only got 2900 miles on her.

D

Deleted member 438

Some one posted last year that they were over filled with oil from the factory and I think it created some problems for him.

impostor1981

Mine was over filled but no leaks after 12000 miles were noticed, but I was expecting over fill from day one, based on experience with yamaha, so I drained excess of oil before it made damge to the seals. Yamaha always over fills fluids. Check ur oil and brake fluid levels guys ;-)

the borg

My left side cover has a slight leak. I bought a gasket ($1.08) and gasket seal so I can replace it myself. From looking at the one I bought it appears to be a paper gasket. All my Kawasaki's I had used a type of compression gasket that worked fantastic and never leaked.

12marsFZ8

Well I got an answer back from the dealer, its my fault its leaking. I over filled it and the oil went up into the air box and the oil is leaking out over the motor. yeah right!! I put 3 quarts in and let it run and it was in between the sight glass. I even did the air box mod when it was leaking, and there wasn't a drop of oil in there. I think its time for a new dealer.

Harrywz

Well I got an answer back from the dealer, its my fault its leaking. I over filled it and the oil went up into the air box and the oil is leaking out over the motor. yeah right!! I put 3 quarts in and let it run and it was in between the sight glass. I even did the air box mod when it was leaking, and there wasn't a drop of oil in there. I think its time for a new dealer.

Is this wetness under the valve cover rubber seal?

the borg

I just finished replacing the left side cover gasket. Not to difficult but you have to be careful removing the cover because the generator is press fit onto the cover. When you pull off the cover be careful that the generator washer and spacer don't fall off. If they do then the washers goes on first and the tapered end of the spacer faces the generator.

Because the generator is connected to the cover you need tie the cover up to hold it while you remove the old gasket and prep the new one. I installed the new gasket with gasket sealer. When I removed the old one I noticed that there was no type of sealer just the paper gasket. I think that was causing my leak.

The next challenge was getting the cover back on because the gears of the generator need to be aligned so the cover will fit flush. Not to difficult but I needed to move the gear a few times to get it to line up then the cover slid right on. Now we will see if i fixed the problem.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Why don't you fix the leak and be on your way to the next issue you will encounter.. Easy to work on these bikes.

Harrywz

Yes on both sides of the valve cover and, drips from the right side of the motor farther down.

I had that happen on an 07 R1. Not the leak further down but from the valve cover. The FZ8 has basically the same motor. My 07 was new when I bought it in 09. Dealer replaced the valve cover gasket. Before I got home which was about 7 miles from the dealer, had oil all over the shifter. Gasket was not installed properly. Got dealer to pick it up and was ready a few days later. I cleaned the block under the valve cover with kerosene rode back and forth to work a few times and it was good. Now the weekend came and I was riding it hard and when done for the day, had moisture about 1/4" wide under the gasket on the block on both sides. Not heavy, just slight staining. Went back to the dealer, complained again. They were going to check with Yamaha on this issue. I traded the bike less than a week later on an 09 R1. The funny thing is my brother bought the bike from the dealer 7 months later, using Rotella and no staining.

When I got my Fazer at the end of May, had same staining. I cleaned it up a couple of times and now its no problem. Had 2000km on clock when I got it, now has 7000km. For our US friends, multiply the mileage by .6 for 4200m on my bike.Just back from a good run and its all dry. Also using synthetic oil now and made sure I was close to the line when full. Filled oil while bike was on rear stand.

12marsFZ8

Why don't you fix the leak and be on your way to the next issue you will encounter.. Easy to work on these bikes.

I was going to when it first came about but, why should I the customer, have to fix something on it when its only 4 months old and there's a Yamaha 1 year warranty? The dealer is not helping me out in any way at all. Plus they left it out in the rain and now its got rain drip stains all over it.

12marsFZ8

Now my bike stalls out when you rev it a little bit, seems like the idle is below 1000rpms. smells like something is burning too.

12marsFZ8

OK, so i called Yamaha and talked to them, they agreed with me and want it to be fixed as well. They said regardless if it really was overfilled with oil, not by my hand I know for a fact, the gasket needs to be replaced. Now i just need to find a good dealer to do the service, anyone know of a good quality yamaha dealer in southeast Michigan?

On a side note, i think its really crappy that i had to call Yamaha to get this problem fixed. Dealerships are suppose to help when there is something wrong, I guess the dealer i went to failed at doing what they are supposed to do.

H

Hoover

OK, so i called Yamaha and talked to them, they agreed with me and want it to be fixed as well. They said regardless if it really was overfilled with oil, not by my hand I know for a fact, the gasket needs to be replaced. Now i just need to find a good dealer to do the service, anyone know of a good quality yamaha dealer in southeast Michigan?

On a side note, i think its really crappy that i had to call Yamaha to get this problem fixed. Dealerships are suppose to help when there is something wrong, I guess the dealer i went to failed at doing what they are supposed to do.

Unfortunately, you are not alone. Motorcyle dealers are notoriously lousy, especially warranty stuff.
There are many reasons. Yamaha has a very strict "territory" policy which prevents there being multiple dealers in an area. This means your dealer knows you have no choice but to use them. Interestingly, the other 3 Japanese manufactures are much more lenient.
Waranty work pays squat to the dealer compared to billable hours and consequently, the top techs are kept for the "money" jobs and the trainee's and journeyman techs for waranty stuff.

As your dealer was the one that over filled your bike, they are going to be very reluctant to fix the problem.
Sorry, you may be better off to just fix it yourself and bite the bullet.

Fzcrusin8

Not sure where in the mitten you are but holiday powersports in jackson is where I go. There okay but i would trust full throttle in Lansing with out a doubt. Haven't herd anything bad about them. I'm one to fix things myself so I'm going off previous stories. Hope this helps!