Stealth Button

Mint

A couple of weeks back I installed what I reckon has to be the most useful thing I have added to my 8......A Garage Remote...lol. I have to wear a fluorescent vest at all times when I am at work....this has meant that its easier just to wear one on top of my leather jacket when going backwards and forwards to work. The result of this was that I have to stop outside, stick bike in neutral, open my flouro, remove my glove, unzip my leather jacket pocket and rummage around in my pocket for the remote...remove the makeshift cover which stops the open button being pressed in my pocket ( happened twice so far and left my garage open all day)....I can then open my garage.........just a tad annoying...so I decided there must be a better way. And there was....one cheapo replacement garage door opener from ebay $11.74 (original is $80)....one waterproof momentary N/o push button from ebay....6 for $6......and a about 2m of 2 core instrument cable ...I am an electrical maintenance engineer, so that wasn’t a problem. Figured out the contact points for the opener to work, soldered them on, drilled a small hole in the casing, replaced in a makeshift cover to stop any buttons getting pressed...and positioned under the seat. Ran the cable to the front...now the scary part I admit was drilling a 12mm hole in bike for the button....but it turned out brilliant and not one person has been able to pick that the button is not an original part of the bike. If I sold the bike I would just leave it there....and baffle the next owner...lol. All in all though it works perfectly, I can press it about 75m from my house and by the time I get there I just cruise right in. I have seen on another post someone using the blank on the left hand switches and putting a button in there, but on the aussie version that is the hazard indicator button, and I didn’t want to mess with my actual electrics.:)

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
Just ordered 3 remotes and 3 switches. (3 switches with free shipping were cheaper than 1 with shipping charges). I'm totally going to yoink your idea. You rock!

F

fz8kansas

Alright damnit, now I have another project for the winter!