Stealership

b-eock

Just got quoted $250 for a clutch plate install. Now I know why they're called stealerships. That's crazy. I'll be doing that on my own.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

alexk

Weekend Rider
Devil's advocate piping up here...

My local dealer bills out for $80/hr labor + parts

How much are the parts, how much are the tools, and how long would it take you to do? On my prior bike (Buell Blast), replacing the pressure plates on the clutch was a 2 hour job on a good day.

Now, realize they have to pay for licensing, training, leasing the building, the overhead of the front desk and management staff...

But to support why you should do it yourself - aren't you supposed to soak the plates in the oil you plan on using for 24h prior to installation? Guaranteed they won't do that. =p

b-eock

Yeah, I have heard 24-48 hours minimum soak time. Labor is like $99/Hr. Clutch kit is $187 through the dealership. And a $250 service fee was quoted. I have seen it done in less than 40 mins from removing the crank case cover to putting it back on...

Marthy

Yeah, I have heard 24-48 hours minimum soak time. Labor is like $99/Hr. Clutch kit is $187 through the dealership. And a $250 service fee was quoted. I have seen it done in less than 40 mins from removing the crank case cover to putting it back on...

40 minutes? Were yoy watching TV at the same time... LOL

Agree with you... no need to pay for something you can do better yourself.

Easy iob when y I u get at it. I just dump my clutch plates in a bucket with oil and I change my clutch the next day on my lunch break. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

cambo

Avid Rider
b-eock

two questions:

1) Would you be able to create a how-to for this? very interested to see how it's done. Everything from the soaking you mentioned to that first wheelie you pull after you're done. ;)

2) How do I get to be a forum stunter? How many wheelies must I do?

b-eock

Don't ask me :p lol y'all labeled me that!.

And there are two videos I've seen. And favorited. I'll link to them and do a write up if that's what y'all want!

b-eock

I'll try /.\ maybe Marthy would be a better candidate seeing as he's done it before. And this would be my first mechanical write up and first clutch plate change. I have general gist, just never done it before. I have worked on things all my life. Learned lots by doing it first hand though.

HenryT

Clutch plate change is pretty easy did one in a parking lot back in the day. Have a good 1/4" or 3/8" torque wrench ready and know the torque specs for the pressure plate bolts. Without having any body work in the way, draining the crankcase will probably be necessary too since street bikes are not fun to lay on their sides. Probably a 2 hour job for a home mechanic.

I installed a Barnett extra plate clutch kit and stronger springs in my GS750 back in the day because the weak stock clutch would slip at high revs. That kit made a world of difference, worked awesome!! A joke though that the stock clutch would slip on a new bike, but that was 1983 and bikes were just starting to make more power then, I did not want to mess with warranty cause I knew just what the bike needed...a stouter clutch.

Marthy

No worry. Get the clutch and a side cover gasket just in case it brake when you pull the cover off. Then remove the bolts that hold the springs (6 I think) then pull the clutch pack out. Pay attention to the order it goes out... put the new one in in the same order. Put everything back together with proper torque specs. You don't have to drain the oil but since the clutch mihyt have slip a lot you oil is contaminated... so it won't hurt if you change it anyway.

At the max it a 30 min 1 hr job. Its honestly easier than changing spark plugs. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

RoadKill

lol Marthy easier than a plug change on this bike isn't hard to do ;) i have changed my plugs twice so far and would still love to see a video for the clutch change!

ssky0078

I must admit sometimes I feel that I'm getting ripped off when I need work done on the bike. When I am talking with the service manager I always ask him what the hours will be to perform whatever is needed to be done on my bike. I understand paying someone's hourly fee because that is what they have calculated to make a living and keep the lights on in their business. However, my shop cuts me deals on parts all the time, matches internet prices, tires I get for $10 over their cost, etc.

My point is that I've developed a relationship with these guys where I can respect them as professionals making a living, and they seem to respect me as a human being paying for my motorcycle needs.

As to your point of it being a flat $250 to do a clutch job, if you didn't ask for an hourly quote for your specific bike the guy may have just referenced the last time he did a clutch on a GSXR1000 or some other fully faired bike that will take longer to take off the plastics and protect them in the process, obviously taking more time. If it takes about 2 hours at $99 an hour that works out to $200 bucks.

b-eock

No, I am a great friend with the owner. He gave me a deal on my trade in when I first got the bike. (Trade in went to down payment.) He let me test ride it multiple times before I bought it and took it to the DMV. Not in that order. Before I bought it, he brought it in his truck to the DMV for me before I paid for it. And let me use his insurance. They quoted it out of the FZ8 manual they have. I watched the guy pull it out. So he didn't just say a random number. I'll do it. I know how to do it. Just a first time thing, and I have anxiety/panic attacks. But I'll do it as soon as I order my new plates.

RoadKill

i have to say that even though it may be fair to pay someone for they're work, money is hard to come by these days. So if you can do it yourself and things are tight, do it. Mechanics do deserve to get paid but when the work needs to be done and you don't have the cash.....

ssky0078

Speaking of money being tight, anybody know a website designer that wants to make a potential million dollar web idea a reality.

b-eock

Got my clutch plate kit ordered. Went with the stock kit instead of Barnet's well because moneys tight and I have to order a new chain and sprocket set soon. Will be going with SuperSprox. Stock gearing.

Last edited:

mckshred

dealership stock oem replacement battery

Went to the stealership this am because it was pretty much the only thing open. Got a quote of $169 ($129 on ebay to my surprise) for the stock battery replacement. Needless to say, I passed. I do buy some things from them, synthetic oil, but that price is ridiculous.

I've developed a decent relationship with a different Yamaha dealer which has been a give and take on costs for services. I always ask as many questions about the time and process to get a particular job done. Some parts or services are discounted and some aren't. I really think in the end, it's kind of like Vegas, if you keep going back enough times - they are going to get their money.