Spools?

Woody146

Banned
Why buy cheap spools for your $10,000 motorcycle? Yamaha's were about $40, made in Canada.

Speedmetal seems to make good ones, too.

That is a pretty thin bolt, 6mm. My Suzuki uses a much larger bolt. But it does the job as long as it's good quality.

Yamaha 6 mill..Suzuki 8 mill...can't change that...factory drilled holes...doubt anyone want to bore out their swing arm spool holes

JDZIII

spools?

You can get a set of cheap rear swingarm spools for the rear for the stand and just fork stand for the front like i did from home troopers on ebay.

If your worried about crash damage than you should probably go with a slider set. The OEM bar weights have that double function, then get a frame slider and sliders for other points of concern that you know may hit if the bike goes down on its side.

ZombieCrewChief

You can get a set of cheap rear swingarm spools for the rear for the stand and just fork stand for the front like i did from home troopers on ebay.

If your worried about crash damage than you should probably go with a slider set. The OEM bar weights have that double function, then get a frame slider and sliders for other points of concern that you know may hit if the bike goes down on its side.

I ordered spool/slider. Woodcraft 6mm. $29.99 and tax. I don't exactly think they are cheap. You get what you pay. Most cheap ones are about $15 bucks and they really are only for stand/looks purposes. The sliders I ordered gives me a little bit more piece of mind when combined w/ frame sliders, bar ends. My last gixxer 750 had 8mm holes, these are 6mm

ZombieCrewChief

I'm confused. That is what a spool slider is for^

ZombieCrewChief

I'm just saying save money on getting one set of spools just for the rear stand and buy actual sliders that function as just that.

2012 Yamaha FZ8 Parts & Accessories - RevZilla

Yamaha Performance Parts-FZ8-Frame Sliders from SportbikeTrackGear.com

Yamaha FZ8 Motorcycle Performance Parts & Accessories

Frame sliders/Swingarm sliders/Axle sliders...They are all crash protection. There is a difference between frame sliders (the slider I think you are talking about) and spool sliders (dual purpose/protect swingarm) and axle sliders (protect axles). They are all considered crash protection but the swingarm slider also is for the stands, Hence the link you sent me has shogun swingarm sliders that are also for the stand.

There are sliders for many critical points on the bike...So I'm still confused by the comment.:confused:

The spool/sliders I bought are to compliment the frame sliders/ and eventually axle sliders I'll be getting...

JDZIII

Just wouldn't trust the cotton loom type spools in a slide or crash. Only bc of thier hour glass design. I'm saying dont count on them for crash protection on that part of the bike. Just look at the spools compared to sliders. You'll see what I mean. As far as I'm concerned, spools are only for the bike stands.

Last edited:

ZombieCrewChief

Just wouldn't trust the cotton loom type spools in a slide or crash. Only bc of thier hour glass design. I'm saying dont count on them for crash protection on that part of the bike. Just look at the spools compared to sliders. You'll see what I mean. As far as I'm concerned, spools are only for the bike stands.

I'm getting what you are putting down. Lucky for me this Woodcraft spool slider has great reviews everywhere. Even Sport bike Track Gear recommends them. They just arrived today. Looks Pretty damn good. Not too big.

JDZIII

I'm getting what you are putting down. Lucky for me this Woodcraft spool slider has great reviews everywhere. Even Sport bike Track Gear recommends them. They just arrived today. Looks Pretty damn good. Not too big.

Ya I was lookin at those too. Thinken.about grtting the myself

JDZIII

rizoma

Rizoma makes some really nice parts. Leave it to those italian engineers. The only downside is I'd be too afraidnto mess it up. Lol stuffs fo pretty. I do have the universal tail tidy which I highly recommend. Super stable. No # plate bending.

tennvol11

Rizoma makes some really nice parts. Leave it to those italian engineers. The only downside is I'd be too afraidnto mess it up. Lol stuffs fo pretty. I do have the universal tail tidy which I highly recommend. Super stable. No # plate bending.

Yeah, if they get too messed up I figure, just buy new ones. It's only money right!! Can't bury ya with it!

imaredia

I got T-rex spools with the stand i purchased from ebay, they are good i mean i don't see any problem with them also go their sliders they look awesome.