Spark Plugs and Warranty

D

DJK1505

Well Friday I got home from work, my new E3 plugs had shown up. So I hop off my bike, let it cool a bit and then start pulling the plugs out. Remove the top of the radiator get to cyl #4 and replace plug no problem. Move on to #3, and its stuck, so I work at it for about 30 min, little pen oil, bounce the ratchet trying to get it to pop loose. Well after about 30 min it finally pops. Im like sweet, and start trying to remove it. Turning for a while and nothing happening I take my ratchet out, nothing in the socket. I use my magnet and put it down the cylinder, and here a clicking sound like something attached to the magnet. I pull it up and there is half a plug! Effin plug broke off in the cylinder head. Im pissed, I go to #2 cyl and get my torque wrench out, I reverse torque it to see if it will pop loose, I get up to 85 ft lbs and it still hasn't come loose.

I call the dealership where I bought the bike from and start explaining what happened. The little kid on the phone called me a back yard mechanic and that I deserve it breaking bc Im not a yamaha trainied tech. I went off on the kid, I run two shops, one with a gross of more than 3.75 mill in revenue, have 21 techs that work for me, certified diesel tech, and run a motorcycle shop out of my garage. By now I was livid, I load the bike up on the truck and drop the bike to the side, no damage, it landed in the yard, and when I get to the dealership that little effin kid is wearing a wyotech shirt. He isnt even out of school and treating customers like that. I have several words with the service manager, and their top tech, before I call the owner on my cell. I am pretty good friends with the owner, after a long afternoon the dealer is looking at the bike, and going to repair it. I am stopping by today to make sure the engine is out, and they are not going to try and helicoil the head. Uhhh, be careful when you guys are changing your plugs, if they feel tight, take it back to the dealer and make them replace them. I have never seen plugs in a head so tight! So now its a gorgeous week and I am out a bike!

DJ

C

calscrazy

that sucks. sorry to hear that happened. i would pay to see the look on the kids face though.

BunGhoLeo

humm, getting ready to install the anti-lean plates, guess I'll give the plugs a check while their visable.

The plugs you managed to get out, was there anti-sieze on them?

hypo

guessin smog plates.

I hope that kid got the riot act read to him... WOW. I woulda gone full on DRILL INSTRUCTOR on him if he worked for me. Cannot stand snotty rookies.

FZER

Avid Rider
It's nuts, I'm really questioning Yamaha's assembling process and quality control. I bought my truck brand new and my oil plug and filter were a little tight but nothing like my oil plug was. I know my torque wrench was clicking at 85 ftlbs too. It would be nice to get in touch with the United States head yamaha CEO and get some of this sh-t straighten out. My Stratoliner had two screws stripped out in the bat wing the dealership owner did contact someone with that one. I really thought the Japanese were better than this.....The engines are assembled there.

I was thinking about getting a throttlemeister, but I'm almost scared to mess with it as well. I'm an electronics mechanic as well. Tools all day everyday.

Last edited:

lyric911

guessin smog plates.

I hope that kid got the riot act read to him... WOW. I woulda gone full on DRILL INSTRUCTOR on him if he worked for me. Cannot stand snotty rookies.

You're probably right. Anti-lean is a really poor moniker though, as they only put air in the exhaust. They can't have any effect whatsoever on AFR unless you're being dyno-tuned or autotuned.

D

DJK1505

I went ballistic on the kid! Thank god the owner and head tech were there. I prob would have slapped the kid. the look on his face was priceless when I was done. But never the less, my bike is still at the dealership and I am not happy. I truly believe they over torqued the plug on their PDI, but I can not prove that.

They have had the bike since last friday, I stopped by yesterday and they had just pulled it in the shop, but just sold 4 bikes so the tech had to work on those. I was furious. But there is absolutely nothing I can do. Looks like I will most likely get a new head out of the deal. But I am going to contact Yamaha and let them know my issues. I have bought several bikes from this dealership, and have been a devoted yamaha guy for the last 10 years. shit my garage is full of yamaha toys I have purchased over the years. I will keep you guys posted. Especially with what yamaha says.

DJ

DJ

BIGpanda

Just an FYI throw those e3 plugs in the trash or return them. They are the worst plugs ever and are known to cause hot spots and get this, BREAKING OFF IN THE HEAD. Seriously I have first hand experience with these and so do countless others, just google it. Heres one thread, I'm just trying to save you some serious pain when you get your bike back. Get some quality NGK's or something.

New E3 Plugs - Please read before purchasing! - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

D

DJK1505

Yeah, I have read countless reviews both ways. I have another set of ngk's I have already purchased. I bought them a few days ago. I just wanted to see what they are like. Read alot of people said they were awesome just burnt out, or cracked in a year. I figure I'll play with them this summer and in the fall throw the ngk back in.

Dj

D

DJK1505

OMG I am done with this dealership. I thought I knew these people, the bike is still apart, they have all the parts to put it back together but an auction is too important and his top tech has been out. He should be back tomorrow morning and my bike should be ready some time next week. I dont even know what to say. I have already contacted the BBB this evening. It will have taken them 3 weeks or more to pull the threads out of a head. I cant believe this!!!!!!!!!!!

Just plain frustrated! And the weather has been gorgeous this whole week!

DJ

H

Hoover

Once again. Post their name and all the info on here and e-mail them a link.

Bet that fixes them. :deadhorse::soapbox:

D

Deleted member 438

Maybe they can foot the bill for a port and polish on that head.

C

calscrazy

you do know as soon as you get the bike back the weather will turn.

just imagine if your bike was down in august, september and half of october because the one part you needed was on backorder from italy. just so happens the place that made the part was shut down for a month for italian summer. happened to a friend of mine two years ago. needless to say as soon as the part came in he drove it to the dealer across the street, traded it in and hasn't looked back.

V

Vapordan

just imagine if your bike was down in august, september and half of october because the one part you needed was on backorder from italy. just so happens the place that made the part was shut down for a month for italian summer. happened to a friend of mine two years ago. needless to say as soon as the part came in he drove it to the dealer across the street, traded it in and hasn't looked back.

Oh that had to suck. With my boat load of patience I would have traded it in while it was in the shop. I'm dead serious too.

D

DJK1505

I love that bike tho! I am almost done with my zr7 so I will have something else to ride that I enjoy. And then once I get it back I will never go to a dealership again.

I could of done this myself and done the port and polish while I was repairing the head. They told me I could take the head and do it if I wanted to, then he said they were going to have the part the next day so if I wanted my bike back, I would need to leave the head. This is just my luck, if anything bad can happen it is going to happen to me. Oh well, I will turn in my complaint to the BBB, and make sure Yamaha knows how this dealership treats its customers, and never go back to the dealership.

Worst part, is the port and polish would not cost me anything, the machinist is willing to teach me what I would need to do. So not only would it be cool to work with a machinist, I would also get some cool shit done to my bike for free. I should of just taken the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

DJK1505

Just got off the phone with Yamaha Corp of America. The guy was very shocked the dealer agreed to do any work under warranty before inspecting the bike, but agrees with me that it needs to be completed at his cost and it needs to be finished now. He is calling the dealer and calling me back. I spoke to the dealer again this morning and it was the same, we should be able to get to it today and I will call you when its ready. I am out my bike 3 weeks and this is all he can say. Oh well, he can deal with the BBB and Yamaha Corp of America now. Im finished with this guy! I really hope to have my bike back this evening!!!!

DJ

the borg

Did you get your bike back yet? If so, was it you that I saw headed west on Route 50 near Chantilly the other evening? I was in the turn lane on my FZ8 when another FZ8 honked at me as he rode by.