Slight delay when you gas it hard - anybody else get this?

nordberg

I've noticed that this engine seems to bog down and hesitate when you twist it hard. You guys experience this too? I'm interested in getting a power commander, air box, full exhaust and block off plates for engine mods. Anybody know if any of these items will fix this or magnify the problem?

Love to hear what anyone else has to say. Thanks,
Steve

lothodon

Super Moderator
i get it too, worse in fact after the airbox mod.

power commander, air filter (i think you meant filter, or did you mean airbox mod?) and full exhaust will all improve it.

block off plates will do nothing. that's purely an emissions issue (and weight if you're racing).

the airbox MOD without anything else will make it a little worse (imo).

nathanmot

I get it too, but not all the time. Ive noticed it while riding and tried to duplicate it again and it does not come back till i least expect it.

FZER

Avid Rider
I get it too, but it's always in the dreaded dead zone in the rpm range. 4 to 6000 rpm.

nordberg

Right on. Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like my plans to modify will help do away with at least some of this nuisance. The highest octane fuel I can get at a normal pump here in New York is 93. It seems to do well with this and all my other previous bikes (R1's CBR's and FZ1's). Must just be a glitch with this guy.

Harrywz

i get it too, worse in fact after the airbox mod.

power commander, air filter (i think you meant filter, or did you mean airbox mod?) and full exhaust will all improve it.

block off plates will do nothing. that's purely an emissions issue (and weight if you're racing).

the airbox MOD without anything else will make it a little worse (imo).

The block offs are supposed to get rid of the popping sounds between shifting gears if you have a full aftermarket exhaust system. This is part of the AIS system. The function that it does is to inject air into the exhaust chamber during deceleration to burn up the unused gas that is left when you release the throttle fast and it ends up burning in the pipes. If you have a slipon on your bike, you'll be getting the pops as well, loudness depending on the baffles in your muffler.

lothodon

Super Moderator
the way it gets rid of the popping is by not adding clean air to the exhaust (which causes unburned fuel to ignite) and you are now dumping fuel out your pipe. that's why it's an emissions issue more than anything else.

do the plates and you will smell the gas coming out the exhaust. it does absolutely nothing for the INTAKE portion so it will have no effect on the hp/torque/acceleration...

Last edited:

bobbyb

no delay

I don't experience any "delay" in acceleration. maybe a minor bog if I'm"lugging the engine. Ride it like a 2 stroke. Where and when is this delay? (speed, gear)
B

V

Vapordan

Bobbyb, are these all your bikes? In northern ontario? where there is like 2 days of warm weather? I think that's called self-medicating :p

lyric911

1) Octane has nothing to do with it. Higher octane prevent pre-detonation. The end.
2) I don't experience this, unless I try to open it up when I'm in an incredibly low area on the hp curve and thus should have downshifted.

Edit: I have airbox mod, K&N, slip on, PCV, autotune, AIS removed.

Last edited:

bobbyb

my bikes

Vapordan
yes a few of my bikes, sold 4 in the last 2 years. Dress warm and ride here.
B