Shortened tail end

Would you shorten your tail end?

• Yeah, screw passengers

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Heck no, I already have enough skid marks on my butt

Votes: 26 59.1%

• Total voters

Guillaume

So, every time I see this bike, I'm somewhat envious of tail end style. Has anyone ever considered doing that to the FZ8. Seems like quite the challenge but then again, some people ask about single sided swingarms too; and those seem tricky (I want one).

Buell XB12Scg 05  2.jpg

Last edited:

cpatt

i had a buell some people evin cut those tails down shorter
but idk about our bikes... might need some like photoshopped pics or sumin

Guillaume

i had a buell some people evin cut those tails down shorter
but idk about our bikes... might need some like photoshopped pics or sumin

Yeah, I might try to photoshop something when I get a minute which won't be anytime soon... I still have my BKmoto light waiting to be installed and Danmoto exhaust waiting at the post office!

Guillaume

I know those bikes are entirely different than ours but the styling is awesome; including the non-existent tail end. Purely talking about styling here.

And on the extreme:

Crazywb23

I am quite happy with the length of the tail. I owned a gixxer 750 with a tail conversion before this one and I was never comfy on it.

V

Vapordan

I know those bikes are entirely different than ours but the styling is awesome; including the non-existent tail end. Purely talking about styling here.

Curious, what exactly is so awesome about those there things? Visually interesting yes, awesome is the wrong word.

Guillaume

Curious, what exactly is so awesome about those there things? Visually interesting yes, awesome is the wrong word.

Ha, which is why I insisted on saying "talking about styling".
"Awesome" is indeed the perfect adjective to describe the way I feel about the styling while "visually interesting" is the perfect description you would use for it. There is no wrong word when it comes to personal taste.

Getting back on the tail end, I wonder if it's possible (probably pricey) to buy all the tail end components as spare and make it easily swapable.

Frame:

Fenders:

Electrical:

SpunkyTheTuna

It would probably be cheaper to wait until you can find an FZ8 that somebody stuffed into a tree or something and buy the whole bike rather than piece-mealing the back half of a bike from the factory.

H

Hoover

If you can get your hands on Streetfighters Magazine, you will see hundreds of pics of bikes with cut down rear ends.
If you use your 8 as a regular rider, you are going to get a very wet ass if you make it any shorter.

Guillaume

It would probably be cheaper to wait until you can find an FZ8 that somebody stuffed into a tree or something and buy the whole bike rather than piece-mealing the back half of a bike from the factory.

Ha, true but I wouldn't wish that to happen to any of our fellow FZ8 riders. I'll have to check where to find totaled bikes. I also might not need many of the parts. Still dreaming of course.

If you can get your hands on Streetfighters Magazine, you will see hundreds of pics of bikes with cut down rear ends.
If you use your 8 as a regular rider, you are going to get a very wet ass if you make it any shorter.

I'll have to check it out. On the "wet" note, I do commute every single day on it but... you know... living in Southern California... not too much of an issue. On the other hand, might be a good excuse to get a cool hugging rear fender or something.

D

DJK1505

The bobbed look is awesome! I would love to see an 8 bobbed! But I am in the mountains and commuting too much to have a bobbed tail for my daily. As a weekend bike it would be cool as hell!!!

DJ

Guillaume

The bobbed look is awesome! I would love to see an 8 bobbed! But I am in the mountains and commuting too much to have a bobbed tail for my daily. As a weekend bike it would be cool as hell!!!

DJ

Now we're talking.
Check this one out, it's an FZ1 but the style is going in the right direction (click on the pictures to go to the article):

Here are 2 mod Suzuki's, a good one:

And a bad one...

H

Hoover

Barf. Thats awfull. Looks like every single bike you see in Germany.

Guillaume

Haha, interesting how opinions are cut in the middle with!
I'd love to see what it looks like on an FZ8, I'm pretty sure i'd like it

SpunkyTheTuna

I definitely like the blue FZ1. Brings a touch of the classic cafe racer to the bike. If it were mine, I'd ditch the rear pegs, though. Why have rear pegs if the passenger's going to have to stand up all the time?

You could stash all the electrics in the hump, fab up a subframe that'd mount to the factory mounts on the main frame and keep all the factory bits to undo all of it if you chose to.

Hmm......