Rubbing Noise

Killawatts

Well this is my first bike, so it may just be normal, and it only has about 50 miles on the odoemeter. When coming to a stop, I hear a "whirr, whirr, whirr, whirr" sound. It happens regardless if I am braking, in gear or not, clutch in or not. I assume it is just the tires but doesn't seem to happen at speed or when accelerating (although it could just be that its covered up by the sound of the engine).

I'm probably just being paranoid, but if anyone else hears it, I'd like to know.

Thanks.

Harrywz

Well this is my first bike, so it may just be normal, and it only has about 50 miles on the odoemeter. When coming to a stop, I hear a "whirr, whirr, whirr, whirr" sound. It happens regardless if I am braking, in gear or not, clutch in or not. I assume it is just the tires but doesn't seem to happen at speed or when accelerating (although it could just be that its covered up by the sound of the engine).

I'm probably just being paranoid, but if anyone else hears it, I'd like to know.

Thanks.

That's the front brakes. Pads are always in contact with rotor and rub a bit.

reALIGNed

It can't be the front brake, he said it does it while braking too. I've noticed this sound too, almost like a "hum, hum, hum, hum" like a surging sound. :idk:

Niko

You don't need to brake to hear a sound from the front wheel. There is always a noise from the discs.

On all the bikes I had, i had this kind of noise.

Jwood9

+1 and i also hear this more on other bikes like my friends with 1000's. You can hear it echo more when youre passing a raised median or a car thats sitting still. After a while you learn to tune it out, as well as any vibration that you notice

Niko

i dont hear shit... my mivv drowns it all out! lol:cool:

Turn the ignition of while running to hear it.
I do it each time when i arrive at home : i turn the ignition off 150-200 m before arriving to reduce noise. My neighbours likes me! ;)

Just before, watch in the mirror if there no car behind because you loose your breaking lights...

F

Fazed

Just before, watch in the mirror if there no car behind because you loose your breaking lights...

Or just use the red kill switch. Your brake light will continue to operate along with the rest of the lighting system

Niko

That's true, in fact i use the kill switch but here when you say you use it they say you're crazy because it's not good for the engine even with injection.

I've always done this way and never had any problem.

B

bren

To be honest, I have never used a kill switch on any of my bikes.. When my mates flick it on when I'm not lookin it takes me ages to work out what's wrong hahaha

H

Hoover

Are you riding with a helmet?
You are probably just hearing road noise that you are not used to hearing. You don't hear it as you accelerate because of the engine drowining it out.

goldfz8

Make sure you lube your chain when i got my bike i didnt do it for 2000 miles and it sounded like i blew my motor lol. i got the shit scared out of me.

B

bren

Make sure you lube your chain when i got my bike i didnt do it for 2000 miles and it sounded like i blew my motor lol. i got the shit scared out of me.

That reminds me! been a while since i did mine!

How often is everybody lubing their chains?

hehehehe- lube... lol

F

Fazed

I clean and lube my chain around the 1000kms mark. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

goldfz8

I lube it every weekend and oil every 2000 miles motul 7100. The 300v doesn't have enough detergents It's no good for street riding. It will get dirty to quick.

Niko

I lube it with Profy Dry Lube each 500 km when it's warm and wait one night before restart the bike otherwise i lube my rear wheel! :p

Last edited:

Killawatts

Are you riding with a helmet?
You are probably just hearing road noise that you are not used to hearing. You don't hear it as you accelerate because of the engine drowining it out.

Helmets are for wussies.

Just kidding, yes I have an exorbitantly expensive full face helmet (no brain bucket for me). I've just accepted the noise as normal, it is what it is.

BIGpanda

Which helmet do you have?

And my bike also makes that noise, I just tune it out now.

ALSO I never lube my chain, like once every 2-3k miles, been doing it like that since forever.