Ride height understanding the rear suspension

funnelli

If the physical length of the shock was longer would it increase the ride height?
I always assumed it does but looking at the rocker type setup the opposite could be true? I am looking at it and struggling to get my head around how it works so any opinions would be greatly appreciated!:D

Trooper

If the physical length of the shock was longer would it increase the ride height?
I always assumed it does but looking at the rocker type setup the opposite could be true? I am looking at it and struggling to get my head around how it works so any opinions would be greatly appreciated!:D

If the shock was longer, it would increase the ride height, and in turn mess up the bikes geometry. It would be quick to turn, but unstable at straight high speeds, and susceptible to tank slaps.

NoNine4me

If the shock was longer, it would increase the ride height, and in turn mess up the bikes geometry. It would be quick to turn, but unstable at straight high speeds, and susceptible to tank slaps.
Yes, if the bike was already set up to steer as quickly as possible just before instability. Worn tires, loss of traction in the rear coming out of a turn, and unbalanced tires/wheels can cause this, too.

Ride height is a common adjustment on high-end shock absorbers and it is used to fine tune the chassis geometry once the spring rate has been optimized. It's also used to reset the chassis to account for different types of tires and to even account for tire wear (less common).

The FZ8 is a very stable motorcycle and it can tolerate a pretty wide range of adjustments to geometry. It has a longish wheelbase and fairly lazy steering geometry so steepening the rake a bit (not excessively mind you) is not going to cause the bike to go out of control unexpectedly unless one gets into some sort of real trouble.

What you want to do with your ride height, if you have it, is first get the shock set up with exactly the right spring and get your static and dynamic (loaded) sag set correctly. Then we can use the ride height to fine-tune the chassis to make sure it's at a proper geometry for the intended use.

Some of these later model "track day" bikes which are not racebikes, like the 675 Daytona, are running some really steep geometry, at 22 degrees and even less for some, like the Buell superbike. These are not racebikes. The only remaining superbike, the GSX-R 750, has a rake of ~23 degrees and even that is fairly steep. It's got a steering damper but will shake its head even so, but that bike is perfectly composed at 160 mph.

The FZ8 is out to 25 degrees with a good share of trail and we don't expect to be railing through turns over 100 mph (not that it can't do it, but the wind blast is just not conducive to wanting to do it).

It's a process, get someone to help you out who knows what's up with suspension.:cool:

funnelli

Thanks for that, what I was kind of getting at although I think I may have confused the issue was that because the fz8 uses a linked suspension set up and I have a length adjustable shock does lengthening the shock actually reduce ride height or vice versa, reason I ask the question is because reducing the dog bone length increases ride height and it's all linked?:D

NoNine4me

Thanks for that, what I was kind of getting at although I think I may have confused the issue was that because the fz8 uses a linked suspension set up and I have a length adjustable shock does lengthening the shock actually reduce ride height or vice versa, reason I ask the question is because reducing the dog bone length increases ride height and it's all linked?:D
Lengthening the shock increases ride height. There are a few bikes where this is the opposite but none we would want to own, probably. I think some Harleys used to do this, Softail comes to mind. Not that I wouldn't want a Softail necessarily...

If it was me I would not mess with the dogbones, just get the spring rate and sag correct. A ride height adjustment truly is more of a racetrack necessity.

Bajaedition

ok

just a longer shock will not increase the height

what will change it is the spring on that shock being longer

a shock, without a spring will sink till it bottoms out, so if you replace the shock with a longer one, but use the same spring then all you have done was reduce the amount of travel you have till it bottoms out. A longer shock will have a longer shaft and will bottom faster when compressed to the same place a shorter shock will.

Ther are cases, and these depend on the linkage where the opposite happens.

Now seeing how we usually buy a coilover shock for a motorcycle, then yes the longer shock will make the bike sit higher. and you will (as mentioned earlier) really mess uo the geometry and how the bike handles.

Last edited:

NoNine4me

For my earlier answer I assumed he meant a longer shock already equipped with a spring since we usually use the word "shock" to mean the whole spring/shock assembly with a motorcycle.

Cars are different as the shock is usually sold separately, but of course this is right, the whole thing together as it works on the bike will determine ride height.

If you get a shock spec'd to our bike, and order it up with the correct spring rate, and the entire assembly is the exact same length, eye-to-eye, as the original, you will be able to adjust it to get the correct ride height. If it longer you may not be able to do this no matter what spring you put on it.

Either way you want to start with the correct shock and spring and if it does have ride height, you will have a lot of fun adjusting everything.