Review: FZ1 Shock

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I just wanted to take 2 minutes to review the install and initial ride for the FZ1 spring I installed on my 2012 FZ8.

The installation was fairly straightforward and the most difficult part was getting the swing arm unsprung without rafters or lift. I used a car jack under the frame and then put jack stands under the engine cage to stabilize the bike. It wasn't the most ideal setup since at one point the bike was just free teetering a few inches in the air. Super sketch. Just don't do it.

That said, changing out the shock is literally taking off the side panels, unbolting 2 14mm nuts off of 2 14mm bolts and then sliding the shock out from between the swing arm and frame.

I had to tap the bottom needle bearing out of the FZ1 shock as it was damaged and replaced with my FZ8 bearing, but that was a piece of cake, a hammer and some well-fitting sockets got the job done quickly. You don't have to do this, normally.

Impressions:

Although the FZ1 guys loathe their stock shock, it is quite an incremental upgrade for any FZ8 rider that is looking for an inexpensive upgrade as their skills improve. For about $100 bucks you get a stiffer silver spring and rebound adjustment

As a 250lb rider, on the stock setup, for my riding style, I was at 60% preload, and even then it was still super bouncy as preload can only compensate so far for a soft spring. at 60% preload on the FZ1 shock, it was like sitting on a rock. Turned it down a few notches to 30% preload and it's wonderful now, a little bit firmer, but not even reaching the springs weight limit anytime soon. (I like my ride a bit on the compliant side)

I haven't had much time to dial in rebound, but I've got it set at about 50% and it feels great. going over bumps the bike doesn't take it's sweet time getting settled anymore. That being said, I have had to "relearn" how to ride the FZ8 as it has less suspension travel and movement now. It's almost a bit scarier since the suspension gives you a better idea of how the road feels instead of gobbling all that up.

FZ8 Spring Rate- 8.1 kg/mm
FZ1 07+ Spring Rate- 10.7 kg/mm

MikeC

Weekend Rider
how many km on your new/old shock? do you feel it matters?

Haha, the FZ1 Shock had I think something around 8000 miles on it. It's a lot, but it was a nice upgrade nonetheless!

Whether it "matters" or not is debatable, but I definitely felt a difference! Your weight as a rider is the biggest impact on the bike's geometry and handling.

The type of roads you ride on is the second!

If you ride primarily on really rough roads, you'll probably want a more compliant spring to absorb bumps. In this scenario having a super stiff spring may cause you to lose traction on rough bumps, you might also put undue stress on the bike as well as your body.

If you ride primarily on glass-smooth race track, you can afford to run a super stiff suspension. A stiffer suspension translates more to and from the ground and resists squatting and brake diving.

So the real question is, what if you ride on a mix? Well, then it's up to you to decide how and where you're comfortable with.

The weight factor, mentioned before, is the overarching issue. If "mamma yamma" has their ideal rider set at 150 lbs, anyone over that weight, is going to be putting more load on their spring than it was designed for. An overloaded spring basically moves up and down a lot more than it should. An underloaded spring, may launch you out of your saddle at some point.