replacing the fiberglass shroud on the gass tank.

MojoRisin

I want to save some money replacing the fiberglass shroud that was damaged in my recent accident. It looks real simple, remove some fasteners with an allen wrench??? Could it be that simple???? Has anyone removed this shroud for any reason? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

impostor1981

I ve done it plenty of times, basicly rvery time I wanted to het under the tank. Yes it is just 4 allens, at least thats what it is on Fazer8

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
yup, four little bolts and push forward as you lift off. I see them on Fleabay from time-to-time. Some even in carbon fiber. But to be fair the quality of their mold looked amateurish in my honest opinion.

Last edited:

Sschwar4

Push the right side forward first, then lift gently on the left. There is a pin that aligns with the mount on the tank, if done wrong the pin will break and not fit securely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MojoRisin

I guess for the little bit I'll save yamaha can do it, they have to replace a cover on the engine too. I already told them not to put the yamaha emblems on the shroud. They can send them back. The shroud has the yamaha emblems on it yet when you pay $220 for the shroud you have to order the emblems and some seals extra. Hopefully whatever seals that are needed will still be good.

MojoRisin

The dealership I have to use is a freaking joke. I took my bike up Thursday to have the work done. They were to call me when done. Friday night at 6:55 they left a message on my work phone. Called them right back but they were closed. Called 9:00 Saturday morning, seems somehow they ordered the wrong shroud, they got the flat black one for the 2012 model. They've had the part for 2 weeks waiting for me to scheule an appointment. I could over look this if it hadn't taken 5 appointments to get my handlebars replaced (warranty) during the time they were checking my fuel guage issues. They were also supposed to replace a cover on the engine that was scratched. They didn't do that either, said they'd do everything at the same time. Just needed to vent, I could keep going but there's no point.

MojoRisin

With my wifes work schedule kind of opposite mine it's a real pain for me to drop my bike off and arrange a ride hoe. If they'd have done the cover on the engine I could have stopped in to have the shroud replaced and waited. There are 2 other yamaha dealerships around but both are over 50 miles away, I may have to bite the bulet and make a switch.

protool

Shroud and Fuel tank

My shroud and fuel tank where damaged by hail and I seen that you guys said carbon fiber ones are avalible. Can any on tell my or give me a link.

Thanks

H

Hoover

The dealership I have to use is a freaking joke. I took my bike up Thursday to have the work done. They were to call me when done. Friday night at 6:55 they left a message on my work phone. Called them right back but they were closed. Called 9:00 Saturday morning, seems somehow they ordered the wrong shroud, they got the flat black one for the 2012 model. They've had the part for 2 weeks waiting for me to scheule an appointment. I could over look this if it hadn't taken 5 appointments to get my handlebars replaced (warranty) during the time they were checking my fuel guage issues. They were also supposed to replace a cover on the engine that was scratched. They didn't do that either, said they'd do everything at the same time. Just needed to vent, I could keep going but there's no point.

Post their name on here, then e-mail them a link.
Bet they take care of you after that.

protool

The Wait for CF

I ended up buying the front tank cover becuase mine was damage by hail. They said 5 weeks, I hope its worth the wait. Ill post fit and finish after It comes in.

MojoRisin

Post their name on here, then e-mail them a link.
Bet they take care of you after that.

Honestly these people are real jerks (assholes). When I was having the issues with the fuel guage not working I took it in to have it looked at. It was only a week old and i wanted assurances that i wouldn't be charged, that it would be covered by warranty. It got heated I was told to leave that they didn't want my business and they also threatened to call the police on me. it wasn't like I was causing a scene in front of other customers or acting like an out of control jerk. It was me and this other person and another sales person. He told me he was checking on the warranty issue. I explained the bike was a week old and the fuel guage wasn't working properly, why wouldn't that be a warranty issue. They had my bike in the back at that point and were looking at it. I told the guy i didn't want charged anything. He said "What part don't you understand?" to which I replied "I don't want charged a single penny for your shop looking at my bike right now, what part of that don't YOU understand?" He replied "I'm checking to see if it's covered by the warranty." I was furious at this point and said "I don't give a flying &^*%^ what you're checking on I don't want charged." Boom banned, leave or we're calling the cops, my bike was brought to the front of the shop. I called the guy I bought the bike from, he was a decent fella and kind of got things to where I'm treated civily when i bring my bike in. But like I said 5 times to get my scratched handle bars replaced and now this with the wrong parts. I'm really weighing my options of using another shop for maintenance, it's just a real pain to make a 100 mile round trip every time I need something done and if I need to leave the bike it turns into 200 miles. But if I do decide to change shope I will definately post their name in here.

C

Camo

You're weighing up your options??
It seems pretty obvious to me that you have to go somewhere else. Why would you even bother going back mate?

lothodon

Super Moderator
contact yamaha directly. seriously. i did that with a harley i had that was missing wrist pins on one side and they foot the bill for an entire top end rebuild (and converted it to a 1203!). i wasn't even the originally buyer.

MojoRisin

You're weighing up your options??
It seems pretty obvious to me that you have to go somewhere else. Why would you even bother going back mate?

10 mile round trip vs 100 mile round trip for the other 2 closest Yamaha dealership. My work hours suck (4am - 4 pm) and the only way i could go to the other dealers is on the weekend. That's the ONLY reason a switch hasn't already been made.

C

Camo

I see your point, that's shithouse. I'd just find another motorcycle repair shop...I only go to my yammi dealer to do my log book service. Everything else I go to the guy 4 blocks over that's a motorcycle genius.

Here in Australia, you can't buy OEM parts any were other than through your local dealer at double the price you get them in the states for. It works out cheaper to get my other guy to source them from the states and pay him for labour then it does to pay the over-inflated cost of Yammi Australia and do it myself!

I guess my point is, the Yammi dealers aren't yor only option and perhaps you should look around for someone that wants to look after you and can appreciate your repeat business?

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Normally if someone/place pisses me off I will NEVER go back.
In your case I might give them one chance. and I would tell them that.
They may roll out the red carpet for ya.