Removing A/F Sensor from exhaust.

b-eock

OK. So I'm having some custom work done all at once and I would like to know if there wouldn be a problem with removing the A/F ratio sensor in the exhaust?

alexk

Weekend Rider
That would be the O2 sensor.

While I'm not an expert on our ECU or the PCV, I can look at it from an automotive perspective and say it would be very bad(tm) on a car.

On an OBD I/II system (are bikes OBD?), once the engine warms up, it operates in closed-loop mode, in which the engine continuously adjusts the fuel mix to ensure its as lean as possible (to save fuel) whilst avoiding detonation (to save the engine). While there are air/fuel maps in automotive ECUs, the fine tune is done by the O2 sensor - there are always differences in MAF current requirements, fuel rail pressures, and injector tolerances, but an O2 sensor will always send a cross at the same ratio.

Hence, at least on a car, removing the O2 sensor would cause a check engine light, massive amounts of fuel burn to avoid engine damage, a drop in mpg, the fouling of a catalytic converter, and a black coating on the back of the car.

I can't see our bikes as being that much different. =\

Stangrrr

Weekend Rider
Are you asking if you can delete the O2 sensor? As Alex explains above, you can't leave it off, it's required by the computer to adjust the fuel parameters (maybe even timing?) when in closed loop mode. Aftermarket exhausts should have a "bung" on them already to reinstall the O2 sensor. If not, one can be welded on and the O2 sensor can be re-installed.

If you're asking about difficulties in removing it from the stock exhaust so it can be moved to an aftermarket exhaust, there is a slim chance that it would be difficult, but since our bikes are only a few years old, chances are it will come off easily. If it is difficult to remove, a little heat applied with a propane torch will help it come off easier.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
You would get an error code. You can get an O2 optimizer to plug in where the O2 sensor plugs into now, and that would avoid the code.

b-eock

Thanks you guys. Yeah I had a brainfart and and forgot what to call it... -_- I'll ask Marthy how he us getting around issues on his Midship exhaust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Thanks you guys. Yeah I had a brainfart and and forgot what to call it... -_- I'll ask Marthy how he us getting around issues on his Midship exhaust.

Most of the time, he is installing an O2 bung if you are using auto tune. If not, if you go with a PCV, it includes an O2 optimizer to go around it.

b-eock

I have a PCV installed already. I have an auto tune in my possession. Don't have it installed.

b-eock

I think I got an O2 optimizer, but it doesn't look like that. More like a black box that was "spliced" (has connectors) into a harness under the tank.

master paper clip

I think I got an O2 optimizer, but it doesn't look like that. More like a black box that was "spliced" (has connectors) into a harness under the tank.

That's the o2 optimizer he is talking about, it's a black Box on the fz8

b-eock

OK. So I have that along with the PCV. I have an auto tune laying around. I haven't got it installed. So is the sensor needed at this point? And if it is, I'll get around to installing the auto tune.

Marthy

If you use a PCV you should disconnect the O2 sensor and use a O2 optimizer. You will end up correcting the A/F with the PCV and the ECU will try to change it back.

I can instal an O2 sensor (M18) for the Autotune no problem... I always have a few in stock.

Shit!!!!

Oh, thanks! I ordered some O2 sensor bung and couldn't remember unpacking them with the 4ft tube and 3 collectors I bough... they were still in the box.... in the trash!

Ouf! I needed them for one of the exhaust I need to built tonight! That would have F*&^ me over big time!

master paper clip

Wait so if I have a pcv without the auto tune, your telling me I should disconnect the stock o2 sensor if I have the O2 optimizer installed ??

master paper clip

Would that be a reason why my idle isn't always steady till after I been riding a little... It's not horrible just has a lope to it... After a little riding it idles normally