Rear Suspension Failure

LitzerSki

As I mentioned in a prior thread about suspension issues, I've recently had a near-catastrophic failure on my FZ8. Upon a failure of the shock, both relay arms taco'd and one broke. Below are pics I took of the new and old relay arms.

rug_burn

You know, when I was looking at those sheet metal pieces on my bike, they did seem way light, particularly for what they are: compression members subject to buckling, as it is called in engineering.
So what's the story about your shock failing: How did that happen, and what happened? Did it freeze up solid, or did it blow the seals and get real soft, or did the spring break?
It's possible these were designed to fail in this way in the event of a shock failure. Maybe this prevents other harder-to-replace parts from getting wasted. This part does look like a pretty easy fix.
'Course it's also possible that this is what just happens when you shave off extra pounds or ounces everywhere you can.
I'll check out the other thread. Lucky nobody got hurt.

CrazyBiker

Dang, how much do you weigh? It is hard for them to fail like that without the shock bottoming out which means too less preload or shock failure.

LitzerSki

I was thinking the same thing...there is a chance that the relay arms are designed to give and offer one final bit of give to protect the rest of the linkage.

As far as me, I'm 190 lbs, so probably pretty close to an average-sized rider. I've had problems with the rear bottoming out ever since I purchased the bike 18 months ago. Preload was set on 9 and I still experience bottoming out on average of 15-20 times per day. NYC streets in all of their glory!

I took a good hit on the BQE and noticed that the rear shock blew (got real soft and bouncy). By the time I got to work, I realized that I could barely use the kickstand due to the rear sitting about 2 inches lower than usual. Babied it home with no further damage and how have an Ohlins shock installed. MUCH better than the stocker!

Hereward

Faulty shock unit, I'm 200lbs and even with a pillion I don't bottom the suspension out which I have set to 8.......looks like the constant force of bottoming the shock out on the arms has weakend them to the point they have failed. Not heard of anyone else on here bottoming out there shocks unless there really hefting some weight around.............I have done it once with another 200lb'er on the back, as soon as it happened I droped him at the side of the road and came back for him in the car LOL

Larry P

Out of curiosity, how hard is it to remove the link plates from our fazer? I've had to remove one on another machine and it was far from pleasant.

SpunkyTheTuna

There's nothing to it other than keeping the bike off the ground. Had to undo two of the three bolts to change my shock on the rear. Three bolts with nuts, and they're easy to reach from underneath.

G Chase

Pillion
I've always thought those links looked flimsy/weak. They should be strong enough so that if a shock freezes or binds, the bike turns int a hard tail. At least in most cases this could get you home. Catastrophic sucks!

G Chase

Pillion
I've always thought those links looked flimsy/weak. They should be strong enough so that if a shock freezes or binds, the bike turns int a hard tail. At least in most cases this could get you home. Catastrophic sucks! :eek:

Last edited: