Rear sprocket & Chain only upgrade?

Whitej84

This is probably a stupid question but I wanted to upgrade my rear sprocket from a 46T to a 48T and put on a new DID chain. Does my chain pitch change from a 525?? And do I/ should I replace the front sprocket as well I did not want to go down a tooth in the front just up a tooth in the rear.

TwoWheels

This is probably a stupid question but I wanted to upgrade my rear sprocket from a 46T to a 48T and put on a new DID chain. Does my chain pitch change from a 525?? And do I/ should I replace the front sprocket as well I did not want to go down a tooth in the front just up a tooth in the rear.

If you have relatively low miles on the front sprocket, you should be fine replacing the rear and chain. But, like most things, it's a case by case basis. You would keep your 525 pitch, but I'm not sure about the length.... Going +2 in the rear, you should be able to still use 122 links if I'm not mistaken. Just remember, -1 in front is like +3 to the rear.

Hope this helps, it's just from experience, so if I'm wrong, someone else will correct me, I'm sure :p

Whitej84

Thanks very helpful. The bike has aroun 3800miles on it. I've been contemplating both the front and rear sprocket. Is there any difference on the wear and tear? And also is the bike working harder because of a different final drive meaning (will it screw anything up faster by changing the final drive ratio?) thanks again

FZ8canuk

I will be changing my sprockets in a little bit I will be going down -1 in the front and staying stock 46 in the rear and staying at 525 pitch.
I'm changing the rear purely for cosmetic reasons, going with a Vortex aluminum rear sprocket in red and a gold DID chain I have the MOTO GP 25th anniversary colors so it should look sharp I think.
Changing the sprockets will throw off your speedo and odometer by 7 to 10% and it will add miles to the odometer you will need a speedo healer if you want to correct that.
I just did a front sprocket on my wife's FZ6R and it did make a difference in the way the bike launches, I will be installing a healer on both bikes in the spring.

TwoWheels

Thanks very helpful. The bike has aroun 3800miles on it. I've been contemplating both the front and rear sprocket. Is there any difference on the wear and tear? And also is the bike working harder because of a different final drive meaning (will it screw anything up faster by changing the final drive ratio?) thanks again

At 3800 miles, unless you're drag strip launching, I'd think you'd be fine. But, the service manual has the sprocket wear limits and how to check them. You can buy it from Yamaha, buy it online, or a quick Google search could get you the pdf free (not that I'd condone that :p)

Yes, you're changing the dynamics of how the drive system works, but I wouldn't worry about additional or "extra" wear. It'll still wear according to your driving style. FZ8Canuk brought up a great point that I forgot to touch on, your speedometer IS going to be off... 7-10% is a good estimate. But, a speedo healer is cheap, super easy to install (you undo one connection, plug the healer into each end and your done), and super easy to program. I use the HealTech brand, but there are several out there.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, we have a very knowledgeable site, and I'm always here if you you need to PM. :)

The install of a sprocket and rivet chain are super straightforward, and if you have a chain cutter / riveter, should only take 45 minutes or so. The healer takes less than an hour to install, and programming it is one ride, and 15 minutes. Have fun, stay safe, and ride as long as you can; winter is creeping up FAST here in Michigan! Lol;)