Radiator Fan Manual Switch Bypass?

FRODAS

Hello,
Has anyone added a switch to their bike to turn on the fans before they hit ~ 215F? I moved from Chicago to Florida and the bike gets too hot for my liking. When I see traffic ahead I want to start the fan a bit early at around 185F. I don't want to disable it from starting at ~215 either automatically. Has anyone done this? I've seen guides for different bikes but not this one. I took some picture of the area I was able to access but i din't want to cut into the well wrapped cables all through the bike. Attached or below are images of the two 10 AMP fuses for the two fans. I believe we are working with two blue wires and a brown. I'm not a great electrician so i don't want to start cutting until i know that my plan for this is solid.

2012 Yamaha FZ8

PART_1458561061206_IMG_20160318_1757511.jpgPART_1458561061458_IMG_20160318_1758071.jpg

a-rode

Hello,
Has anyone added a switch to their bike to turn on the fans before they hit ~ 215F? I moved from Chicago to Florida and the bike gets too hot for my liking. When I see traffic ahead I want to start the fan a bit early at around 185F. I don't want to disable it from starting at ~215 either automatically. Has anyone done this? I've seen guides for different bikes but not this one. I took some picture of the area I was able to access but i din't want to cut into the well wrapped cables all through the bike. Attached or below are images of the two 10 AMP fuses for the two fans. I believe we are working with two blue wires and a brown. I'm not a great electrician so i don't want to start cutting until i know that my plan for this is solid.

2012 Yamaha FZ8

View attachment 6212View attachment 6213

Get a tune/flash and most of them kick on around there.

reALIGNed

Hello,

2012 Yamaha FZ8

View attachment 6212View attachment 6213

Feel free to tap into the fan circuit, find the thermal sensor on the block and hook those wires to a switch for manual override. no need to purchase a tuner.

Last edited:

FRODAS

So I finally got around to doing it and am very proud of the professional job I was able to do both in the inside and the outside. I used a carbon fiber toggle switch which matches the color of the bike and I mounted it on the front for easy access. Picture and video link below. Let me know what you think.

PART_1478709298114_IMG_20161030_1441151.jpg