R6 shock in fz8

W

WARPTH

been trying to find a bit of info out but not getting any luck.
any one here know if a R6 shock will fit the fz8?
we share the same swingarm do we not?

B

bren

i think i read on here that they will fit- but may be a little soft though??

I could be wrong...

Would be a little cheaper than the r1 upgrade though... hmmmm

W

WARPTH

r6 shocks are cheap as f*&k!
theres that many asians that buy them that write them off!!!!!

D

DJK1505

Man i know on here there was a post that listed all the R1, FZ1 and R6 shocks that worked. I believe there is a year range that worked, but I can not find the post. Maybe I am going crazy.

W

WARPTH

Yeah i had a search first before starting a new thread...
From what ive found,
An early r6 shock can fit (not 100% on whether cannister clears) but is 20mm shorter than our shock, so not really an issue with r1 forks?
The r6 stock spring is also higher sprung.
If anyone has any other info?

D

DJK1505

shit, 20mm is a good bit. Aren't the R1 forks just 5mm shorter? But if you dropped your forks in the triple trees, you could get it to sit nice.

DJ

W

WARPTH

Yeah, prob not a bad way of lowering the seat height for some of us who forgot to eat our weet bix,
Im not real keen on having the rear sets even closer to the road though...

W

WARPTH

Wonder if youd be able to get that 20mm back from a adjustable dog bone...

D

DJK1505

Hell by the time you are done getting the adjustable dog bone, you will prob be in the cost range of a used FZ1 rear. Or just save a little more and get the Satan adapter and R1. Just seems like you would be throwing money at a project that ultimately costs you as much as the previous two methods.

DJ

C

Camo

Or just be content with the awesome Unit Yamaha provided the bike with lol...

keep in mind the r6 was sprung for a lighter bike as opposed to the Fz1 shock that was designed with a heavy bike in its design brief.

W

WARPTH

Well i find the stock rear shock adequate for a factory bike. Just for my weight i would prefer less rebound. So, if i can get around it on the cheap...