R1 forks

Lee_533

Hey guys. I'm looking at putting R1 forks on my bike and was wondering if anyone has done this yet. If so please help me out. Will they bolt directly in? Will I need a new triple tree? Will the fz8 bars fit on the R1 forks? Will I need R1 brake calipers, rotors, ect. Please help me out. I want to start getting the things I need.

Guillaume

Hey guys. I'm looking at putting R1 forks on my bike and was wondering if anyone has done this yet. If so please help me out. Will they bolt directly in? Will I need a new triple tree? Will the fz8 bars fit on the R1 forks? Will I need R1 brake calipers, rotors, ect. Please help me out. I want to start getting the things I need.

I'm pretty sure there's tons of info on this forum. Did you do a search?
http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-mods/1747-what-do-front-suspension.html
http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-mods/1463-r1-front-end-swap-whos-done-em.html

C

Camo

Our rotors fit but you'll want an FZ1 or R1 front wheel and axel... If you get an 07 set or better you'll get to upgrade your brakes to 6 pots.
Custom lines, R1 or brembo master cylinder and custom fluid mount can be done to optimise the brakes but isn't necessary. Everything else bolts on.

master paper clip

You do know the forum has a search feature, type in what u want and it gives u a list of threads containing your search... faster then waiting for a reply and helps not annoy members with 50 post about the same thing

C

Camo

Yeah but in this push button, remote controlled world we live in, who needs to search when you can simply ask the awesome fuckers of this community ;)
I don't mind answering the same question a few times for different people if I have the answers they seek.
Hell, I don't know much! So if a question gets asked that I happen to have the info to answer, I'm like that smart kid at school with his hand in the air busting to get the answer out there :rof:
I can see where you're coming from though wfdowns :)

Last edited:

Lee_533

Well never mind. From what I've found the R1 forks make the bike ride like crap on the track. I'm going to use FZ1 forks so I don't loose clearance.

ramrod

CAMO: I am eventually looking at upgrading the suspension since riding my friends FZ1, do you recommend this or Racetech spring upgrade? I read an article that cycle world did this on the FZ8.

Thoughts?

C

Camo

Lee, I'm not sure how an R1 front end is going to make the bike handle like crap on track? Especially in comparison to the way it performs with the stock front end on a good tight road... But I'll know exactly at the end of the month.

Ramrod, I'm trying to decide that myself.
I've got another thread about it and a few people have weighed in with their thoughts and ideas. But in all honesty, I love the extra turn in and the 6 pots the R1 front end provides.
I'm leaning toward just having my R1 forks freshened up though, race tech internals or similar maybe comparable in both price and performance?

master paper clip

Lee, I'm not sure how an R1 front end is going to make the bike handle like crap on track? Especially in comparison to the way it performs with the stock front end on a good tight road... But I'll know exactly at the end of the month.

Ramrod, I'm trying to decide that myself.
I've got another thread about it and a few people have weighed in with their thoughts and ideas. But in all honesty, I love the extra turn in and the 6 pots the R1 front end provides.
I'm leaning toward just having my R1 forks freshened up though, race tech internals or similar maybe comparable in both price and performance?

I don't think u can go wrong with either option, I would look at it like this, witch one could I do faster, plus can u use the 6pots on our stock forks, I wouldn't wanna loose them

H

Hoover

Yeah but in this push button, remote controlled world we live in, who needs to search when you can simply ask the awesome fuckers of this community ;)
I don't mind answering the same question a few times for different people if I have the answers they seek.
Hell, I don't know much! So if a question gets asked that I happen to have the info to answer, I'm like that smart kid at school with his hand in the air busting to get the answer out there :rof:
I can see where you're coming from though wfdowns :)

Back in the early days of the forum, I would have agreed with you mate, but now, there are so many posts, I'm too lazy to go back through and answer the same question ovewr and over. I highly recommend using the search button.
I am on a Sooby WRX forum also and they insist on it.

Lee_533

Well I talked to a guy that is sponsored by Yamaha and is a fantastic rider. He said that he tried the r1 forks but the front tire wanted to tuck every chance it got. He said that the 15mm drop makes a huge difference. I mainly ride track and at the speeds I'm going, I can't risk the front end tucking.

master paper clip

Well I talked to a guy that is sponsored by Yamaha and is a fantastic rider. He said that he tried the r1 forks but the front tire wanted to tuck every chance it got. He said that the 15mm drop makes a huge difference. I mainly ride track and at the speeds I'm going, I can't risk the front end tucking.

That's weird cause I've never heard of anyone complaining about the r1's handling, rather the other way around, also since the from dropped did he raise the back end to compensate, dropping the front and leaving the back stock height can creates handling problems, witch sounds like what your talking about, front and rear need to be on an angle with each other to work properly

Last edited:

ramrod

uhhhh, I think I've been underway too long because when I hear tucking I think of... uhhh... a bad night w/ bourbon and a questionable strip bar in Saipan.

<----- 7 and a half years at sea and all you come out with is a sailors mouth and a mind to match. :D

F

Fazed

I think he means that the front end either has too much turn in or the front end may wash out. Usually caused by the from end being too low.

As for the search function. I have found it to be quite unreliable so I have no problem with ppl asking questions that have already been answered.

D

DJK1505

Generally its a lot faster to ask. Now those that ask 100 questions on the same topic even after they have been directed to a thread or two annoy me!!!!!

I put the R1 front on, and have yet had a chance to take it out. Been working on the datsun and getting the garage organized. Hopefully I will be able to get it out at least once before I have to put it up for the winter. Everything I have read is all positive on the front end swap. If its too low, get adjustable rear links and bring your rear down to match. Wouldnt this take care of the change in geometry?

DJ