Quick Question on Engine Noise

Bigman32hockey

Just bought my FZ8 a few weeks ago, so I am new to the bike. I've been following the guidelines from the manual in terms of breaking in the engine, but the few times I have gotten into the revs a bit, I've noticed the engine (or something) is making almost a popping or ticking sound when I let off the throttle. If I slowly ease off the throttle after high revs it won't do it. Only after I blip the throttle and quickly release. I have been using 87 octane as thats what the dealer told me to use. I thought maybe it was pinging, so I changed to 91 (thats the highest I can get where I live), but it's still doing it. The bike goes into the shop on Tuesday for its 600-mile service, and I've asked them to take a look at it. Just curious if others out there have experienced anything similar. I read a few things on the forum about the AIS being a possible cause of this noise. I just want to make sure it's not harming the bike in any way. Doesn't seem like it should do it if you ask me. Thanks!

SpunkyTheTuna

It's almost certainly the air injection system operating as Yamaha intended. With the stock muffler it sounds like ticking; with an aftermarket can it sounds like popping. If it bothers you, remove the AIS and replace it with any of a number of plates that block off the AIS holes. It's no big deal to do, and you save almost as much weight as you would if you dumped the change out of your pocket before you ride.

impostor1981

I guess your bikes engine makes as much strange noise as you car's but cars it well suppressed with the bonnet and all noise suppressing padding. This is my theory based on few brand new bikes I had and after 1000 miles there was always some strange noises, knocks and rattles coming out from the engine :-D

Spike82

if it is like a "tic - - tic - - tic - - tic" and at higher rev become "tic tic tic tic"

mine does the same since was brandnew (now i have 23000km) ...

the yamaha mec says that it is normal ....

Harrywz

Yamaha motors.....most of em sound like coffee grinders. In the past I've owned a 1985 FZ 750, 2000 R6, 2007 R1 and 2009 R1 and while idling were fairly noisy. Pull in the clutch and gets a bit quieter. Most of these engines are "bulletproof" and with regular oil changes they will give many years of great service. I am almost up to the 6000Km mark and I'll be switching to synthetic. You'll notice that with synthetic that the clatter will be reduced somewhat and should see a slight increase in mileage. My 09 R1 went from
6.5 l/100k to 5.8 l/100k when I switched.

Last edited:

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Yamaha motors.....most of em sound like coffee grinders. In the past I've owned a 1985 FZ 750, 2000 R6, 2007 R1 and 2009 R1 and while idling were fairly noisy. Pull in the clutch and gets a bit quieter. Most of these engines are "bulletproof" and with regular oil changes they will give many years of great service. I am almost up to the 6000Km mark and I'll be switching to synthetic. You'll notice that with synthetic that the clatter will be reduced somewhat and should see a slight increase in mileage. My 09 R1 went from
5.8 l/100k to 6.5 l/100k when I switched.

So you got worse mileage after going to synthetic????

sinclap2

Lazy
if it is like a "tic - - tic - - tic - - tic" and at higher rev become "tic tic tic tic"

mine does the same since was brandnew (now i have 23000km) ...

the yamaha mec says that it is normal ....

Just as long as it doesn't go tic, tic, tic, BOOM! :D

kuwaiyert

Not sure if it is the sound cause from the valve tappets.. But it is kind of irritating...

Anyway mine had this rattling noise is much worse but only happens during my break in around 200 miles.. Temp at 60 c from cold start, warming up my bike and clutch in and this abnormal rattling noise can be heard.. But after a while it went back to normal.. But i realize now like the the engine sounds a lil more rougher..

Anyway it is due for my 1st servicing.. Will see how it goes..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2