Projector Retrofit

Ok so now that my bike is away for the winter I couldn't help but begin my next project...the headlight. My plan is to retrofit a projector with maybe a panamera shroud like the one in the first attached picture. I already split the headlight housing and plasti-dipped the reflector black. Has anyone done something similar to this? Any suggestions? I'm pretty good with fabricating things like this but would like to know if anyone has any useful tips. Also I think I might try to use the stock hi/lo beam switch for the halos/ HID so that the halos could be on without the HID. Ill post some pics of my progress once I actually get somewhere LOL.

cambo

Avid Rider
Ok so now that my bike is away for the winter I couldn't help but begin my next project...the headlight. My plan is to retrofit a projector with maybe a panamera shroud like the one in the first attached picture. I already split the headlight housing and plasti-dipped the reflector black. Has anyone done something similar to this? Any suggestions? I'm pretty good with fabricating things like this but would like to know if anyone has any useful tips. Also I think I might try to use the stock hi/lo beam switch for the halos/ HID so that the halos could be on without the HID. Ill post some pics of my progress once I actually get somewhere LOL.

1. It is absolutely freaky looking at your bike. That is EXACTLY how my bike looked after my first winter with it. Same tank decal. Same exhaust. same fender eliminator. same bar end mirrors, and same headlight (if it ends up looking like the one pictured)

2) I can't tell from the pic what the difference between a panamera shroud and every other shroud I've seen is...but from the look of it, I'd say quite a few have done something similar to the look you're going for; I and a couple others have run the same exact set up, and most everyone has gone the black interior route. I almost want to venture as far to say that Mike Chu has been the only one that didn't paint his inside black; he kept the mirror finish. Both look bad ass regardless! Rabbitman has been the resident HID retrofit expert and his facebook page (Affordable HID Retrofits) showcases his awesome work. Anyway, if anybody's got tips, he's got them...but there's been a couple other dudes who did it themselves too.

3) That's awesome you park your bike in front of the fire place. I wish my wife would let me do that. I also wish we had a fire place.

4) Hit up Jacek (I forgot his forum name...I'll dig that up), he did the halo only on switch thingy ma jiggy and he tried explainingg to me how to do it but I'm as dumb as a rock and he lost me at "first do this...". Except I believe he made his own switch...whereas you want to utilize the stock high beam/low beam...

anyway, whatever you do, I'm sure it'll turn out awesome! :tup:

EDIT: oh yeah it's just Jacek3473

Last edited:
Thanks for your post cambo. I guess great minds think alike LOL. I'll have to get in touch with those members and see what they have to say. I've got the next few days off from work so maybe i'll get some work done on the 8.

And by the way it wasn't easy to get the bike next to the fireplace LOL I think it was just a way to get me to finally hook up the gas lines and get the fireplace working haha

So about a week ago I finally got the 8 out of storage to test out the new headlight. Everything came out exactly as I hoped!

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Nice work. I missed this thread, and I don't remember talking with you. It isn't the same way that I do it, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't work, great job.

Light looks great. Just starting to mount my retrofit and was wondering how you mounted the ballast and wiring harness?

Last edited:
I don't know if the picture helps, or if I can explain it well enough. As far as wiring goes I tried to follow the stock wiring as best as possible. I ran them all under the tank and airbox and through the openings in the frame (by the forks) using the stock zip-ties also for a clean look. Once the wiring was in place I cut out the excess to lessen the amount of wires stuffed behind the light. For the Ballast I bent the mounting bracket that came with it at a 90 degree angle and used the end of a stock bolt to attach it too (the left side bolt for the "dash/gauges" near the ignition) It worked out that the bracket and nut that came with the ballast were a perfect fit. Its tight but out of the way.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I was thinking the same thing with the ballast bracket, looks nice! With regards to the wiring do you have the airbox mod done? Don't plan on doing it was wondering if it fit?

Haven't done the airbox mod yet but its on the list. After doing that wiring I realized how much work it will be just to get access to it. All I did was pivot the tank up and fish the wires under it and that was hard enough lol. But its tempting, I'm hoping it would reduce the exhaust back firing so aggressively on the two brothers slip on