Pro Taper "Seven Eights" Bar Install

cambo

Avid Rider
So, there's been recent discussion that led me to the conclusion of: I need to stop trying to make my fz8 feel like a super sport bike. Because it's just never going to be one. and it was a valid point. I need to just wait to buy a super sport bike...which one day I will. But that time is not now. Plus, the drastic change in riding position made my commute into work unenjoyable.

So I'm back to the upright riding position...and this time, with a set of bars that the local Honda dealership stocked. They're dirtbike bars...but they fit and they look cool. I love the wider grip too. All controls mounted up just fine. I can't tell you the dimensions of the bar though i.e. length, rise, etc. Pics attached show them mounted as well as a comparison shot with the stock handlebars.

Next up...some sort of tail storage or saddlebags or something. Ah yes...going to the opposite end of the spectrum: full on commuter bike!

oh yeah, I also went back to gold forks.

Last edited:

MickD93

Looks good! Looks like the Carmichael bend? Correct my if I'm wrong. They're real nice, light weight bars, I've got a set on my Honda 599 and love them

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4

cambo

Avid Rider
yes sir, carmichael bend...I'm not sure what that means though...it was the only bar they carried! haha and yeah, super light. I'm excited to ride into work tomorrow to really vet them.

Bajaedition

Cambo, looks good

I want some saddle bags that look good on mine for the commuter look, not the full touring look

also, I think I like the factory winshield, seeing it on yours is making me drool.

so far I have
tank bra
Corbin Seat
Fender Eliminator
integrated tail lights sequential clear lense led
led license plate light
I want to get still
factory windshield
engine cage
givi luggage

cambo

Avid Rider
hey thanks Baja, yeah I think the factory windshield is also the cheapest option out there now? I've seen some on ebay for around 70 bucks. haha, I'll trade you my windshield for your corbin seat ;)

yeah, I'm looking around and the givi is the best looking one out of the storage options I've seen.

decooney

Cambo,

I was wondering if you'd come full circle. :) You almost need two bikes to cover both ends of the spectrum each having its own purpose. Honestly, one of the reasons I went with the FZ8 was the riding position and how fun it is to ride. With a tad wider bars on mine, its more fun than ever. A tad forward lean, neck not kinked, being able to look around and just zipping around is a blast. "Upgright" bikes are the rage all over again!

cambo

Avid Rider
Cambo,

I was wondering if you'd come full circle. :) You almost need two bikes to cover both ends of the spectrum each having its own purpose. Honestly, one of the reasons I went with the FZ8 was the riding position and how fun it is to ride. With a tad wider bars on mine, its more fun than ever. A tad forward lean, neck not kinked, being able to look around and just zipping around is a blast. "Upgright" bikes are the rage all over again!

ah man...I couldn't agree more. I didn't take it for a spin yet...I just took it off the rear stand and sat on it. but boy, what a relief...I can sit up right, comfortably place my feet on the pegs, and best of all, no more 'kink'!

I can say it's been one giant science experiment. I couldn't have known if I didn't try!

MikeC

Weekend Rider
This is SO crazy, I just installed my pro-tapers like 10 minutes ago. Still not sure what to do about bar ends... :(

cambo

Avid Rider
This is SO crazy, I just installed my pro-tapers like 10 minutes ago. Still not sure what to do about bar ends... :(

awesome dude! haha, what are the odds of that. which bars did you get?
My bar came with bar end plugs so I'm good with that.

I rode into work this morning. It was freezing, I think it was 45 or so...and I only have a mesh jacket lol. But I noticed way less vibration from even the stock handlebar. My hands were numb from the cold...but not that rattled kind of numb I used to get from the stock handlebars. :tup: