plasti dipped white wheels on the FZ8!!

desertdude

always loved the look of the white wheels on some of the Ducati's and GSX-R's and decided to see how it would look on the FZ8. Used 4 cans of white plasti dip and 1 can of glossifier. I think it looks great. So when it comes time for new tires i'll be getting them permanently white by powder coating them. Also installed the CRG bar end mirrors.

cambo

Avid Rider
awesome dude! what was your prep like? I tried doing my wheels and it came out horrendous but I also know I didn't prep mine properly...

looks sweet! master paper clip's bike would look good with these wheels.

desertdude

i washed my wheels with Dawn dish soap, then used rubbing alcohol on a terry cloth till the towels were clean. I dont have a front stand either, but I do have a huge load bearing stud in my garage and wrapped a tow strap around it thru the drywall and then used a ratchet strap to raise it up. This was my first time plasti dipping anything, its not exactly perfect, but will last awhile im sure. Thanks for the compliments guys.

Rotaryknight

they look damn nice.

I would hate cleaning them though...I already disliked cleaning my front fender which is plastidip white lol.

Would love to powder coat them white though during the winter

Keach

Had a friend plasti dip his car rims and was having trouble getting the brake dust off. He discovered Mother's Foaming Wheel Cleaner took brake dust off the rims without effort. Just in case you have trouble getting them clean! Have a feeling white is gonna be tough.

MotoZen

Just curious do those CRGS still allow you to use the bar ends?

Not the stock bar ends. I have the CRG Arrow mirrors and they look like they are the same ones. They replace the stock bar ends and even the bar end inserts. I have seen custom bar ends with a section milled down for bar end mirrors to clamp onto though.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

desertdude

yep, first time plasti dipping. I was worried about how it would turn out and whether i wasted my time and money. As for the CRG bar end mirrors, I made mine work WITH the stock bar end weights. I wasn't going to add vibrations to my hands and my mirrors. It was simple. I went to Ace Hardware and found a bolt that was longer than the stock bolt by 3/4" or whatever the bar end mirror depth is, and then a fender washer. Bolt-fender washer-mirror-bar end and threaded right into the stock insert.