Photos of GPS and mounts on your FZ8 ???

decooney

Looking for photos of GPS units mounted on your FZ8s?

center or side bar mounts, whatever you got to show.... Thanks!

thach1130

Slightly off-center mount since the 12v accessory plug is on the right side. Garmin 760T. It has bluetooth capability, play mp3 through your bluetooth headset as well as providing turn by turn instruction through the headset. With a cheap ebay bluetooth intercom system you can have riding music as well as navigation instruction stream to your head. Too bad its a discontinued model. They don't make any model with that capability anymore...except their uber expensive motorcycle's zumo line.

You can connect the bluetooth headset to your phone and get the same music and navigation but phone needs constant data connection (unless you shell out for the paid/offline navigation). Phone will also burn through battery quickly when using GPS and music. With the GPS plugged in to the 12v accessory socket, I don't have to worry.

One worry I do have is "rain". GPS is not waterproof. So any light drizzle and in the pocket or under the pillion seat it goes. I'm thinking of adding another accessory socket in my rear top case which i will tap into the license plate light. That way if i get caught in the rain and still need gps i will toss it in the top case and plug it in.

One thing i've found out is that you can connect both your cell phone and GPS to the headset. You just do it in the right order. You first connect the GPS to your headset as a media device (which will also provide GPS instruction). Then connect your phone. That way you get music, turn by turn instructions from the GPS and still be able to receive phone call through your phone.

MotoZen

Not actually a GPS mount, but I bought a mount for my Galaxy S3 from eBay along with a 2 amp charger that gets wired to your battery. I also have a Sena Bluetooth and use it for music, GPS and even the occasional phone call.

You can get waterproof mounts for many smart phones, but they cost more. I think that this mount cost me $6 and the charger was $30.

For ease of use, I bought a cheap stylus from Wal-Mart that has a pen clip type thing in the side. I keep it clipped to the velcro on my glove. If I need to pull over to interact with the phone for any reason, I don't have to pull off my glove and it's within easy reach.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

decooney

Sort of looking at something like this, found this on a Honda.

Garmin Zumo 350LM with a RAM ball mount.

Since I moved my mirrors to bar ends, found out you can use the factory mirror mounts with a ball like this, more to the left. This photo gives an idea. So far i can't find anyone who has tried this with an FZ8 yet online.

Man, those 350LM motorcycle units from Garmin are not inexpensive - argh!

thach1130

I know, it the main reason why i had to find a discontinued 760 model. You can still update the map and POI on them so it's not like they're any different than the newer model.
If you don't mind the non-water-proofed problem of the 760 you can get one for under 100 on ebay.

As shown above the cheapest solution is a phone mount and the phone's navigation.

decooney

thach,
thanks for the tip.

There is no cell coverage here 100 miles into the Sierra Nevada range. On what wast to be a short ride, we were getting lost deep into it this weekend, and thank goodness one guy had his GPS in his bag. Cell phones had no service most of the time. Having a good GPS is they key to getting outta there!, and/or not running out of gas. Did 180 miles of deep mountain twisties this past weekend. The whole time I kept thinking, I sure hope one of these guys has a real GPS with them, and I shoulda bought one last week. I am now. ;)

toothycardus

Sort of looking at something like this, found this on a Honda.

Garmin Zumo 350LM with a RAM ball mount.

Since I moved my mirrors to bar ends, found out you can use the factory mirror mounts with a ball like this, more to the left. This photo gives an idea. So far i can't find anyone who has tried this with an FZ8 yet online.

i use this style mount (replaces the bolt) for my fz8 as ive had the handlebar clamps before and all of them damage the paint on the bar, even if you stick rubber there eventually it wears through the paint.

NoNine4me

It's great to see guys touring and using the FZ8 for all kinds of riding. I don't really think of it as anything but a bike to haul ass around town and in the canyons but the truth is, it is a great standard motorcycle, capable of anything.

toothycardus

Shot of garmin mount on fz8 replacing handle bar bolt

you will need to zoom in but it is there (only photo i had to hand)