PCV Worth it??

LLeDoux66

Ok so I am going to buy a power commander, I have graves slip on a K&n air filter with air box mod, I have -1 + 2 sprockets plus Spedo healer. So getting the PCV worth it? What I'm looking for is a complete death machine... To understand what I mean my other bike is a Ducati Pani 1199...

master paper clip

Your better off going with a re flash vs a pcv or juice box, pcv and juice box just modify your fuel tables within the restrictions placed on the ecu from factory,with the re flashed ecu u get all that plus u loose the restrictions and really really open up your bike, plus I believe the re flash option is also cheaper

goldfz8

i just got my ecu unleashed and personally im not 100 satisfied the way people described it i was expecting alot more, dont get me wrong the bike is faster the rpm is higher and everything they promise but if your a good rider and youve have a much faster bike like yourself it just doesnt cut it. So now im going to also get the pcv and get a full dyno tune. Cant put a price on fun.

LLeDoux66

i just got my ecu unleashed and personally im not 100 satisfied the way people described it i was expecting alot more, dont get me wrong the bike is faster the rpm is higher and everything they promise but if your a good rider and youve have a much faster bike like yourself it just doesnt cut it. So now im going to also get the pcv and get a full dyno tune. Cant put a price on fun.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of thanks man

RD GUY

Ok so I am going to buy a power commander, I have graves slip on a K&n air filter with air box mod, I have -1 + 2 sprockets plus Spedo healer. So getting the PCV worth it? What I'm looking for is a complete death machine... To understand what I mean my other bike is a Ducati Pani 1199...

I got the same set up but its winter here so have not been able set up speedohealer what numbers did you put in your speedohaeler thanks.

9 Lives

IMO, it all depends on what your looking for. Some guys just want to throw something on the bike to make it go faster for the cheapest price. If your that kind of guy then I would say getting your ECU flashed ie the Guhl flash is for you. The PCV and Flash tune (do it yourself ECU Flash), again IMO, is more geared towards the do it yourself types that like to tinker. Each method to tune your bike has its pros and cons, all I can say is do your homework and decide for YOURSELF which is the best way to accomplish what YOU want. There is tons of posts on the PCV, JBP and the ECU Flash if you need more info.

Last edited:

MotoZen

I've heard some bad things about ECU Unleashed. I love close to Guhl motors and they have redone many ECUs done by ecunleashed. I got mine done by Guhl's, but haven't had a chance to ride yet (still winter here). I've seen many posts from people very happy with both Flash Tune and Guhl's.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

goldfz8

I dont think the flash tunes are crap im just personally some one who wants more. The tune is good the bike feels great but i just want more. As for whats done i personaly know that the shop that did my tune here in ny is very reputable for doing amazing work.

MotoZen

I dont think the flash tunes are crap im just personally some one who wants more. The tune is good the bike feels great but i just want more. As for whats done i personaly know that the shop that did my tune here in ny is very reputable for doing amazing work.

From what I understand, Ecunleashed dealers aren't really doing the tuning. They send your bikes information to another company in Italy, who then creates a map and sends it back as an encrypted file. All the dealer is really doing is acting as the go between.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

9 Lives

I talked to a couple of the dyno tuning shops here in Edmonton and they will use PCV, JBP or Flash tune, whatever you want. So if you have them use Flash tune you get the best of both worlds, having YOUR bike on the dyno, not just something close and with flash tune you can do more than PCV ect such as the rate the secondary flies open ect. Just IMO of course.

mrarmy300

Pillion
I put a couple thousand miles on last season with my PCV and I wasn't impressed. Maybe I don't have the best table for my mods, but other than a few extra MPH on the top end I can't hardly notice a difference.

lance2448

Personally, I prefer the Power Commander.

I've done various forms of tech support/sysadmin stuff my whole career, and using 1 processor to modify the output of another before the data reaches it's destination just screams bad idea to me. BUT, I know for a fact that with the stock ECU, the bike will start and run well enough to get me home every time.

That means, if something fails, or I make a bad map, I can always get myself home by just unplugging some cables on the side of the road. If you mess up the ECU, you have nothing to go back on.

Plus, I try to make sure every modification I make can be undone, and reverted to stock. If I wanted to, I could undo every change I've made to this bike, except for painting the headers, and it would be the same as stock. Makes it much easier to sell later on.

Just my $0.02

9 Lives

Personally, I prefer the Power Commander.

I've done various forms of tech support/sysadmin stuff my whole career, and using 1 processor to modify the output of another before the data reaches it's destination just screams bad idea to me. BUT, I know for a fact that with the stock ECU, the bike will start and run well enough to get me home every time.

That means, if something fails, or I make a bad map, I can always get myself home by just unplugging some cables on the side of the road. If you mess up the ECU, you have nothing to go back on.

Plus, I try to make sure every modification I make can be undone, and reverted to stock. If I wanted to, I could undo every change I've made to this bike, except for painting the headers, and it would be the same as stock. Makes it much easier to sell later on.

Just my $0.02

You made some good points, lots of things to consider. Sometimes I miss the old days of carburetors and points, much simpler.

Last edited:

Tix

I just read that you can put Yamaha R1 cams in the FZ8..That must make it more power right?

While I'm unsure how much more power it would help to make, I recall reading that the FZ8's engine is a slightly modified 2008 R1 engine?

Is that true?

Bajaedition

Biggest thing to remember about going out and buying the latest AGEN/ECU?/pouser/givox is that the latest way to get you to buy it is to let the guys who have bought one write a review.
the review will go like this
I just bought the SICNES/ECU/SUPEREXPENSE brand and it has turned my bike into a super machine, I get super low end and have increased my bike by 25% in HP. It is totally a new machine.
Now they never even have thought about doing a dyno test and the bike is a mess of non tested aftermarket parts they just bolt on.
Remember, guys who have just spend serious dough on a new aftermarket device are going want you to think they have the best

but bottom line, take that bike to a dyno and see that it gives a 3 HP gain at around 8 grand and over

HOW MANY F(*&ING times are you going be going over 8 grand anyway?
And unless you have the name of that psrt all over your bike who is going know you even have it?

it is not as kewl as the after market exhaust you have everyone can see is it?

now, our FZ8s have a really killer torque band that is really flat all over the RPM range and super usable from the factory. If you are not taking this thing to the track then what are you trying to pick up with a new control box?

get the reflash and save a ton of money.