Passenger grab rail install.

bandit

I just ordered a set of passenger grab rails for my fz8. It says that modification of the rear cowl is required. Anybody out there installed grab rails on their fz8 and what did they have to modifiy to install them? Thanks.

rug_burn

Yeah I did that... they're real good grab bars which I mainly use to tie stuff off to when hauling some thing like a toothbrush or jacket rolled up... ain't much room.
The cut pattern is already on the back of the rear cowl, use a dremel and be careful to cut to the correct line. This assumes you got the Yamaha grab bars.
I have hooked many shirts on the rear points of the bars and ripped them. Even caught my shoelaces on those points one time when bump starting it down an incline, and had to drop the bike to get loose (no, it didn't start, I left the key on and drained the battery ) I tuck my shoelaces into my boots now.

[]V[]addog

the fazer 8 comes with the grab rails I agree. Very sturdy, nice addition.
My girlfriend uses them all the time while riding two up. Keeps hr weight off me better that way.

bandit

thanks

Thanks for the info.I purchased the yamaha grab rails. I had them on my previous bike and loved them and now my kid is 6' 2" and he doesent like holding on to his dad anymore. :)

Evad

I also added the grab bars to my fz8, i suggest you do your first pass with the dremel almost 1/4" inside the lines. I found the cowl markings to remove more plastic than required. Trim it rough then grind down to the perfect fit. Also purchase a strip of self adhesive gasketing to properly re-seal the pasenger seat/cowl. End result is nice, and this was my first time using a dremel, kind of unerving to hack away at a new motorcycle at first, but once you get going it is a walk in the park!

BigD

mine has grab rails too ;)

bandit

I just installed the grab rails. It went pretty smooth with no issues. It was a little scary cutting with the dremel hoping I didn't screw up. When I was installing the "front" seat I stripped out the threads in one of the bolt holes.:mad:
I lucked out that I had the right size helicoil in my toolbox for a quick fix. If you ever strip out the thread for the seat bolts it takes a 6mm helicoil. Thanks for the info.

Savvides24

I just installed the grab rails. It went pretty smooth with no issues. It was a little scary cutting with the dremel hoping I didn't screw up. When I was installing the "front" seat I stripped out the threads in one of the bolt holes.:mad:
I lucked out that I had the right size helicoil in my toolbox for a quick fix. If you ever strip out the thread for the seat bolts it takes a 6mm helicoil. Thanks for the info.

Hey I just got my grab bars today and i'm not sure how to install. Do i need to remove the plastics around the rear seat? I don't see any pre-defined lined on the exterior of the plastic. Also, what tool/parts did you need to use (e.g. bolt, dremmel, etc.) I would appreciate as much detail as possible regarding the install. Thanks!

9 Lives

Yes remove the back cowl. Look up the moyodynamic integrated tail light how to, it will explain how to remove it. In the inside of the cowl you will see cut out lines. Use a dremel or like tool and carefully cut the plastic. Stop before you get to the line and test fit it. Repeat until it fits properly. Take your time and be patient.

Are these the ones I sent you? I am samsquanch on the other forum

Last edited: