Opinions on Coffman's Exhaust

Enzod123

So, I like this muffler and It sounded pretty good in the Youtube video I watched. It's a Coffmans unit with a gold anodized tip. I saw it on an R6. I thought that the gold would compliment the forks nicely. I was right. Its 10x nicer than those shorty pipes you can get for $50 on ePay. Sounds good rather than ear piercing like those shorty's. The fit and finish are 100 x better and it feels and looks "engineered" rather than welded in someones garage. Not that there's anything wrong with that. So anyway, they don't make one for an FZ8, so I called up the company and spoke with Mr. Coffman directly. Super nice guy. Spent a lot of time on the phone with me trying to figure out if one of his existing products would fit well or if he had to design something new. I have attached pics of an R6 unit he sent me to see how it looks and fits. The diameter if the inlet is wrong. I was hoping that it would be close enough to wrestle on there. He's interested in making an FZ8 specific unit. Curious to get opinions from you guys.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
I freakin' love it...how much is he charging? I used to have one of those ebay ones and I wouldn't go back to that kind of exhaust...but I do love the fit and finish of this coffmans.

VERRRY NIICCE HOWW MUUCCHHH (borat voice)

second question: did your tires come with the raised white letters? or did you do that? if so how? I like the look of the wheels. very offical race-like

Enzod123

If you look on Ebay, he sells them for $185 with free shipping. I want the look of a shorty without the ridiculous sound. This pipe does just that.

I used a silver paint pen that I got through eBay to paint the letters. Took a while and a steady hand. Came out awesome I think.

It sticks out WAY to far. I just got off the phone with him to talk about exactly that. I'm sending this one back and he is going to design one specifically for our bike. Anyone in California want to ride over there ? Would be so much easier to get this done.

cambo

Avid Rider
If you look on Ebay, he sells them for $185 with free shipping. I want the look of a shorty without the ridiculous sound. This pipe does just that.

I used a silver paint pen that I got through eBay to paint the letters. Took a while and a steady hand. Came out awesome I think.

It sticks out WAY to far. I just got off the phone with him to talk about exactly that. I'm sending this one back and he is going to design one specifically for our bike. Anyone in California want to ride over there ? Would be so much easier to get this done.

what if I just send him the ebay crap one that I've got so he'll have the right measurements i.e. inlet diameter? And then tell him to take two or three inches off the length (ebay pipe stuck out too far too).

Kardiac996

I like the look but I feel it sticks out from the bike to far

Agreed. The mid pipe needs like a small S bend to place the output closer to the swingarm. That would hit the pavement on hard corners and looks like it goes on a R6 as the fitment does show its not designed for the Fz8.

I do however think the pipe looks gorgeous and compliments the bike very well.

Enzod123

I don't think that getting the pipe diameter right will be a problem. Getting the bend and angle right is the key. He also agreed that it needs more of a bend at the beginning. I've been sending him pics and my crude measurements. If anyone has anything they think it would be helpful for him to have, see or know, post it up. I really like this thing and want the finished product to fit our bikes just right.

master paper clip

Only thing he needs to do is bring it closer to the swing arm, the length and angle are spot on in my opinion I like the position from the first pic, that's how it should look when done

Enzod123

Yeah. The mid pipe is basically straight, welded to the muffler at a 5 degree angle. I think it needs to be a curved pipe and just a shade longer so it sits next to the swing arm rather than under it. Remember, this doesn't fit the factory outlet. I just have it mocked in place. Had it fit, it would bring it in about 2 more inches. Look at the 3rd pic and try to picture what im saying. I attached another pic so you could see what I mean.

I think your right about the first pic. The angle flows nicely with the tail section of the bike.

I emailed him the website name and thread info in the hopes that he would check it out.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

Marthy

I bet that thing will look great on my mid ship exhaust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Enzod123

I'm thinking add 2 inches to the mid pipe so when installed properly it will sit like pic #3, then a curve back maybe 30 ish degrees, then the muffler. Should put it right next to the swing arm. I have to find one of those angle protractor things and measure exactly how many degrees difference between the outlet and the swing arm.

Enzod123

You know what Marthy, I think it would look awesome. That would put the whole muffler underneath the bike right ? This muffler body, not including the small mid pipe/mounting flange, is 9 1/4 inches long from the end of the tip to where the body meets the flange. Will it fit under there ?

master paper clip

Hell yes, my man Marthy chiming in at te rite moment, I was about to sav it should be midship mounted, would look kinda like the fz09 exhaust... Just not as chunky

Marthy

You know what Marthy, I think it would look awesome. That would put the whole muffler underneath the bike right ? This muffler body, not including the small mid pipe/mounting flange, is 9 1/4 inches long from the end of the tip to where the body meets the flange. Will it fit under there ?

I still have the exhaust we use to do the tune if you want to try it. You could always bring the slipon to a muffler shop and get it expand to fit. It need to fit over a 2" tube.

Enzod123

This should fit on a 2" pipe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the factory outlet more like 2 1/8th ? I dont want to expand it and destroy the finish.

If you want to send them to me Marthy, I will put them on with this muffler, take some pics and then send them back to you. Whatever I can do to help you bro. Your the man.

Marthy

This should fit on a 2" pipe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the factory outlet more like 2 1/8th ? I dont want to expand it and destroy the finish.

If you want to send them to me Marthy, I will put them on with this muffler, take some pics and then send them back to you. Whatever I can do to help you bro. Your the man.

Sure. PM me your address and I will send it next week. Kind of have a full schedule this week...