on ramps

pigdog

there is no posted speed limit as to how fast you can accelerate when merging on to the faster highways. some entrances are short, requiring a twist of the wrist where you you merge with traffic. on longer on ramps is it legal to exceed the speed limit to merge into traffic safely?

alexk

Weekend Rider
I grew up in Los Angeles, so I might be able to answer this.

The default speed limit on California onramps and offramps unless otherwise posted is 45mph.

Now, I'm iffy on the terminology from here on out, but bear with me...

On city streets (it varies from city to city), the speed limits are more suggestions as to what the planners think is safe, and can be exceeded in rare circumstances (1am, no other vehicles around, well lit, your car/bike in good repair, driver wide awake...). This turns it into a basic speed law question of whether you were travelling faster than deemed safe by the officer or the judge. Probably not worth the fight.

On state and interstate highways, the speed limits are hard limits. This means that it's never legal to exceed the posted limit, even if driving/riding the posted limit presents a danger due to traffic moving faster (and thats a different kind of ticket... damned if you do damned if you dont).

In short, in all cases you're balancing fun, safety, and frugality. Understand what your risks are at all times, both seen and unseen. Find your sweet spot where the benefits outweigh the risks. Its your skin and your wallet. =)

//stays within 15% indicated of the posted limit (speedo inaccuracy should take care of 9% of that)
//all the gear all the time
//waves at the cops when its safe to do so

VDCOFF

I'm a police officer here in pa....the on ramps are designed so you can speed up to highway speeds and merge with traffic safely, the off ramps are designed so you can get off of the highway and then slow down without impeding traffic on the main highway section.

this is in PA.

97audia4

I'm a police officer here in pa....the on ramps are designed so you can speed up to highway speeds and merge with traffic safely, the off ramps are designed so you can get off of the highway and then slow down without impeding traffic on the main highway section.

this is in PA.

i usually use on ramps as my chance to hit the triple then slow back down to highway speeds

pigdog

there a few on ramps that are way too short around here entering south bound 101, proof being all the flowers on crosses on the roadside. 0-60 in 3.4sec is not an exhibition of speed. its survival.