OIL HELP

DanS

Commuter
I use the regular yamalube in both my fz8 and my vmax !non synthetic!
Runs like a top!

I'm at 4k miles, so my next will be full synthetic..... Don't know what kind yet. The full synthetic yamalube is like 14$ a quart :eek:

I might run royal purple motorcycle oil in its place.
Mobil1 4T from Oreilly auto parts or auto zone usually runs between $9-$10 per quart, they don't always have it on the shelf but they can get it within a day. I buy my K&N filters from them also. I've seen it at bike shops for as much as $17/qt.

DanS

Commuter
I switched over to full synthetic yesterday. It changes the bike entirely smoother shifting(especially clutchless) no knocking clutch when you take off, just smoother all around. BUT the clutch is slipping like a bitch too. It might be because there's too much (I put in 3qts with the filter change and its WAYY too much despite what the manual says).
After draining the oil and replacing the filter I put in 2 1/2 qts, start her up and let her idle for just a minute, drink a beer and let her rest, stroke her sexy little seat and lube that hot chain. Then I grab that insatiable beast by the bars, stand her up level and feed her my Mobil1 all the way to the full mark on her sight glass :D

618FZ8

My man. Did just the same, although started with 2.7 QTS. I let it run until the gauge read 180°f cooled for about 5 minutes and it was WAY below the mark. and the oil was very bubbly..(possibly only the bubbles reaching the sight glass low line). I put the full 3 QTS in after that and its ridiculously full now. So I'd guess the sight glass, specifically between the tick marks are 0.1qts?
After draining the oil and replacing the filter I put in 2 1/2 qts, start her up and let her idle for just a minute, drink a beer and let her rest, stroke her sexy little seat and lube that hot chain. Then I grab that insatiable beast by the bars, stand her up level and feed her my Mobil1 all the way to the full mark on her sight glass :D

rug_burn

Go to bobtheoilguy website and read up on it. Very good website about oils.

Yeah, that guy does know his stuff... I use Mobil 1 15-50 ($25 for 5 qts, Walmart) and believe it or not, I got 14,000 miles on the last oil change, and the oil still was not loaded up with dirt or soot, or broken down when I changed it. I just had to change it, out of general principles.

Geanmage13

How to get rid of the oil?!

I have never done it myself because i don't know how to dispose it :confused:

Do you use a special container and where/how do you dispose it?

Shorted

I have never done it myself because i don't know how to dispose it :confused:

Do you use a special container and where/how do you dispose it?

Don't know about LA, but here in Illinois, Advance Auto parts takes your used oil. Jiffy Lube does as well. You can buy a special oil drain pan that is easy to drain your oil as to dispose of it, really convenient.

Shorted

Cool guys thanks for the tip. How often do you change it?

Well, you live in Michigan. I would assume that you will put your bike away in the winter(like I do here in Illinois). My advise is to change your oil once a year,(even if you don't hit the 3k mile mark)like at the start of every season. The reason is because oil breaks down when not in use for long periods of time. I use the correct spec oil but no synthetic, and this is what I do and the bike runs great!
Maybe somebody running synthetic living in the Midwest or Canada can give us more input on what they do.

Last edited: