Oil Drain Bolt size and Stahlbus oil drain valve

thach1130

Any one know the dimension and thread pitch of our oil drain bolt?
I figure it would be the same as the FZ1 which is M14 1.5 but i'd just like to get positive confirmation. I'm planning to install an oil valve to make oil change quicker and less messy.

Any one have these valve installed? Stahlbus oil valve.

From the look of it it seems better than the Fumoto oil valve since they do not require an adapter like the Fumoto valve. No adapter mean it doesn't stick out and risk being shear off.

lance2448

I personally would not do that...but I'm also known to take sport bikes off road....so....

I am surprised that there isn't a magnet on it though.

D

Deleted member 438

It seems like a good idea, but I don't know if that's legal at the track, so it might not work for me. The thread pitch is the same as the FZ1.

thach1130

I personally would not do that...but I'm also known to take sport bikes off road....so....

I am surprised that there isn't a magnet on it though.

But from the look of it the drain valve is the same or near the same height as the oil drain bolt. So it should be protected by that extended shield where the oil drain bolt is located. It's also the reason why i think it is a better solution than the Fumoto valve which need an extension adapter which makes it sticks out.

D

Deleted member 438

Did you buy that drain valve yet? I think I'm gonna get one.

beefcake morris

Good question, been wondering myself and looking for photos. I am pretty sure I will put one on my FZ8.

Hell, if it is as low profile as it seems to be this might be what I need for my DRZ, so I don't have to take the skid plate off each time.

D

Deleted member 438

They also have a cap that allows you to safety wire it, which I think is a good. They have the set that comes with the additional safety wire cap on the stahlbus us site for 64.95. They have some brake bleeders that really good too, they might be better than speed bleeders.

thach1130

yes i did get the drain valve. just changed the oil less than 100 miles before though. too lazy to drain the oil just to install the valve. i will wait until my next oil change. the valve is indeed very low profile. shouldn't be sticking out much at all compare to the fumoto valve which sticks out when using the extension adapter.

thach1130

Forgot to update this thread. I installed the oil valve. It works really well and is neater than the fumoto valve. Accidentally over filled the oil? No need to undo the drain bolt and get yourself dirty again. Just insert the attachment, one twist and the oil flows out. Another twist and the flow is cut off.

BLAZEX09

Commuter
Looks pretty good! Do you need the adapter to get the oil to flow or is it just a switch deal? Also if it is a switch (or lever etc.) is there anything preventing it from vibrating to an open position?

thach1130

It comes with the adapter. You unscrew that aluminum cap like a water bottle cap. You insert the adapter which is like a smaller tube which lift up the BB inside the oil valve and let the oil drain out through the adapter. 1/8 turn and it locks the adapter in place. No oil gets on your hand. Once done, a slight twist and the adapter disconnect and you pull it out. The spring/BB mechanism drop and the oil stop draining. The grey cap you see is held internally with rubber O rings so less chance of vibrating loose. They also sell a wire cap i believe if you're the paranoid type. Even if it does vibrate loose (unlikely) the internal of the valve is still contain by the BB/spring mechanism so no oil will drain.

The plus side is the adapter and valve comes as a set, but you can also buy the valve separately for cheaper to install on other bike/car, so you can use the same adapter for draining oil.

Here's the animation on how it work

Last edited: