Oil change before winter.

zikolai

Hi guys, I still consider myself new to the forum so if I am double posting please do not hesitate to tell me or point me to the right direction.

I bought my bike new in July. Did the first 1000KM and then had my dealer to do the first service on the bike. Now I will soon store the bike until april and I am wondering if I should change the oil before and after winter or is it ok to just change the oil before putting it back on the road next spring?

I have about 3000KM done since the first oil change.

Thanks !

DSmith

I'd recommend changing your oil right before you put the bike away for the winter. That way you have very little contaminants sitting in your engine for several months. I like doing it for a little extra insurance come spring time.

Kardiac996

Its a great idea to put a fresh set of oil and filter in.

I also put a fuel stabilizer in the gas tank too. Also if you dont have front and rear stands make sure to put the bike tires on cardboard to avoid flat spots in the rubber from freezing on the pavement.

I also go over the bike with a rag lightly coated with wd40 to prevent wear on metal and rubber parts from the elements.

Just some other thoughts.

cxa0897

A tad off topic, but a cover is a solid investment as well if you don't have one, even if its indoors. You would be surprised what kind of stuff will settle on your bike even in a garage with little .

Also, Stabil or any other fuel stabilizer is a must if you don't run the tank empty. Our gasoline here (10% ethanol) will start to break down within 30 days or so. After a few months it can be rather destructive in small motors. I'm don't remember what % you guys had when I was up there last, but I do think it had a decent amount of ethanol in it. For a few bucks, it is absolutely worth the investment

Last edited:

alexk

Weekend Rider
Ninnies.

I know I'm in Texas, but ice and snow aren't unheard of here. This past January I actually did ride on ice (whee!), and have many hours in sub-freezing temperatures.

So... why garage a bike over the winter? You're depriving yourself of serious fun!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V2gjQ0WdHw]Motorcycle ride on snow !! - YouTube[/ame]

Don't do anything you can't handle. I'm not responsible for my own stupidity, let alone yours. :p

9 Lives

A tad off topic, but a cover is a solid investment as well if you don't have one, even if its indoors. You would be surprised what kind of stuff will settle on your bike even in a garage with little .

Also, Stabil or any other fuel stabilizer is a must if you don't run the tank empty. Our gasoline here (10% ethanol) will start to break down within 30 days or so. After a few months it can be rather destructive in small motors. I'm don't remember what % you guys had when I was up there last, but I do think it had a decent amount of ethanol in it. For a few bucks, it is absolutely worth the investment

The only gas in Canada that I am aware of that has no ethanol in it is the shell high grade. I run a tank or 2 at the end of the season to flush out all the ethanol. They also sell a fuel stabilizer at the Yamaha dealerships which is supposed to stop the ethanol from separating, not sure how well it works. I also put a bit of seafoam in the tank and run it for a while. Have done this with everything I own that sits for over a month and have never had a problem. Its not a good idea to run your tank empty on a fuel injected bike, the fuel pump seals can dry out and leak, I learned that the hard way with my snowmobile.

Last edited:

RoadKill

I know I'm in Texas, but ice and snow aren't unheard of here. This past January I actually did ride on ice (whee!), and have many hours in sub-freezing temperatures.

So... why garage a bike over the winter? You're depriving yourself of serious fun!

I ride all winter unless there is snow on the ground/falling that day.

9 Lives

Don't do anything you can't handle. I'm not responsible for my own stupidity, let alone yours. :p

Or better yet buy a snowmobile, a vehicle that is designed for the winter. Way more fun that a street bike IMO.

Now this is what I call fun

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf5PgFk3yFY]very extreme snowmobiling - YouTube[/ame]

zikolai

Thanks guys for all the tips. I'll definitely change the oil and filter before winter and the bike will be sitting on two stands with a cover during storage. I also purchased a battery tender junior so the battery keeps its charge.

:)

DSmith

I ride all winter unless there is snow on the ground/falling that day.

Your not worried about the leftover salt eatting your bike apart? In new england we salt the shit out of our roads. I feel like the salt never really washes off the roads untill spring time after some good rain

cxa0897

Its not a good idea to run your tank empty on a fuel injected bike, the fuel pump seals can dry out and leak, I learned that the hard way with my snowmobile.

Good to know. Siphoning the fuel out would probably be the better bet then?

Hellgate

Its a great idea to put a fresh set of oil and filter in.

I also put a fuel stabilizer in the gas tank too. Also if you dont have front and rear stands make sure to put the bike tires on cardboard to avoid flat spots in the rubber from freezing on the pavement.

I also go over the bike with a rag lightly coated with wd40 to prevent wear on metal and rubber parts from the elements.

Just some other thoughts.

WD40 is a solvent and will break down rubber, not a good idea for rubber parts. If you really care about your tires use a set of stands to lift the bike off the ground, cardboard isn't going to help anything. If it's freezing, it's freezing and the weight of the bike is on the tire regardless of what you put underweight it.

Personally, add some IPA to the fuel and call it a day.

Kardiac996

WD40 is a solvent and will break down rubber, not a good idea for rubber parts. If you really care about your tires use a set of stands to lift the bike off the ground, cardboard isn't going to help anything. If it's freezing, it's freezing and the weight of the bike is on the tire regardless of what you put underweight it.

I noted if he didn't have stands that the cardboard is better then direct asphalt and yes it does help, stands are optimal and that goes without saying. You would be surprised how much is dispersed from a few stacked pieced of cardboard.

And I have never had an issue with a wipe down with WD40 for long term coverage. Light touch on a rag on metal parts and to clean up rubber fixtures. Better then letting road oil and dirt sit on them all winter. Again no soaking parts here just a light run over and a pat dry. Ive used WD40 to clean engines and associated parts for years followed by a good degrease wash and then a light touch on the said parts.

9 Lives

Good to know. Siphoning the fuel out would probably be the better bet then?

Its best to keep the pump immersed in fuel, 1/4 tank is enough, as long as you don't completely drain it. I keep mine full so there is no room for condensation. If you can find a fuel without ethanol, run a tank of it then top it up. if not then use the additive for ethanol.

thach1130

You mean this stuff?

Your not worried about the leftover salt eatting your bike apart? In new england we salt the shit out of our roads. I feel like the salt never really washes off the roads untill spring time after some good rain

Thats what im mostly worried of... I just bought a new Toyota FJ Cruiser and after just one New England winter there was already rust on the frame, i would never subject my bike to that!