odd issue the other day.. please provide thoughts

04wrxwagon

I was out for a ride on Saturday, my buddy and I were kind of doing a "pull" down a back road. I was shifting at 10.5/11, just before redline. I was in 6th and maybe only at 9k..I let off the throttle and started to slow down and it seemed to start popping more than usual.. so I come back down to 45-50 mph and start to cruise again and I had absolutely no power. It sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders. My buddy even heard how it sounded. So we pulled over. I revved it a few times while we were stopped and it sounded like it was a 2 cylinder bike. I shut the key off, do a visual inspection. My friends said there wasn't any smoke or anything coming out. My temp guage was fine, no oil light. So I start it back up and now it's running fine again..

Mods - air filter/air box mod and PCV with the Jumbo map.

My first thought, maybe it ran rich and flooded out a cylinder? No clue.. bike runs great and still pulls hard. temp guage is still normal as well..

Fazer 8

No real idea, but my first fuel-injected bike, a Suzuki V-Strom, had a tendency to sometimes run like crap after being run hard. Seems like the FI system was getting "confused" in some way. Shutting off and restarting the bike would typically resolve the issue.

pigdog

when you close the throttle, the fuel injectors turn off. try rolling off the throttle without closing it all the way.

Blinkgold311

I was out for a ride on Saturday, my buddy and I were kind of doing a "pull" down a back road. I was shifting at 10.5/11, just before redline. I was in 6th and maybe only at 9k..I let off the throttle and started to slow down and it seemed to start popping more than usual.. so I come back down to 45-50 mph and start to cruise again and I had absolutely no power. It sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders. My buddy even heard how it sounded. So we pulled over. I revved it a few times while we were stopped and it sounded like it was a 2 cylinder bike. I shut the key off, do a visual inspection. My friends said there wasn't any smoke or anything coming out. My temp guage was fine, no oil light. So I start it back up and now it's running fine again..

Mods - air filter/air box mod and PCV with the Jumbo map.

My first thought, maybe it ran rich and flooded out a cylinder? No clue.. bike runs great and still pulls hard. temp guage is still normal as well..

YES!!!!! Same thing happened to me. I burned out a coil pack for one of the spark plugs - see my post for "Loss of Power, sputtering...." You can check them by looking at the primary and secondary resistance of each coil pack with a multi-meter. I can provide additional instruction, but basically, check across the two metal tines on the top, then check from one of the tops to where the plug connects. One of them will probably read low for resistance. Each coil pack is about 75USD.

Blinkgold311

My issue came and went too. I'd leave it alone unless it comes back. Maybe something to check on your next spark plug replacement.