NORMAL OR NOT ?

jcd1965

Hello,I'm new to forum.I have a new 2013 fz8 w/ 1000k on it and I'm hearing some noise from engine.Rattle in clutch and a knocking or thumping noise in neutral.The clutch rattle disappears w/ clutch lever is applied and knocking/thumping becomes less noticeable.Oh and it go's who who who like a owl at steady speeds(5k plus rpms). Other noticeable defects (or not) is engine vibrates at or about 3.5k rpm's,also seems under powered in traffic(low rpms,1st and 2nd gear).Animal above 7k rpms.
I'd like to hear members feedback and possible mod's to remedy the above issues.

Last edited:

amirmactavish

I had the same issue with the clutch rattle. I did some mods to the hub and now theres no more rattling noise. So far so good. The engine is abit rough though, thats normal for a yamaha.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

HeresMyMind

I had the same issue with the clutch rattle. I did some mods to the hub and now theres no more rattling noise. So far so good. The engine is abit rough though, thats normal for a yamaha.

what mods to the hub did you do?

-B

amirmactavish

Mine is a '12 fz8 and ive heard that there was a some sort of a design defect. Theres isnt sufficient oil sprayed between the clutches. I found out when i took out my clutch assembly, it was dry and it sticks. And there are some plates were burnt out. I added a number of holes in between the grooves around the clutch hub to allow more distribution of the oil between the plates.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1442535215631.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1442535215631.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 53

amirmactavish

If u have noticed there has been a change on the part number for the clutch assy in the catalogue. 39P-16370-00-00 to 39P-16370-01-00

Gem rod

Mine is a '12 fz8 and ive heard that there was a some sort of a design defect. Theres isnt sufficient oil sprayed between the clutches. I found out when i took out my clutch assembly, it was dry and it sticks. And there are some plates were burnt out. I added a number of holes in between the grooves around the clutch hub to allow more distribution of the oil between the plates.

Could this be why there is such a crunch when engaging first gear by any chance?

IanLeMasters

This has me thinking. I get the rattle when disengaging the clutch. Only when I first fire it up. Now I think my guess was right, that the clutches weren't being lubed well enough. Im willing to bet some of my plates are stuck together also.

jcd1965

Dose anyone experience a nocking sound that changes when clutch is applied?It's a rotational nock not clunk from neutral to first.I took bike to dealer they said rattle was normal.And as far as knocking sound,they told me these bikes make a lot of engine noise.I will probably take bike to a different dealer for second opinion.Oh,and I installed a k&n air filter today.Idles higher and accelerates smother.Vance and Hines on the way.

Last edited:

Neil_CHSZ_FZ8

what mods have you done to the 'hub' ?
Same issues my side...

Neil_CHSZ_FZ8

Sorry for the late response.... "steel plates burnt" or "friction plates" ? , or combination ?
Think I'm going to follow your ,mod on this one. it's driving me nuts.
I did speak with my Yam' dealer and they said it's normal ..... for me it's a fob over, definitely feels like a dry or sticking clutch
Let you know when I strip it out next month. The winter is heading in now, so time to take a look at it.
Great image posted
What is your oil spec ?