Newbie Questions....

lance2448

Hello!

I've been reading through this forum for a little while, because, obviously, I'm very much considering the FZ8 as my next bike.

I did have a few questions I didn't see anywhere yet.

First, my current bike is a somewhat modified 2003 SV650 naked:

If there's anyone that's had both bikes, how would they compare?

The intended purpose for the bike (urban commuting, and weekend rides) is 95% of my riding, it's rare I go on trips longer than a day. Sometimes though, I would do some mild off road with the SV....has anyone tried this with the FZ8?

Hopefully my dealer will have a demo bike, but I'm pretty tall (6'4" about 190 lbs), any other tall riders out there with this bike? Did you have to make any modifications for comfort?

Otherwise, I'm mostly concerned with the total cost of ownership. Specifically, with the exception of tires, I've done all my own maintenance and repairs for past bikes myself. Is this possible with the FZ8? I've done valve adjustments and such, so I'm fairly comfortable working on bikes/cars, but I know some require specialized tools, or are not feasible to attempt without training.

Also, what's this bike like with a passenger?

I guess that's kind of a weird introduction lol, but I'd like to get one of these in the next month or so.

Last edited:
F

Fazed

If there's anyone that's had both bikes, how would they compare?

No I have not owned both bikes.
The intended purpose for the bike (urban commuting, and weekend rides) is 95% of my riding, it's rare I go on trips longer than a day. Sometimes though, I would do some mild off road with the SV....has anyone tried this with the FZ8?

I use mine for commuting and the only complaint I have is the small tank, as I travel a fair distance to work and back. I get around 240kms before the low fuel warning displays. For me this means filling up every 2 days. I was spoilt by my previous bike having a 22 litre tank. This doesn't really affect weekend riding as you'll want a break by the 200km mark anyway.
By off road, I'm assuming gravel roads. Yes I have taken mine on gravel roads and seems to handle it ok.
Hopefully my dealer will have a demo bike, but I'm pretty tall (6'4" about 190 lbs), any other tall riders out there with this bike? Did you have to make any modifications for comfort?

I'm a fat short bloke, but I think it may be a little cramped for a tall rider. As far as seat comfort goes this would have to be the first bike where I don't want to change or modify the seat.

Otherwise, I'm mostly concerned with the total cost of ownership. Specifically, with the exception of tires, I've done all my own maintenance and repairs for past bikes myself. Is this possible with the FZ8? I've done valve adjustments and such, so I'm fairly comfortable working on bikes/cars, but I know some require specialized tools, or are not feasible to attempt without training.

Maintenance is much the same as any other bike. The thing I like is that the valve clearance checking intervals are 40 000kms apart :)

Unless you and your passenger weigh less than 90kgs combined then a stiffer spring for the rear shock is required. You can do it but your headlights will be blinding pilots flying over head. I will be upgrading the spring in my rear shock in the next few months and will post a how to in the how to section.

Hope this helps.

cpatt

I guess that's kind of a weird introduction lol, but I'd like to get one of these in the next month or so.

im 6' 2" 165 ish. and the bike seems to fit me nice. seats a little hard. but the set up feels good on my back. that was the selling point to me..

C

Camo

I'm 6' 4" and I feel comfortable.
I think the 8 has been built to commute and scratch on the weekends but as is the problem with most bikes on the cheaper end of the scale(and some at the other end), suspension is a "one size fits all" type deal with no adjustment available on the front and the rear is a boat anchor.
Some guys find it works well for them and others like myself find it lacking. If you can appreciate a bike that has been built on a budget, power accessible in all areas, very forgiving, reliable and pretty comfortable.... Then your best bet is to jump on one and see if it makes you smile. It's no super sports but the fun factor is definitely there!

I spent a few bucks on modification to get it the way i think it should have come outta the box but rear suspension could definitely use the likes of an Ohlins or Penske if you're of the bigger boned variety of rider such as myself :D

Can't give you a comparison between the two I'm afraid but I can say in the right hands it'll give a 600 sports a run in the tight stuff.
Good luck and be safe out there.

Oh, and that's a nice looking SV you got yourself there. May I ask why you aren't considering the SV1000?

Last edited:

lance2448

Thanks for all the info!

I'm actually aware of the lacking in suspension. Given that this will be my first new vehicle I've ever purchased, I doubt I'll be pushing it anywhere near it's limits while it still has the warranty.

After that, I'm not too worried about doing suspension upgrades if needed. On the SV I replaced the fork springs, and replaced the shock with one from a ZX10, so I'm familiar with budget suspension. ;)

Lol, by off road, I did mean dirt and gravel roads. Northern Arizona has some amazing places that you can only get to by getting off the main roads. But I don't make a habit of this.

Passenger wise, I was more referring to room, them complaining about almost falling off, vibrations etc. I would not go more than a few miles 2 up with the stock shock from the sounds of it anyway.

Thanks! But as for the SV1000, partly it's because I simply want something different, but also, I still fall in the "young and dumb' category, so 1000cc seems to be the magic number where insurance rates become ridiculous.

GarryM

My mate has an SV650 that I've ridden a few times. In stock form I hated it but he changed the fork springs and added some gold valves, put an Ohlins on the rear and changed the pipe. It transformed the bike. It's so much fun to ride on tight smooth roads. The narrow bars and low weight make it feel really chuckable compared to my FZ8 which feels like a bit of a barge in comparison.

On rougher roads I find the FZ8 to feel much more stable. His SV is a bit harsh and skips over bumps rather than absorbing them. Power wise the FZ blows the SV into the weeds. Both bikes put a smile on my face though.

I've ridden my FZ on dirt roads a few times and the compliant suspension and high wide bars make it much easier to ride on dirt than the sport bikes I've owned in the past.

W

WARPTH

im 77kg and find no issues what so ever with the suspension... the back is on the softer side but im sure i can find a sweet spot with the preload adjustment it has. seems to be that anyone over 90+kg that find a issue with the suspension.

master paper clip

im 77kg and find no issues what so ever with the suspension... the back is on the softer side but im sure i can find a sweet spot with the preload adjustment it has. seems to be that anyone over 90+kg that find a issue with the suspension.

Yea I adjusted my preload about 2 positive clicks and bike is so much better now

Trooper

The biggest problem with the stock suspension is not necessarily the spring rate, but the total lack of rebound dampening. I weigh 220 and I am able to get within normal sag numbers ( both loaded and static) with the stock spring.

I will be adding an aftermarket shock in the near future, as I am fortunate enough to work for a suspension manufacturer. I should have it done in a week or so.

FZER

Avid Rider
The biggest problem with the stock suspension is not necessarily the spring rate, but the total lack of rebound dampening. I weigh 220 and I am able to get within normal sag numbers ( both loaded and static) with the stock spring.

I will be adding an aftermarket shock in the near future, as I am fortunate enough to work for a suspension manufacturer. I should have it done in a week or so.

Couldn't agree more. Hard bumps will scare you with the lack of rebound. I bought an Air Hawk removable seat cushion to help with the longer commutes. 1hr or more. Mostly, though you can ride in pretty good comfort. An aftermarket windscreen isn't a bad addition I have the GIVI. 6' 1" here 205lbs. I'm down 20 pounds since the first of the year!!!

Couple pics of my bike if you like.
http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-mods/1507-my-electronics-touring-set-up.html

lance2448

Cool, I will likely get a windscreen of some kind eventually, but otherwise, this sounds like the bike I'm looking for....now I just have to sell the SV.....

FZER

Avid Rider
You'll love the top end power rush you get out of this bike compared to the SV. Only thing you might not be happy with is the gap in linear power through the rpm range, but that is solved by running in a lower gear and changing the front spocket to a smaller tooth will help you get out of that rpm range quicker.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Welcome!
I sold my 2004 SV650 naked in late June to buy the FZ8. One thing that bugged me about the SV was the harsh engine braking and the abrupt throttle off idle. I know there was a fix for the abrupt throttle, but I never got around to trying it. I'm short and heavy, so the ergos are going to be different for you and me. I like the shorter reach to the bars on the FZ8. I like the smooth power delivery. I like the better stock handling and suspension. Even as heavy as I am I haven't had any issues with the stock seat. In short, I have no regrets about switching to the FZ8 at all. I even find it to be torquier than the SV.

lechi542FZ8

I concur with all the above statements. I put over 25,000 miles on an SV650 before I got the FZ8. The SV was a great bike for what it is, but the FZ is definitely an upgrade in almost every aspect. The thing I miss most about the SV is how easy it was to stunt and the tremendous mid-range power band. The FZ8 takes a bit more work to get off the ground, but has lightning quick top end acceleration.

compensation

The off road you might want to look at a lower fairing for it. The pinging will drive you nuts even with a helmet on. Black widow has a seat you might want to look into. The fz8 wafer might be a little more uncomfortable then what yours looks like. That cracks me up about blinding pilots overhead. I am 6foot tall and vary heavy so lo beams work for me. They make a nice aftermarket rear handle set for your passenger. Be advised that wide butts are not compatible. I rode with a buddy that had a sv, i think he sucked at trying to pop a wheelie. But the fz can hold it up there. They are front heavy feeling i guess is the best way to put it. Passed my coworker tonight and done a beautiful 1/8th mile wheelie. Great bike to keep miles off your car with.

lance2448

Haha, I don't know if I'll really be taking it off road any time soon, but good to know....that's actually the reason I have the belly pan (or whatever you want to call it) on the SV...less noise and is much easier to clean than the stuff burnt onto the exhaust.

As for the seat....well, I made that myself. It took probably half a day in the garage to get it just right...and lots of wasted foam lol....but beats the stock seat by a lot. If I have to do the same for this bike it's not a big deal, but hopefully there will be an aftermarket one that works, as I have a feeling anything I attempt will look ugly on the FZ....

lance2448

Well, the SV sold in under a day lol, so now I have a new toy :D

I know, not great pictures...but for now it just looks like every other stock 2012

Glovik

Congrats! I'm excited for you to get it all broke in so you can really push it and gives us your comparison between the two bikes. First thoughts?