Newb

MotoZen

I have watches a few of my friends go down...my life is worth more to me than what is just on sale..granted.you can get some good stuff..

I lowsided in the rain last spring at about 40 mph and came out just fine as well. My pants had a couple of scuffs and gloves were a bit torn up in the impact area, but I was otherwise unharmed.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

lance2448

OP, if you can find one, a SV650 might be great for you. Still has a decent amount of torque, but is very friendly for new riders. Plus, as long as you don't break it in half or something, you can sell it in a few months, or years, for about the same you bought if for. Probably more if you get a good deal and take care of it.

A FZ8 is really not a hard bike to ride, but, it assumes you know what you're doing. Street riding and dirt riding are certainly different. Not everything translates over.

jdubincali

I was in a similar situation as you about 6 months ago. I looked at used and new from 250 cc to 800cc bikes after taking the motorcycle course. After debating all the pros and cons for all choices, I decided with the 2013 FZ8 with no regrets. The FZ8 is fairly easy to ride--if you are careful and start slow, you will grow into this bike, or any other bike for that matter. The throttle response is forgiving at low rpm...it's when you hit 6k RPM is when the bike really opens up. You have to be very careful however, as I almost dropped the bike once--I was on a sloppy parking structure backing out and hit the brakes too hard, causing a sudden stop. It took every ounce of my strength to keep the bike up, but I digress.

Your first priority is to stay within your budget. Keep in mind you will want to add mods and there will be maintenance, insurance, gear, and taxes. Then you want to do a serious and honest self evaluation on yourself. Once you figure out what your strengths and weaknesses, you can then better narrow your choices.

You can be really confident on whatever you purchase because you will buy a bike within your budget and potential abilities.

As for me, I knew that the beginner bikes were too small and weak in the long run. I knew that I wanted to buy this bike, take really care of it, and put on as many miles she will allow--my first bike is to be with me for the long haul. And the FZ8 gives the rider best of all worlds: comfort, power, style, handling, at a reasonable price. After my own research, I realized that I don't need a bike that can do a few things great. I wanted a bike that did everything well.

I hope this helps.

Woody146

Banned
I lowsided in the rain last spring at about 40 mph and came out just fine as well. My pants had a couple of scuffs and gloves were a bit torn up in the impact area, but I was otherwise unharmed.

Yea...I watched a sv650 take a silverado head on at 50 and a gsxr get hit by an f250 at around 70 on freeway...that's a little different then falling in the rain...just saying...and what I have watched happen...happens more than wanted around here.

MotoZen

Yea...I watched a sv650 take a silverado head on at 50 and a gsxr get hit by an f250 at around 70 on freeway...that's a little different then falling in the rain...just saying...and what I have watched happen...happens more than wanted around here.

Your comparison is between top of the line gear and no gear at all. You have no way of knowing whether entry level or mid level gear would have changed either of their situations. IMO, if it's a choice between top of the line gear or no gear, or being able to ride or not ride, I don't feel that the extra cost provides enough added safety to warrant the cost. I'm basing my opinion on talking to a lot of people and reading a ton of reviews.

Even the instructors at my safety course told the same thing. Even most of the people that sell the gear have told me that the expensive stuff is nice if you can afford it, but isn't necessary for your average rider.

I have a really expensive pair of Dianese gloves. They are easily the most comfortable gloves I've ever owned, but I don't feel they are much safer than gloves that cost me as much in the past.

This is just my opinion and my experience. To each their own.

Last edited:

MotoZen

Another thing to consider when looking at gear is how it fits you. I've found that manufacturers tend to fit differently. I recently went to a store to try on gloves and found that most of the manufacturers fit me a little funny. Some had fingers that were a little long, some too short. If your gear isn't comfortable, you aren't going to want to wear it.

npeifer2308

I have watches a few of my friends go down...my life is worth more to me than what is just on sale..granted.you can get some good stuff..

No, I defiantly agree with you. No ones life should have a price limit but I also find nothing wrong with buying last years lineup for gear and saving some money. Same quality and function, just a little cheaper.

Kind of ironic but I actually got a 10% discount code emailed to me from motorcycle-superstore.com today. Here is the code if anyone is looking to buy some new gear. It is only good on sale/clearance items. Code: ZGoLow

Woody146

Banned
It's all food for thought guys...there are ways around "buying" all this nice gear...I got it all thrown in with my bike...and I figure..if I have the nicest stuff...never a need to upgrade! And I'm safe! And my buddy on the sv was wearing an iicon helmet and a leather jacket you would wear to a bar...so he WAS wearing SOMETHING..just not enough In my opinion