New guy on the block

troublemaker

Well hello everyone,

I am a very new rider. This is my second month riding my new FZ8 2013. I did thought of getting a ninja 300 or the honda 500. But I figure I didnt want to get bored nor waste my money.

So I went for it and got the FZ8. However I did take the MSF course and everything was easy from there. I try to soak up as much info on the bike and feedback from youtube and the forums before i joined here.

All has been so much help from tire pressure to F trip meter. But I have to say its all been great since everything is so new to me.

Its a piece of mind I have a forum to come to bounce ideas from experince riders and new riders like me. I am in the LA county SFV so anyone in my area that is new or looking to get the bike or experice riders. Be great to meet up and ride and learn.

FZ8Ryder

Welcome to the forum troublemaker. Glad to hear you have been doing well with starting off on this bike. Everyone hear is very knowledgeable and helpful. I'm not too far of a ride away ;) . Ride safe and hope you enjoy the bike.

DSmith

Congrats on the bike and welcome! Alot of smart, friendly guys on here.

The 8 was my first bike as well. I didnt wanna purchase something id outgrow quickly also. Ride your own ride and remember what you learned in the course and youll have a blast!

OdinSon

Never get comfortable. Never ride outside your limits. It's not how fast you can ride but how well you ride. I started this year on the FZ6 and there were a few times it could have really ended badly for me. So just take your time learning and only push it a little at time. Don't be impatient and don't get cocky. Also ATGATT (all the gear all the time - if you didn't already know that). After 4,000 miles I hit a patch of gravely going into a turn. Overcast day, fine gravel nearly the same color as the pavement. Nothing I could have done to avoid. Even only going maybe 30 mph the bike tore through my leather boots (only bad bruising and a tiny cut) and tore through my jeans to the bone on my knee (5 stitches) but also got a type 3 ac separation of the shoulder which still sucks a little bit. I had zero rash on my body otherwise. Seriously not a scratch on my upper body because I had good gloves, good jacket, and a helmet. The side of my face/head did skip against the payment. Barely felt it but without the helmet it would have been much worse.

Those are some of the things I've learned and always keep in mind when I ride now. I can't believe I ever squided it. I'm very grateful I didn't go down one of those times.

pigdog

im 350 or so miles north of you in sf bay area. welcome & as my mother once said as i was about to ride off, dont forget your seat belt!