Motorcycle Riding Sign Language

jdubincali

It's been a few months since I posted a thread so I'm glad to read all the FZ riders still active. I bought this bike 2013 of August as a complete noob with no riding experience whatsoever. Since my post I've
  • Put 10K miles on it
  • Went through a few oil changes
  • Changed the rear flat tire
  • Installed Yoshi FE kit
  • Installed CRG Arrow bar mirrors
  • Got married

Anyways, as I'm riding more often there's a few things I've seen from other riders during my daily commute I'd like to ask about. Mainly the body langauge...can anyone explain to me the following scenarios and the meaning.
1) I moved over for another rider to pass during rush hour traffic; before that there was CHP cruiser that we passed within the speed limit. I got the typical "peace" sign as he passed, but he added a tap of the of helmet. I was thinking he saying "way to be heads up" but I don't know.

2) During the same ride, the traffic starting getting unusually bad. Upon reaching the congestion, there was a flipped truck on the other side of the freeway. The same rider point up as we approached the scene of the accident. I'm think he was saying "look up" but I don't know.

Are my assumptions correct? Is there a universal sign language I need to know about?

IanLeMasters

Tap on the lid is def "cops look out" point up is single file. So he may have been saying you're going to have to merge single file with traffic.

Last edited: