Mirrors - Barends vs Extensions

va_bank

Hi All,

Almost finished with the process of modding. Last piece is the mirrors - stock ones are not working for me, all I see is my shoulders and can't adjust them in a way that lets me see behind me or the closest parts of the lanes next to me.

I ordered a few things. Two different sets of bar-ends and 2 inch extensions for the stock mirrors. I like the look of bar-ends, but concerned about reducing my lane-splitting capability. What I want to hear is your experience. Normally I would just try all three for a while and see what works best, but the timeframe allowed by return policy is obviously limited.

So what works best for you?

[not looking to argue about looks, that's obviously subjective. And yes, I know lane splitting is illegal and I shouldn't do it:) ]

eru000

Hi All,

Almost finished with the process of modding. Last piece is the mirrors - stock ones are not working for me, all I see is my shoulders and can't adjust them in a way that lets me see behind me or the closest parts of the lanes next to me.

I ordered a few things. Two different sets of bar-ends and 2 inch extensions for the stock mirrors. I like the look of bar-ends, but concerned about reducing my lane-splitting capability. What I want to hear is your experience. Normally I would just try all three for a while and see what works best, but the timeframe allowed by return policy is obviously limited.

So what works best for you?

[not looking to argue about looks, that's obviously subjective. And yes, I know lane splitting is illegal and I shouldn't do it:) ]

I run bar-end mirrors and lane split every day to work, often in tight NYC roads (see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTXHWS57RuA).

I have no problems. If I feel it's gonna be tight (with the mirrors out I'm exactly 3ft wide), I just flip them in. I flip them in and out probably a dozen times a day. It can get a little annoying, but it's worth it for the better visibility and looks.

va_bank

I run bar-end mirrors and lane split every day to work, often in tight NYC roads (see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTXHWS57RuA).

I have no problems. If I feel it's gonna be tight (with the mirrors out I'm exactly 3ft wide), I just flip them in. I flip them in and out probably a dozen times a day. It can get a little annoying, but it's worth it for the better visibility and looks.

Thank you the video is helpful. I changed on of my orders to the foldable version, like yours. Do they stay put at high speed? (80+)

eru000

Thank you the video is helpful. I changed on of my orders to the foldable version, like yours. Do they stay put at high speed? (80+)

No problem. Check out the real-time version as well, if you want more detail. It's linked in the description.

And they're good up until 115mph, at which point they start to fold back due to the wind...

alexk

Weekend Rider
I have extensions, and love em. They keep the mirrors up, which means a mirror check takes a fraction of the time that a bar end mirror would take me.

Give em a try before committing to a bar end mirror. That way you can make a properly edumacated decision. =)