Metal Clanging Noise

mundan101

Hey all, I have a '13 fz8...Started the bike today and upon just checking everything over, I pulled the clutch in and i am hearing metal clanging noises....Seems something is loose...It only happens when i pull the clutch in on idle....When i let the clutch go, its fine. Everything else seems to be fine.

Any ideas? Bike has about 3,000 miles on it now.

Blackfin

Hey all, I have a '13 fz8...Started the bike today and upon just checking everything over, I pulled the clutch in and i am hearing metal clanging noises....Seems something is loose...It only happens when i pull the clutch in on idle....When i let the clutch go, its fine. Everything else seems to be fine.

Any ideas? Bike has about 3,000 miles on it now.

Any chance you can get a vid of the noise?

How's the oil level?

Any problems shifting? Does the clutch drag or slip?

Blackfin

Hmm. Might be worthwhile to invest in a mechanic's stethoscope to probe the exact location of the sound. If it's coming from right under the clutch cover you might want to take the clutch cover off and inspect the pull-rod and pull-rod bearing. You might need to remove the six (6) compression bolts and springs and the pressure plate to inspect the bearing properly...

The act of pulling in the clutch lever puts fairly significant axial loads on the transmission mainshaft bearings. There could also be an issue with that as well. The pull-rod and its bearing are fairly easy to get at. The mainshaft, I believe, requires the engine cases to be split to access it for servicing.

Before ripping into it I'd get the opinion of a motorcycle mechanic or dealer service guy who can listen to it in person.

mundan101

Hmm. Might be worthwhile to invest in a mechanic's stethoscope to probe the exact location of the sound. If it's coming from right under the clutch cover you might want to take the clutch cover off and inspect the pull-rod and pull-rod bearing. You might need to remove the six (6) compression bolts and springs and the pressure plate to inspect the bearing properly...

The act of pulling in the clutch lever puts fairly significant axial loads on the transmission mainshaft bearings. There could also be an issue with that as well. The pull-rod and its bearing are fairly easy to get at. The mainshaft, I believe, requires the engine cases to be split to access it for servicing.

Before ripping into it I'd get the opinion of a motorcycle mechanic or dealer service guy who can listen to it in person.

THanks for the advice! Will check it out. Weather has been to cold to ride..I am hopefully this isn't a major expense.

bikee4

I have a 2013 as well with 5500 miles on it and that noise is something I've heard many times especially after the bike sits on it's side stand for awhile. Kinda seems like a Yamaha trait because I have other Yamaha bikes that do the same thing. I think it's a well known thing just search this site and the web and you'll see It's nothing to worry about.

The noise sounds like the clutch throw out bearing. If your bike is still under warranty I would take it in and at least get it documented. I would also get the extended warranty. Make sure it's a "Yamaha service contract" and not a 2nd party garbage one.

mundan101

The noise sounds like the clutch throw out bearing. If your bike is still under warranty I would take it in and at least get it documented. I would also get the extended warranty. Make sure it's a "Yamaha service contract" and not a 2nd party garbage one.

My manufacturer warranty is over :/ and I decided not to renew....Is this potentially something big? I guess I just need to get it checked out.

Funny how I don't hear it after a good ride....

Didn't winterize the bike as I am still taking it out ever week or so for short trips.