Luggage options

Speedo007

Yeah just placed the order here: http://www.aviciouscycle.ca they checked and could have the model for the FZ8 here on time for my trip to the cabot trail. 338$ CDN, including Puro shipping, tx and all. Just hope my LED blinkers and tail tidy wont be an issue though if anything I think it should fit better:

And I have this Kriega as a tail bag, fits perfectly on the FZ8 back seat, and its 100% waterproof (like a kayak bag). I leave it on the bike all the time now, great for when you have something to pick up. Stopped at the groceries yesterday and got 4 steaks, carrots, mushrooms, an onion, a green pepper and it all fit easily in there and when it's empty you tighten the straps and it just fades in with the bike.

Sorry for the crappy snapshots of the Kriega bag, was too lazy to take out the good camera and choose a proper location/light.

Just wanted to demonstrate how practical this little bag is. As you can see the end rolls like a kayak bag and a clip keeps it shut, you could basically throw this bag in a lake and it would keep your stuff dry. There's a waterproof zipper on the top (on Kriega picture you can see it on this side) to access the top compartment where you can store your wallet, cellphone and what not so it's always easily accessible. It's extremely well built, it has probably 10000km on it, and no indication of wear other then being dirty :p I fasten the Kriega bag to the 4 loops under the passenger seat, just fits perfectly.

Last edited:

hypo

your setup should work perfectly with that. you won't be smacking your turn signals with it, and from what I saw, the over-saddle and rear peg connections with the bars that hold the bags out will work awesome for you.

Speedo007

Also, I HIGHLY recommend this backpack. These bags aren't always the cheapest, but you really get what you pay for. Considering the quality the prices are very low. I can ride with this all day long and barely feel it. Great when you want to bring along spare clothing and stuff like that that doesnt weigh too much. Cause even the best backpack if you fill it with bricks, at the end of the day you might feel tired...that backpack is not fully waterproof like the US10-Drybag, but you can buy an option drybag from Kriega to put it in the backpack, or you can just buy any cheap kayak drybag and there you go. A nice feature is that in the front theres pockets where you can put your wallet and cell phone, makes it accessible quickly when you need to pay for gas for example.

R35 - Kriega

You can even combined the small bag I have with the backpack.

Last edited:

ARFZ8

I just ordered one of those Kriega tailbags. Looks like the perfect thing to carry my work clothes in when I ride.

Speedo007

Ok so I just received these:
TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System Yamaha FZ1, '06-'11, FZ8, '10-'11 - HTA.06.740.10300

First impressions are, they are VERY well made, they even include some adhesive 3M protection to stick on the tail part to protect the paint. They appear smaller then expected though. I think with both luggage (fully extended) and my tail bag, I won't have much extra space for a week with my camera gear and all...

Will install and take pictures later today...

Speedo007

Ok so I just finished installing the luggage system. Isnt very complicated, the instructions are quite clear. But it does take around 45 minutes the first time to get it all figured out and installed. Once it is, they can be removed in about 10 seconds. My only concern is how close to the exhaust the bags are and they are still empty. They say maximum load of 5kg (about 12lbs) per side, that's not a lot. They supply a waterproof liner (like kayak bag) that you put inside, the opening is a bit small but should work fine.

Of course real hardcase Givis with permanent rack will always be the best option for someone thats touring a lot all year round, for the occasionnal trip, these should work great. Im leaving for the Cabot Trail next week, these will definetly be put to the test for 7-10 days and around 2400 km.

Will write a full review when I get back.
Are they worth 330$including tx and shipping? I think they are.

Oh and the adhesive plastic film they supply to protect the tail is a pain to install without ending up with air bubbles cause the tail shape is so irregular...doesnt look great when luggage is removed...I might just put those plastics on for when I know I'll be making long rides...otherwise I'll just make sure to put a few good coats of wax on the tail...

Last edited:

Speedo007

Update after 3400km trip to the Cabot Trail:

My main concern with the luggage was the heat from the exhaust. Well that hasnt been an issue at all, luggage barely got warm. The important is to tighten the straps on the seat enough so that the luggage is at it's highest position. I rode with both luggage extended, in sun and rain and had no issues, at all. Of course the luggage arent waterproof (like most luggage) that's why they give you waterproof linings to put in. The linings worked perfectly, no humidity at all got to my stuff, and even the inside of the luggage was just humid, no water made it inside (and it rained by the bucket for at least an hour on one day), so have no fear with the lining, your stuff is 100% safe.

Was easy to take off and put back on (less then 2 minutes including with the Kriega bags on top, just the side bags take about 15 seconds to remove). I'd say the only thing that could be improved on the bag is the size of the opening and maybe adding 3-4L capacity on each side would be cool too for 7 day trips. Other then that I'm very satisfied with them and highly recommend them.

hypo

HA! The wife ordered them for me, got them last night and installed the mounting hardware. love how fast and easy it is to take on and off. the bar over the tailpipe looks like it sticks out wider than the left side, but I'll look at it again in the daylight. Plus my bike is WAAYYYY too dirty for pictures right now.

liters to cubic inches: 14L = 854 Cubic Inches Liters (L, Litres) to Cubic Inches - How many in3 in a liter ?

converted 854 cubic inches to cubic feet and got .49 so about a half a cubic foot of space... which in very generalized terms to my spatial guesstimation is about 12 inches, by 12 inches by 6 inches if you don't expand it.... so thats comparable to some cruiser saddlebags or bigger.

Last edited:

Speedo007

Really you'll love them. Once expanded they're about 7.5" wide, they do offer decent storage even if for long trips a top case or bag is always welcome.

Speedo007

See the little black part on the passenger peg? That's all that's left when you remove the bags and quick release mount.

K-Gr.

I hate you guys living in US... :/

Those SW-Motech bags cost in Europe almost 140$ >>MORE<< then in US...