Luggage options for FZ8

Speedo007

Hey people, getting my FZ8 monday. At the dealer they offered me Givi luggage (the sidecases) but I'd like to find something that has a quickly removable bracket. SW Motech made something like this I think for the FZ1...

I'm also considering fabric luggages. I want the bike to look as stock as possible when I'm not travelling 2 up on it...

by motorbike or scooter - Yamaha - FZ 8 - SW-MOTECH & BAGS-CONNECTION

Here's the Givi setup, but trying to find a different rack.

belliezzz

lugage & boxes

I like to have a top box but hated the way it would look on my fazer 8 the tail is to short so the box looks to sit in the middle of nowhere.

My soulution was to bye a second pillion seat and bolt my top box bracket to it, then i have a rack or i can put my box on (i rarley have pillion) and by keeping the spare seat to hand with the turn of the key the top box is gone and the seat is standard, i use this method when travling. it dose make the leg swing to get on a little more effort but i have achived a good sysytem i think

cheeres belliezzz

hypo

we do a lot of travel, and I need some gear, but those GIVI setups are REALLY pricey... definitely gonna check out the others.

BDazzler

Hey people, getting my FZ8 monday. At the dealer they offered me Givi luggage (the sidecases) but I'd like to find something that has a quickly removable bracket. SW Motech made something like this I think for the FZ1...

I'm also considering fabric luggages. I want the bike to look as stock as possible when I'm not travelling 2 up on it...

by motorbike or scooter - Yamaha - FZ 8 - SW-MOTECH & BAGS-CONNECTION

Here's the Givi setup, but trying to find a different rack.

If you're looking for fabric luggage, I think you might like this set. I'm getting it for my FZ1 and the same set fits the FZ8. I love the ability to remove the bags quickly with virtually no trace of them, and they sure are cheaper than the hard sided counterparts.

Speedo007

If you're looking for fabric luggage, I think you might like this set. I'm getting it for my FZ1 and the same set fits the FZ8. I love the ability to remove the bags quickly with virtually no trace of them, and they sure are cheaper than the hard sided counterparts.

They do look nice. Not much info on the bags though...like capacity for example...Please order it quickly and post a review! :D

hypo

hmmmmmmm

liters to cubic inches: 14L = 854 Cubic Inches Liters (L, Litres) to Cubic Inches - How many in3 in a liter ?

however, that doesn't tell me a lot... so I converted 854 cubic inches to cubic feet and got .49 so about a half a cubic foot of space... which in very generalized terms to my spatial guesstimation is about 12 inches, by 12 inches by 6 inches if you don't expand it.... so thats comparable to some cruiser saddlebags or bigger.

hypo

the sport saddlebags seen here: Cortech :: Luggage :: Sport Saddlebags are 17L in capacity, which is a happy medium between the closed/expanded of the 14/21 from SW/motech... but it doesn't come with any hardware to keep it out of the breezeway over the rear wheel.... although I see some straps/tiedowns... definitely a less expensive option with comparable storage space.

(note our very angular tail section is not really a flat-and-easy-to-hold-something-against peice of the bike.)

and if you look at the GIVI PLXR366 (frame only) it costs over $220 plus the $40 kit that takes away the top kit... and THEN add on the various and sundry bags available out there, you're lookin at some clams... a whole bushel... I'm likin the SW-Motech Blaze Sport Saddlebag setup more and more.

Last edited:

sendtoharvey

cheaper version alternative

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-73707-Motogear-Motorcycle/dp/B000RN4FK6/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_b]Amazon.com: Motogear Motorcycle Saddle Bags: Automotive[/ame]

this is what i rock...got it for 40$ on amazon lightning deal...not perfect. but i'm budget, so that's what's happening..

hypo

they flap in the wind if empty? is there tie down in the front by the peg or does it go under the wheel well? trying to see how its secured...

sendtoharvey

they flap in the wind if empty? is there tie down in the front by the peg or does it go under the wheel well? trying to see how its secured...

they actually are better when there's minimal/light stuff in them..they sag when they're heavy...
i dont have any blinkers..so i make an 'x' pattern with the clips provided down to the rear passenger pegs..then 2 velcro straps over the top..

no flapping..works great

deez nuts

passenger with saddlebags

I have been checking out these sw motech bags and courious how they do with a passengers. Are they comforable to sit on? Do they move around with weigh is applied over the seat? And does the passenger have enough space?

For the most part, these are the only questions holding me back others than drilling holes in my bike to install givi's. That's something that I am looking to as well. If there is any advice on givi set-ups, please shoot me a responce.

Thanks!

FZ8canuk

I have the Blaze bags on my FZ8 and I love them!
It has the best anchoring system out there for soft bags they absolutely do not move empty or full and easy to remove and re-install ,I am trying to find a set for my wife's FZ6R.
Although they are a bit on the small side they work well for everyday rides and I am sure you could get enough in them for a weekend trip I would recommend them to anyone.

Last edited:

bobbyb

The 8 isn't the best for luggage and touring but.. I rode 10 hrs with minimal luggage because I had a place to stay and it was a warm summer week.
ogio bags.

charris247

I have the SW-Motech Alu Rack with the Coocase V37 Wizard (all purchased through Twisted Throttle). I don't think any luggage looks that great on a naked 8 but when I need to pack more than I can fit in a backpack it's great. I like the look of the bags connection saddlebags picture in one of the posts above but the top case works better for helmet/grocery/trip accessory storage. It's also quick on/off which is convenient.