looking for a brighter than stock headlight

RoadKill

as the title says i'd like to get a headlight that is brighter than stock without doing a mod. what are my options if any?

dtbrown

as the title says i'd like to get a headlight that is brighter than stock without doing a mod. what are my options if any?

I suggest to adjust the headlight first. From the dealer they may not be adjusted. When I got mine the beam was aimed so high that I could hardly see the road. Once I lowered the beam it was much better. I then went to a hid to get increased visibility. Going to do projector mod soon to get even better visibility.

If the beam is adjusted only stock suggestion would be silverstar or piaa but they can run very hot so be careful

Good luck.

alexk

Weekend Rider
First up, make sure your headlight is aimed right. Mine was rediculously high from the factory.

There are a handful of lights that are slightly brighter at the same wattage, but DO NOT buy an over-wattage bulb. They're not street legal and you risk melting the housing, wiring harness, or something else you'd rather not replace.

Flosser Ultra White Halogen Headlight Bulb-H4, 60/55W - $22 from ridesafer.com
  • I had this on my last bike and liked it very much, but wish it didn't have the blue tint on part of the bulb. I opted not to put it into the Yamaha, but may yet. It was indeed slightly brighter than the standard 60/55 it replaced.

Philips 9003 XPS2 X-treme Power Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2 - [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9003-X-treme-Power-Headlight/dp/B00480FIMI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1365559210&sr=1-1&keywords=Philips+H4+X-treme+Power+Headlight+Bulb"]$30 from amazon.com[/ame]
  • I honestly can't tell the difference on my car between this and the BMW-provided bulbs, but in theory they're the brightest halogens they make.

I've heard OSRAM Nightbreakers are good, but have no experience with them. They're in the $50/pair range on Amazon, and have more tinting than the flosser above.

Whatever you choose, make sure there's little to no tint - increasing color temperature by tinting simply blocks other visible light to change the color towards blue. It actually reduces how well you can see.

naked_1_FZ8

I have used piaa extreme white bulb specific for motorcycles on my fz8 since new 2011 and have never had issues of being too hot or damaging anything. I was worried about damage from a hotter bulb but the piaa I use seems to be fine. Picked it up at Napa for $49 can. Dollars. The bulb is specific for motorcycles to withstand vibration.

alexk

Weekend Rider
The PIAA Extreme White is a heavily tinted bulb. That tint blocks a lot of the visible light produced by its filament. The idea (pure marketing) is that the bluer (called whiter) light is perceived as brighter/better.

"Pure White" and "Cool White" may look better to the naked eye, but you actually see less than with an untinted bulb.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I know OP wasn't looking to mod, but i feel an HID retrofit, if legal in your area, is the BEST headlight solution you could ever do.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
I know OP wasn't looking to mod, but i feel an HID retrofit, if legal in your area, is the BEST headlight solution you could ever do.

I agree, I think the "special" bulbs may do a little, but without something to project the beam properly, it is just like throwing a pnp HID kit into a halogen housing, it just doesn't work right. Projector retrofitting can be very affordable with limited options, and can also look quite OEM.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
i didnt want to say it, but the other temperature lights didnt do a ton for me on any of my other bikes... I opted for the projection retrofit. Your FZ8 headlight is one of the most desirable headlights out right now, so you can't go wrong either way.

And as far as "cooler" lights, just because they are cooler on the kelvin scale, doesnt mean it is brighter visable light. It's generally only perceived as brighter. I would go with whatever color floats your boat, you are still going to get the shadow puppet version of optimus prime's face on the road in front of you. Check out some of the retrofit threads and look at the projectors. fricken nuts bright, and clear. sorry, I know you specifically asked about not retrofitting.... just dont spend too much on the bulb!

Jacek3743

i didnt want to say it, but the other temperature lights didnt do a ton for me on any of my other bikes... I opted for the projection retrofit. Your FZ8 headlight is one of the most desirable headlights out right now, so you can't go wrong either way.

And as far as "cooler" lights, just because they are cooler on the kelvin scale, doesnt mean it is brighter visable light. It's generally only perceived as brighter. I would go with whatever color floats your boat, you are still going to get the shadow puppet version of optimus prime's face on the road in front of you. Check out some of the retrofit threads and look at the projectors. fricken nuts bright, and clear. sorry, I know you specifically asked about not retrofitting.... just dont spend too much on the bulb!

When I saw that face I was like holy hell! lol, thought I was the only one that did

RoadKill

lol "shadow puppet optimus prime"! I am having a hard time spotting pot holes soon enough at night here in NYC. They have already cost me 550.00 in wheel repair and i don't want to do that again.

I may have to go for an HID kit after all. this one is for the FZ8 what do you guys think?

SPORTBIKE LITES YAMAHA SINGLE HI/LOW HID CONVERSION KIT

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I'm sure rabbitman wanted to comment that, this is COMPLETELY The wrong way to do this.

All HID "kits" need a projector housing, no if ands or buts. using a HID kit without a projector lens to focus and cut off the beam CREATES a HUGE potential hazard for oncoming drivers, and yourself via the GLARE that is bounced in all directions from the exponentially brighter bulb. Yes you can buy cutoff shields and D2R bulbs, but In order to truly harness the output of an HID bulb, you should run a projector housing. To do this you'll need to open the headlight and fit a projector in there. I'm not making money for Rabbitman, but he offers services at a VERY affordable price.

You'll also want to caution on the side of error by using a HID Harness as well that draws power directly from the battery instead of the OEM wiring since the ballast draw can be quite powerful. I think the risk is potentially burning up, melting or catching on fire the OEM harness. A relay harness will make the original power source (oem wire harness) into the "on/off switch" for a secondary power source which features larger cabling directly to the battery.

Last edited:

MikeC

Weekend Rider
If you don't want to pay for services and have the wherewithall to DIY, you can find better stuff from the retrofit source, consider this one: Sportbike Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

The fact that the lowest temp bulb that sportbikelites offers is 6000k makes me concerned because the BRIGHTEST output in lumens happens around 4300k (which is OEM YELLOW).

Anyone interested in HIDs should read this thread, and be forever changed: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?1232-HID-Newb-Crash-Course

Last edited:

RoadKill

I'm sure rabbitman wanted to comment that, this is COMPLETELY The wrong way to do this.

All HID "kits" need a projector housing, no if ands or buts. using a HID kit without a projector lens to focus and cut off the beam CREATES a HUGE potential hazard for oncoming drivers, and yourself via the GLARE that is bounced in all directions from the exponentially brighter bulb. Yes you can buy cutoff shields and D2R bulbs, but In order to truly harness the output of an HID bulb, you should run a projector housing. To do this you'll need to open the headlight and fit a projector in there. I'm not making money for Rabbitman, but he offers services at a VERY affordable price.

You'll also want to caution on the side of error by using a HID Harness as well that draws power directly from the battery instead of the OEM wiring since the ballast draw can be quite powerful. I think the risk is potentially burning up, melting or catching on fire the OEM harness. A relay harness will make the original power source (oem wire harness) into the "on/off switch" for a secondary power source which features larger cabling directly to the battery.

damn... well sending it off is out of the question i ride every day. unless it's snowing. thanks for the info on needing a projector. seeing all the expense and work needed for the HID kit i think i will try the bulbs first.
I didn't realize the power requirements were so big.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
damn... well sending it off is out of the question i ride every day. unless it's snowing. thanks for the info on needing a projector. seeing all the expense and work needed for the HID kit i think i will try the bulbs first.

Two words, Donor headlight. I think what Michael was getting at was the cheap HID kits use a different type of harness where it pulls more current through your OEM wires. I have never done this as I don't see HID bulbs in halogen headlights a viable option. The projector kits that I use incorporate a relay harness that uses heavier gauge wire to be able to handle the load of the HID system. Adding the projector uses hardly any power, as the bi-xenon cutoff door is operated by a solenoid that takes next to nothing to activate. Basic retrofits (no paint or extras) are really quick to get done, so turn around time is quick. Usually one day.

charris247

I went with the BKMoto HID kit and couldn't be happier. It was simple and it can be done in a few hours (after work) and ready to commute the next day. Nice to hear there are other FZ8 riders in the Tri State area.

alexk

Weekend Rider
The Optimus Prime head as seen on my bike:

Good on ya for doing the reading into the various HID kits. So many people mess that up.

I'm using the stock bulb still, and do a LOT of commuting at night - now that I aimed it properly (the cutoff line is license plate height at a 3 second following distance at highway speeds), I can see just fine. Technically it's set too high still, but it won't blind anyone unless I tailgate.

I've done a lot of reading on the topic of HID retrofits, and the only two options I can recommend are:

Rabbitman's retrofit service if you'd like someone else to deal with opening the headlight assembly. You'll still need to deal with mounting the ballast, etc.

BKMoto if you're fine with doing the work yourself.

Both are excellent quality kits, and it comes down to your comfort levels with disassembly and reassembly.

Me? I'm going to stick with stock for a while, but may yet swap out to a BKMoto.