190-200 degrees f. I took pictures of the tank and hose after a ride
Noticed the reservoir to be way over the full line. I dont know if it's just
Because it is way too overfilled or because the coolant expanded
Due to it getting hot. Please if you have any idea on what this could
Be please let me know. Bike only has 4000miles and have rarely
Gone over 8k on the tech. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

DSmith

Looks to me that your coolants overfilled. I don't think it's supposed to be filled over the full line for expansion purposes like you said. That's my :2cents: Was the bike cool when you took the picture?

Gusm91

Looks to me that your coolants overfilled. I don't think it's supposed to be filled over the full line for expansion purposes like you said. That's my :2cents: Was the bike cool when you took the picture?

No, im sure the bike was still hot as it was only sitting for less than 5 minutes in 70 degree weather.

9 Lives

Its coming out of the overflow hose on top the expansion tank that exits down by the kickstand, its leaking out the overflow hose because the tank is too full, drain it down to the full mark and your problem will go away.

Gusm91

Its coming out of the overflow hose on top the expansion tank that exits down by the kickstand, its leaking out the overflow hose because the tank is too full, drain it down to the full mark and your problem will go away.

is it easy to drain?

MrJesseHLee

Just leave it. after all excessive coolant over flows it you will be ok. Thats what that overflow hose is for. It only overflows when its hot because coolant expands as it gets hot.

Gusm91

It won't hurt or damage my bike in any way? It's been doing it for 500 miles if not mire just want to have a peace of mind

MrJesseHLee

It won't hurt or damage my bike in any way? It's been doing it for 500 miles if not mire just want to have a peace of mind

Looks like your overflow hose is doing exactly what its design to do. It's not a "leak" as such. and it will keep spitting out the excess coolant until it is just under -Full mark on the reserve tank.

Did or has someone filled the coolant recently? if so, I'm 99% sure its doing what it's suppose to.

If you want to be absolutely sure, Get the bike up right on center stand, check the radiator tank by opening the cap & make sure coolant is filled to top and check the level of reserve tank make sure its filled up to -Full mark. **Do it when its cold.**

Observe the level over a week or so, If the level decreases you can start worrying about the cooling system then ;)

MrJesseHLee

OMG!
I just saw your pictures now and yup! you have too much coolant.
the bike will keep on spitting out coolant until it will reach -Full mark.

or you can drain them which will need a bit of fiddle.

Take the panel out using Philips screw under the seat on right hand side.
unscrew the reserve tank. tip the water out.

There's very limited space to get your hand in to.

Or use squzzy pump handle thingy from empty cleaning product.

I'd just leave it.

Last edited:

Gusm91

Looks like your overflow hose is doing exactly what its design to do. It's not a "leak" as such. and it will keep spitting out the excess coolant until it is just under -Full mark on the reserve tank.

Did or has someone filled the coolant recently? if so, I'm 99% sure its doing what it's suppose to.

If you want to be absolutely sure, Get the bike up right on center stand, check the radiator tank by opening the cap & make sure coolant is filled to top and check the level of reserve tank make sure its filled up to -Full mark. **Do it when its cold.**

Observe the level over a week or so, If the level decreases you can start worrying about the cooling system then ;)

Sorry for sounding like such a noob, but if my coolant is leaking, shouldn't it be decreasing? I just checked my reserve tank and its passed the full mark.(while cold) So, you're saying if the coolant inside the radiator itself goes low THEN I have a problem right?

MrJesseHLee

Sorry for sounding like such a noob, but if my coolant is leaking, shouldn't it be decreasing? I just checked my reserve tank and its passed the full mark.(while cold) So, you're saying if the coolant inside the radiator itself goes low THEN I have a problem right?

Yes If the coolant inside the radiator goes down it will be an issue.
but when it goes down it should suck the coolant from the reserve tank back into the radiator, thats what reserve tank is there for. Open the radiator cap when its cold and check its filled up to the top. If it is, you should be sweet.

like I said Id leave the overflowing hose and let it do its job ;)

9 Lives

A turkey baster will work to remove the excess coolant, or like others have said just leave it, it will stop dripping out the hose when it has expelled the extra coolant. Nothing to worry about.

Alex1985

I Just fill My Reserve Tank too Full Mark (Bike was Cold) bevor the Coolant was nearly at Min. I have no issue with my Bike the Coolant and so on.

lance2448

Same thing happened for me, if there's too much coolant, it will eventually expand and drip out. Annoying perhaps, but not really going to cause any harm.