Kreiga us tail packs

funnelli

Any of you guys fitted these using the subframe attachment method as shown on the website?
Just wondered as I would like one but the rear of the fz seems a little inaccessible to attach the straps? Cheers

decooney

Any of you guys fitted these using the subframe attachment method as shown on the website?
Just wondered as I would like one but the rear of the fz seems a little inaccessible to attach the straps? Cheers

Yes, I did, for a multi-day trip I did to MotoGP last summer. Rode my bike all up and down CA-1 on twists along the ocean and big crosswinds. No issues. The strap system just peeks out of the rear pillion pad. Works great. Easy to use. I may end up going with a different bike later this year for my longer trips, and might part with the Kreiga stuff since I'll have hard bags on my other bike. This expensive stuff was only used once too. I have the trio of Kriega 10,20 bags you see here, and the legendary RS25 "X" backpack too. Super high quality stuff. PM me if you need more info on how to mount it to your FZ8.

funnelli

Yes, I did, for a multi-day trip I did to MotoGP last summer. Rode my bike all up and down CA-1 on twists along the ocean and big crosswinds. No issues. The strap system just peeks out of the rear pillion pad. Works great. Easy to use. I may end up going with a different bike later this year for my longer trips, and might part with the Kreiga stuff since I'll have hard bags on my other bike. This expensive stuff was only used once too. I have the trio of Kriega 10,20 bags you see here, and the legendary RS25 "X" backpack too. Super high quality stuff. PM me if you need more info on how to mount it to your FZ8.

Thanks for that, was considering attaching the straps underneath the mounting points for my grab handles as I have a fazer.
By the way is the ca-1 the same as the pacific coast highway?
I have been lucky enough to drive the pch on holiday a couple of times and adore it!
Went to laguna seca MOTO GP to and couldn't believe how cold it was am!

eru000

I have a US-20 myself. I usually just attach it to the straps built into the rear seat. It seems strong enough. Anyone else do this? Should I be worried about the seat falling off? ;)

Woody146

Banned

If you part with it I want it..no shipping needed..nor cal also.

Woody146

Banned
Thanks for that, was considering attaching the straps underneath the mounting points for my grab handles as I have a fazer.
I have been lucky enough to drive the pch on holiday a couple of times and adore it!

Yes...1 is the same as the pch...up here we just call roads by their #'s..just a scenic though.

Haha yea man..Monterey gets cold..the nice part..if you do a 200 mile ride...you hit a lot of micro climates.

decooney

funnelli,
Yes, CA-1 is PCH, that's it. Yes, as I recall it was very cold that day for sure, especially coming down early 6am that morning across the Golden Gate blowing like hell with incoming super fog that day, hahah!. Picked about the worst cold fog time to ride down CA-1 starting from way up North down to Monterey last year. It was a blast though.

Had my cold gear on, Kriega backpack on and bags packed with clothes and overnight items for 3 full days. Once synched down using the subframe straps, they did not budget. The material used on the straps and hooks and clips is all high grade stuff. Only used it once for this trip.

Looks like this mounted and packed full. If you think the bags are nice, try the "X" brace backpack some time. Very nice too. I have the trio set.

This is stacked vertically. Then, you can clip bags to the sides of these too and sinch those down before you even have to add lower side bags.

Last edited:

decooney

Hi Woody,
I hope to be able to decide in a couple of weeks if I will be selling all of the gear with my bike or separately - IF I do decide to sell my FZ8. Got someone who really wants my bike in stock form at a lower price. But,I've got so much into it now with high $ quality mods, I'd sort of like to sell it all the with the bike. With the mods and accessories, it turned out so nice and it just rides, sounds, and performs so much nicer than stock just seems like it all belongs with the bike. The more I ride some of the newer Liter Sport Touring bikes, the more I seem to re-appreciate my FZ8 all over again and just might keep it. I might start doing longer trips, having trouble to decide so far. I will PM you if I end up selling the gear separately.

eru000

Are you guys cinching down to the straps built into the seat, or are you running Kreiga's straps to the subframe?

decooney

Are you guys cinching down to the straps built into the seat, or are you running Kreiga's straps to the subframe?

Yes, running the supplied Kreiga straps to the subframe underneath the seat.

I run them to all four corners of the seat with the seat off, then mount the seat in place, and they show sticking out about 3/4" each. They are mildly visible when no bag is place. It takes about 15 minutes to figure out where to tie them to underneath the seat to the subframe. The bags push down on the seat as the straps are locked in. You strap down the first bag to the first set of frame straps poking out under the seat. Then, stack and strap the second bag to the first bag using the supplied anchor clips affixed to the first bag. It's a nice setup if you don't want large hard bags and want to quickly unclip them and go at stops. I like the Kreiga bags because they don't have a bunch of dividers and pockets inside. It's open so you can cram in whatever you need. With a magnetic tank bag on the front tank, it's a surprising amount of space for a small footprint for a two day trip, etc.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I had the US20 as well, it's a great sexy pack!

I had the webbing strapped to the subframe which was pretty easy to get to. Just left enough to attach the clip straps.

The reason I sold mine was because I upgraded to a tail case, which is a much more permanent solution. I didn't like that it was floppy and soft when not full. And it was a little difficult to swing the leg around with a tail pack.

Ripemup

Haha, you beat me to it! I was going to see if it was time yet. The US-20 is actually back-ordered here in Canada until at least June 16th, and I am taking a trip June-14. Oh the irony!!

Ripemup

Hi Woody,
I hope to be able to decide in a couple of weeks if I will be selling all of the gear with my bike or separately - IF I do decide to sell my FZ8. Got someone who really wants my bike in stock form at a lower price. But,I've got so much into it now with high $ quality mods, I'd sort of like to sell it all the with the bike. With the mods and accessories, it turned out so nice and it just rides, sounds, and performs so much nicer than stock just seems like it all belongs with the bike. The more I ride some of the newer Liter Sport Touring bikes, the more I seem to re-appreciate my FZ8 all over again and just might keep it. I might start doing longer trips, having trouble to decide so far. I will PM you if I end up selling the gear separately.

That's interesting as I sold my litre sport-touring bike to buy my FZ8. I put over 30000 km's on my Sprint 1050 over the past 3 summers but the 8 is so much more fun for just about everything else. I am missing my hard cases right about now though... but that's about it.

decooney

That's interesting as I sold my litre sport-touring bike to buy my FZ8. I put over 30000 km's on my Sprint 1050 over the past 3 summers but the 8 is so much more fun for just about everything else. I am missing my hard cases right about now though... but that's about it.

Ripemup,

Thanks for this post. It is perfect timing for me to read this and think a bit more. Maybe it's a case of grass is greener wanting to try something different and to ride further, but your point is well taken and duly noted. So far, the "fun to ride" factor is what has made it so hard to actually make the move to part with the FZ8. There are a few regional rental companies that rent nice sport touring bikes, so maybe I need to go do that a few times first and get it out of my system that way instead and re-evaluate. Also, I'm watching Yamaha closely to see what they are doing with the new (1049cc snowmobile) triple engine while watching out for any possible upcoming FZ1 replacements. I think there is a LOT MORE TO COME with the new Yamaha Triple engine platform. I rode a nice new 2013 Ninja 1000 with a small windshield the other day, and it was like riding an FZ8 but with good low end and more top end overdrive in the top gears for freeway. I think this is a glimpse into the "middle ground" future of lighter liter bikes for sport touring somewhere between the FZ8 and Triumph Sprint. If they come out with an FZ1 triple (replacement) with more HP, detachable bags, I'm in. Keeping the FZ8 for now. Appreciate your note.

Last edited:

decooney

Haha, you beat me to it! I was going to see if it was time yet. The US-20 is actually back-ordered here in Canada until at least June 16th, and I am taking a trip June-14. Oh the irony!!

Woody, Ripemup,
Update: I unpackaged my US-10, US-20 tail bags and my R20 backpack I had stored. Used the 10/20 once and never used the backpack which is the coolest piece. I was hoping to see if I could add a 4th or 5th bag to the sides, but I might still do hard bags for an upcoming trip in September. After looking again at how the 10/20 integrate into each other, and how the 10 bag plug-in attaches to the rear of the R20 backpack, there are flexible options. I'll probably just sell them as a trio set IF I can find the right snap-on hard trio bags for the rear. Just checked and the hard bag units I was looking at were discontinued and the alternative is out of stock and freakin' expensive - wow. I don't really need them until Sept, so I might sell the Trio together in a few weeks, and realize you guys are only looking for the US-20. You can probably find a single US-20 if you keep looking. It's worth searching for, these are nice quality well made bags, buckles, and the mounting setup is clean.

Ripemup

Woody, Ripemup,
Update: I unpackaged my US-10, US-20 tail bags and my R20 backpack I had stored. Used the 10/20 once and never used the backpack which is the coolest piece. I was hoping to see if I could add a 4th or 5th bag to the sides, but I might still do hard bags for an upcoming trip in September. After looking again at how the 10/20 integrate into each other, and how the 10 bag plug-in attaches to the rear of the R20 backpack, there are flexible options. I'll probably just sell them as a trio set IF I can find the right snap-on hard trio bags for the rear. Just checked and the hard bag units I was looking at were discontinued and the alternative is out of stock and freakin' expensive - wow. I don't really need them until Sept, so I might sell the Trio together in a few weeks, and realize you guys are only looking for the US-20. You can probably find a single US-20 if you keep looking. It's worth searching for, these are nice quality well made bags, buckles, and the mounting setup is clean.

Thanks for your post! I certainly get the appeal of those bags. I've been pretty focused on finding them - and finally did at Revzilla who have several in stock but can only ship them to US locations in my time frame...for a cost! I am leaving on the June 7th so nothing like last minute!

I actually was thinking the 10/20 combo is what I'll need since I'm going on a week long trip but it will cost $300 to rush just the US-20 to Blaine where I can zip down and grab it. SInce I to am only looking at 1 or maybe two trips over 3 days per year I think I may just suck it up and buy the Ogio 20 litre tail bag ($85 Cdn). I can strap either a US-10 or just a regular 10 litre dry bag on top and be good to go. A bit more work to set up the straps, and way less waterproof but hard to argue with saving over $100!:2cents:

I use a backpack all the time around town so all 3 isn't out of the question but it's about time and money. :cool:

decooney

Does anyone have a picture of the strap mounting points under the seat that are being used?

IMO: The mounting points are forward and reward underneath the rear tail section to a point where you really can't see in a photo too easy. When you pull the passenger/pillion seat off, you simply look for locating points in all four corners to loop the straps too, and poke the loop ends just barely out from under the seat to each of the corners is what I do. I like this setup because you don't have large clips just hanging out like see on other brands. Only the very small cloth loops barely stick out on the Kriega setup.

Bagman

Thanks. I'll look for the points you speak of in the light of day tomorrow. I have the OGIO Tailbag, and I know what you mean with the buckles. I currently use two key-rings to connect two/four straps each together and criss-cross them underneath the seat. When I am not using the bag at all on a ride, simple remove the straps, but it's a pain to set them back up again each time.