killed my first deer yesterday

hypo

health update:

gimpy. big huge bruise(really a hematoma) under my ribline/above my hip on the right side (mirror or handlebar?) skinned up knees are healing, skinned up forearm is healing, smaller bruises on my butt/hips... shoulders and upper body took the brunt of the impact. was on vicodin for about a week, got off it cold turkey on saturday and went back to work on Monday. can't lift my arms over my head, right side is worse though. muscles around my neck and across my shoulders are really sore, and I have some yellowing bruises on my right shoulder. ATGATT... can't say it enough.

Ortho doctor pushed me out to March 14 up by where the accident happened, so I got an appointment with my family doc practice which is part of a PT group with close ties to an ORTHO group on thursday, so I should have some trained eyes looking me over before the weekend with a plan for Physical Therapy and Ortho if I need it shortly thereafter.

packnrat

hay being around to complain is the best part.
the last deer i hit could not be found...bit i was in a 18 wheel rig doing 60 mph (legal in nevada). just dented the bumper. had to be deer burger out on the side of the hill..but them buggers are sturdy.
hit one with the cage (low speed) it went sliding on it's back a good 40 ft legs flaying in the air, got up and ran down the rd till it crossed again in front of me. and just ran off into the dark like nothing happened.

now if only we could take a hit like that and keep on going.

hypo

Started shock therapy yesterday afternoon. I think it might help. the PT who checked me out treated me like a car (which is how I prefer doc's to work) and checked how far I could raise my arms, checked the angles, had me push against him at different bends etc... really did a thorough diagnostics. Its also been a few weeks since the accident and he asked how the pain has progressed and picked the spots that were hurt the most. So the body is slowly healing itself but the shock therapy should help exercise the really stretched muscles. He said I should be good to go in a few weeks, so the wife and I celebrated with a steak dinner, motorcycle shopping, and ordered my helmet and leathers!

D

Deleted member 438

Started shock therapy yesterday afternoon. I think it might help. the PT who checked me out treated me like a car (which is how I prefer doc's to work) and checked how far I could raise my arms, checked the angles, had me push against him at different bends etc... really did a thorough diagnostics. Its also been a few weeks since the accident and he asked how the pain has progressed and picked the spots that were hurt the most. So the body is slowly healing itself but the shock therapy should help exercise the really stretched muscles. He said I should be good to go in a few weeks, so the wife and I celebrated with a steak dinner, motorcycle shopping, and ordered my helmet and leathers!

What's hurting you the most right now? Are you getting another FZ8? I hope you're at 100% soon.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
What's hurting you the most right now? Are you getting another FZ8? I hope you're at 100% soon.

I had the electro shock therapy after a broken collar bone a few years ago. It works very well. It is sore the day after, but I was amazed at how soon I was about to get back in the gym. Daily exercises help also. I am sure the doctor already told you that.

hypo

hurts the most: Ribs (probably 2 or 3 right next to each other) right where they connect in the front and in the back behind my shoulder blade (right side.) OMG every SINGLE TIME I sneeze I am in serious pain.

my traps/lats/the back sides of my arms and the muscles across the shoulders and upper chest/back are all slowly coming back into normal, but they hurt regularly and I have to warm them up to get through the day.

my left wrist took a slam on the pavement, so the muscles that control my thumb and pointer finger at the wrist still hurt and will need some work. I've always preferred short gloves for movement and ease of on/off... but I'll be looking into some guantlets this time.

Doc says I should be good on muscles within the next month, ribs will take longer but my daily routine is good "exercise" for the muscles and to keep it up. I'm already looking for new bikes that are available. Found only one '11 FZ8 available at a decent price (they aren't dropping prices here in TX) and only found 3 FZ8 '12's. I don't want to go buying anything really until I'm fully healed or ALMOST fully healed so I can avoid the desire to go out riding before I'm ready... My helmet will be here by the end of the month, and if I DO find a bike, my wife can always drive it home for me. :)

TeleRob

frame sliders that work?

Hey hypo,
What kind of sliders were those?
I just got my '11 FZ8 last Saturday, and those look like they did a pretty good job for your bike.

I'm glad to see that you're gonna get back on the horse so to speak...

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 438

Hypo,
Glad to hear you're doing better. I wiped out on first motorcycle 11 years ago and then I was t boned by a car while riding my bicycle 5 years ago. In both accidents I was able to walk away and healed well with PT, but now I'm discovering that I have back problems. I'm not sure if the back problems have anything to do with my old accidents, but I'm betting they do. Just make sure that everything is well with your body before getting back to your normal routine.

hypo

yep. Definitely Doom. I go to the Chiropractor at least 2 times a year to get straight.

C

Camo

I'm glad I know you're alright...The most disturbing pic is the one where they're putting you on the stretcher. That's a sight I hope I never have to see or be.

You certainly did a job on that Deer. Looks like you just clipped the rear of him, another split second and you take some fluff off of his tail I'm guessing?

hypo

what shocked me was the fact that I saw the deer's head under my left handgrip... how did it get there so damn fast? I was doing 55mph! I only had the slightest hint that the deer was coming and all I got to do was take my hand off the gas... but yeah, if I'd had maybe 1 full second more I would have scared the shit out of myself and the deer and there would be two more deer still alive today.

hypo

this made the news yesterday: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH5FFS_qnjY"]Biker Hits Trailer - Brutal Accident - YouTube[/ame]

very similar to what happened to me and the deer.

Last edited:

reALIGNed

Glad to see your alive, not many survive those types of collisions......but next time you need deer meat use a gun or a bow and arrow.