kicking from 2nd to neutral when pushed

compensation

Anyone deal with this? Twice when I was WOT it kicked in neutral, and while I was riding a wheely it kicked in neutral. Starting to get tired of these yamaha quirks.

C

Camo

You sure you aren't tapping it down by accident? Can't say it's ever happened to me or anyone else I know that owns Yamahas.

compensation

Good thought. But I don't think so. It doesn't do it on my Suzuki, Honda, or Kawasaki so that is why I'm stumped. You would think if I kick it down even though my foot is under it that I would do it on the other 3. My Buell didn't do it either when I had it.

And it will stay in second gear for a second or two

Last edited:

compensation

You know what? Maybe since It happened when I had running shoes on, maybe with boots I get a better shift. Let me test this theory. Just thinking since it has only done it in second I might not be putting enough pressure up. I do have it on my gopro when I was doing a wheely. You get caught off guard real quick when you loose all power in that situation.

D

DJK1505

make sure you are shifting completely. This bike has a longish throw from 1-2. Even with my reverse shift I have missed 2 and ended up in neutral.

Double check your clutch adjustment, make sure you are not partially pulling on your clutch assy. It could be slipping a tad and you dont notice it, then any pressure on the shift lever will make it fall out of gear.

Other than those two issues I dont know. These transmision are pretty rock solid, shift like a freight train, but they can take some abuse. Look into the above and see if that takes care of your issue. Next step is to drain your oil and look for metal residue, or have the oil sampled and see if there is any metal deposits in it. But I would bet its your shifting or clutch.

DJ

compensation

I agree, I don't think I put enough pressure when shifting into second. Also the other bikes I have might not do this since they don't slam in gear like the 8 does. I would be testing this out if it wasn't raining all weekend. Talk about a downer

D

DJK1505

I know the feeling man. Just repaired my idle issue and think I have narrowed down my hesitation issues, but cant go out and test it. Dang rain!!!!!

DJ