K&N filter makes air box cover not sit completely flush?

Rgraphic

I installed the K&N air filter and after replacing the screws on the air box cover realized the cover doesn't sit completely flush between the middle and top screws. Removing the metal plate that goes around the outside of the filter will allow it to close completely but then the middle screw cannot be secured. Its as if K&N measured the filter dimensions not taking that plate will make it sit slightly higher. Has anyone else noticed this? The picture isn't very good, but basically showing the area where its not flush and the seam is a bit exposed where the cover comes together.

cambo

Avid Rider
hmmm, weird, my k&n fit like a glove

you're making sure the metal plate is on top of the filter right?

Rgraphic

Yeah, filter is in the correct side down and the plate is on top correctly. Took it all apart twice just to check since i haven't heard about this before installing.

Blanchy

Damn

I just installed my new K & N and have the same problem! Read the instructions, fitted correctly and it makes the cover sit up exactly as the OPs photo shows!

RoadKill

no problems with the K&N filter here. when the filter comes out of the box it is backwards you have to flip things around.

let me say it a little more clearly. place the filter with the groove side down then the metal part on top of that. That holds the filter down tight when the middle screw goes on the box top.

Last edited:

Blanchy

My point is that its not right. A premium priced product should fit. Without running the bike and painting fuel on the gap, you can't tell if its sealing properly.

F3NIX

The the K&N filter make a big difference? I still am running stock on my bike.... Maybe I should change it too :)

Blanchy

Did you hear anything back from the K&N R&D guys? I'm having the same problem.

Their comments were something like some airboxes are different and are you sure yours was not bent already etc etc A brush off but they sent me another filter that also does not fit.
Everyone that has contacted them seems to get the "We haven't heard of this" line. I don't think they are interested.

ajhaney

I mailed mine back today. I put the stock filter back in and I'll probably wait until they solve the problem before I buy one again. I heard in another thread that BMC air filters are just as good, but I looked online today and they are more expensive. Additionally, since I cranked down the screws on my airbox when I had the K&N installed, the top portion of my airbox got slightly warped and now there is still a 1 mm gap in the seam with the stock filter installed (as opposed to a 2 or 3 mm gap). I sealed the gap with silicon gasket stuff and then stretched electical tape across the seam. Should keep air from getting hopefully.

Hellgate

Honestly the stock filter is very good. 1) It fits correctly, 2) It filters out dirt and dust, 3) it is a HEPA style filter, not a "paper" one.

I don't see a reason to use a K&N unless there is a truly custom application.

Heck, the Buell 1125R won Daytona Sportbike with an OEM HEPA.

F3NIX

Honestly the stock filter is very good. 1) It fits correctly, 2) It filters out dirt and dust, 3) it is a HEPA style filter, not a "paper" one.

I don't see a reason to use a K&N unless there is a truly custom application.

Heck, the Buell 1125R won Daytona Sportbike with an OEM HEPA.

Thanks. I wasnt sure if there was a drastic difference in the amount of air flow. I prefer to stay stock...I only have 283 miles on the bike :)

xXAvroArrowXx

Stock filter also filters better. K&N allow more airflow, but also more particulates. Them particulates don't play nice with engine internals.

ajhaney

Good to hear about the stock filter. Makes me a little less annoyed about having to send the K&N filter back. My airbox top is still warped though! Oh well...

F3NIX

That sucks and as bad as this is going to sound...im glad it was you that figured that out and not me!! Usually its the other way around!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2