I just need to bitch - FZ8S cowling

sinclap2

Lazy
I know many of you dont have the S version/fazer8 version of the bike, but I was wondering if anyone else who does has found this or whether it is just me?

Today I removed the front cowling from the bike in prep to putting a gear indicator on. I was just to making sure I could do it and I also wanted to take the new torque wrench for a test run. It was pretty easy (Esp. with instructions). I couldn't have been happier :). The point where I thgt I was going to have problem, wasn't a problem. The problem was in the final step of putting the black trim of the cowling back on. It clicks into place without a hassle, but those flipping screws are a complete bitch!

Now, thescrews are not in a difficult spot or position, they're just a true bitch to get them to bite into the thread! They werent cross threding, they just wouldn't start threading! I could hear metal touching metal when i put them in, but they wouldn't bite! I must not have been holding my head and tongue the right way. However, I finally got everything done but cheese & crackers, I was about to lose it!

I just couldn't believe how hard it was to put that damn bit of trim back on the bike!? It was a tad frustrating getting so close to the end of what I needed to do, only to be held to ransom by an annoying piece of trim!:mad: such :bs2:

I have vented now, I feel better. :D

Harrywz

I know many of you dont have the S version/fazer8 version of the bike, but I was wondering if anyone else who does has found this or whether it is just me?

Today I removed the front cowling from the bike in prep to putting a gear indicator on. I was just to making sure I could do it and I also wanted to take the new torque wrench for a test run. It was pretty easy (Esp. with instructions). I couldn't have been happier :). The point where I thgt I was going to have problem, wasn't a problem. The problem was in the final step of putting the black trim of the cowling back on. It clicks into place without a hassle, but those flipping screws are a complete bitch!

Now, thescrews are not in a difficult spot or position, they're just a true bitch to get them to bite into the thread! They werent cross threding, they just wouldn't start threading! I could hear metal touching metal when i put them in, but they wouldn't bite! I must not have been holding my head and tongue the right way. However, I finally got everything done but cheese & crackers, I was about to lose it!

I just couldn't believe how hard it was to put that damn bit of trim back on the bike!? It was a tad frustrating getting so close to the end of what I needed to do, only to be held to ransom by an annoying piece of trim!:mad: such :bs2:

I have vented now, I feel better. :D

Haven't done that yet. A trick my old man taught me was to first turn the screw in reverse and then try to tighten it and this seems to work. I noticed from the parts diagram that this uses spring nuts (speed nuts) and sometimes you need to add downward pressure on the screw in order to get it started. One other thing, did you apply a foam strip to the inner part of the black cowling where it contacts the main cowling? I have noticed a 5k buzz from plastic against plastic rubbing. Its irritating but not irritating enough to take it apart.

C

Camo

Sorry to hear you had trouble... But I heard "gear indicator" and my interest was indeed spiked :)
Have you bought one?

sixtus

There's one screw that always gives me problems like that (I've gone through 3 sets of aftermarket front blinkers so far, so I've taken those cowls off a bunch of times)... definitely frustrating.

But yeah, I'd like to hear about your gear indicator if you got one. How hard it was to install, etc.

sinclap2

Lazy
...reverse and then try to tighten
...add downward pressure
...foam strip to the inner part of the black cowling.

I'll give the reverse trick a try.

The downward pressure kinda/sorta what ended up doing, but if I put much more pressure on it/them I think I would have snapped the plastic :p

Nope, I haven't put a foam strip on the cowling yet.

I ve removed them and put back together like a ten times and never had a problem
You b.stard!:D

Yep, I bought a HealTech GIPro X-Type from Blue Monkey Motorsport. You can get a variety of colours for LED (I got blue)
Blue Monkey Motorsports/Cal-Sportbike ::: HealTech Electronics, Speedo Healer, Pipercross air filters, Galfer, GIPro, X-TRE, OBD Tool, FI Tuner Pro

It isn't on just yet, I keep running out of time to finish what I start at the moment.

I'm taking photo's as I go to hopefully to put together an install procedure specifically for the FZ8. There is a dutch version out there, which is helpful, but some of the google translation isn't the greatest!

sinclap2

Lazy
Just giving you an update on the gear indicator.

It is installed, well sort of...

Was it easy to install? If you're more familiar with the bike than I am/was then yes, it is probably a pretty easy install. By familiar, I mean taking it apart, etc. I think I might have made this harder for myself than I should have too.

With this gear indicator there are four connections you have to make (it is actually only three, because on of them is a flow through, but you still need to make two connections...blah, blah). Three out of the four are a piece of cake the fourth is a total $#%%%#! Well it was for me.

The fourth connection is to the crankshaft position sensor. The connector from the sensor to the main loom bundle is deep down in the underneath the petrol tank and airbox. You don't need to take the air box off, but it helps.

So, I thought I had the wiretap on properly to the sensor, but now "me thinking, not so much"

I have current (as the screen lights up and will go into Learning mode) and the indicator registers that the rear wheel is turning, which is all good! :D But what it isn't doing is registering the engine speed (RPM) through the crankshaft position sensor. So, after a second attempted at it today, checking that wiretap visually (that the both wires had been tapped), then putting everything back together and it still not working, I am going to have to try again. But not this weekend, I just filled the tank up and I could be bothered siphoning it out again!

One good thing has come out of this, I have no prob's or qualms about pulling the bike to bits anymore!

Here are a couple of crappy pics:

Of the gear indicator under the speedo
With the flash (which makes it hard to see :p)

Without out the flash (which makes everything else hard to see)

The connector I had trouble with (my hands are too big). I know this image is out of context, but just believe me want small hands to be able uncouple it! :)