How many KM or Miles do you get from a tank in your FZ

[]V[]addog

hey guys,
Thought it would be good to share how far we can go on a full tank. I reset my trip meter every time I fill up, but last night was the first time I got a chance to push limits of the tank. I was highway driving, steady at 120 km/h and got an astonishing 280 km! Empty was not even flashing until I put the bike on its kickstand.

Does anyone know how far you can go once the fuel light starts to flash? I'm guessing I could have gotten 300 km! I was very impressed.

What have your experiences been?

Shorted

I fill up as soon as the low fuel light starts flashing. I get an average of 120 miles per fill up.
According to the owners manual, reserve tank is 0.9 U.S gallon.

Rotaryknight

The most I ever got before reserve kicks in was 160 miles.
But normally I get about 120-130 miles before the reserve fuel starts. I spend 20 miles going 80mph. I find that its right at the rpm point where the toque surge happens at 6krpm.

[]V[]addog

when you say reserve, you mean with the fuel light starts to blink?
when on the side stand it kicked in earlier. .9 gallons could get you pretty far at low RPM's

Rotaryknight

I normally wait till the F-trip comes on to fill up with gas, people say it should come on when the E starts to blink, but that doesnt happen to me, after maybe 5-10 more miles of blinking, then the F-trip activates.

[]V[]addog

I normally wait till the F-trip comes on to fill up with gas, people say it should come on when the E starts to blink, but that doesnt happen to me, after maybe 5-10 more miles of blinking, then the F-trip activates.

i;d like to have a bottle of fuel with me and see how long i coudl go on Ftrip

alexk

Weekend Rider
This is a great opportunity to pimp Fuelly - a website I use to research and track fuel mileage. It's useful because it's real-world results (complete with user error) instead of factory or EPA-claimed results.

Each time I fill up, I use my cell phone to enter the odometer reading, the number of gallons, and the price per gallon (optional). In turn, it tells me all sorts of things about my mpg, helps me identify costs, and sort of gamifies fuel usage. =)

It could also prove useful in fighting true-mileage issues, such as when someone transposes digits on an annual inspection, resulting in odometer fraud allegations.

Page for our bikes:

Page for my bike:

I usually fill up about the time the fuel indicator transitions from 2 to 1 bar, but before it starts flashing - I ride 45 minutes each way, and each trip home is after the gas stations close, so it's important to me to keep fuel in the tank at all times.

That said, I usually go 120 miles between fillups. =)

Of course, that's with the stock gauge cluster. Can anyone tell me if the speedo healer also heals the odometer? If so, then we're actually getting about 9% better mileage than that!

cxa0897

135-150 mi before the f-trip comes on. I have gone up to 20 miles on the f trip giving a total trip of 160+ miles. My mileage varies from 40-45 mpg.

Woody146

Banned
F trip starts to blink and every tank the same for me...between 96 and 110 miles...have not pushed reserve, only gone about 120mi before fill up...I average at 85 mph and frequently like to ride at 120-130mph...hence the poor mileage....7200 total miles

Perron

I'm doing easily 165 miles on the highway and about 125 miles in town. The FZ8 isn't the most fuel efficient bike but I didn't buy it for that haha!